Post-Game Talk: Dallas 6, Canucks 3. Part II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think you're under-rating them. If Lehtonen can get hot, and they ad a top 4 dman at the deadline, they are going to be a team that can do some damage. Lehtonen has always been a streaky goalie, so if he can get the timing right they're going to be a fun team to watch. Stacked top 6.

If Dallas a doing well at the deadline they should make a big move or two, cost be damned ie trade the 2015 1st. They have the assets to add a couple more high end assets to that team. Cap could be an issue but still it would move them from the B pack to the A pack.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Sorry, I wasn't responding to you directly, or I'd have quoted you. I had to make sure I didn't and forgot about it, because that has happened before. More just fighting a general negativity from this and the prior thread.

Luck isn't something over multiple seasons however, but one game, or even a handful, can have luck play a major role. At some point it would even get ridiculous. If we lost game seven by a single goal, deflected from one of our guys shots, off the oppositions back glass, and bouncing into our empty net (due to an opposition delayed penalty), you can look at it as either bad luck at the time, or the fact that our team wasn't able to put itself in a better position. Both are equally valid ways of looking at it. If it happens 10 times, the same entirely unlikely string of events culminating in the same over the top kind of play costing us a cup, then you have to ask if its what ever force you believe in simply not wanting us to win. In a smaller sample size, that's what I felt happened to night. It was a "no win" game for fans of Madden or NHL games, just bad bounce, after bad misqueue, after bad bounce.

No one should expect Miller to be a saviour. I merely expect him to be competent. At 6 million, he's not being paid like a superstar, and I do not expect a superstar performance every night. I expect Lack to take over, I'd wager most informed fans of any team would given the circumstances, but that doesn't mean Miller can be a write off either.

Our top line has been looking excellent, and frankly I'm surprised they don't have more points the way they play together. I expected they would do well, what I was told was that unreasonable to expect even a PPG, and they have surpassed even my expectations for 5 games in.

It's the others I am hoping for a little more on the scoresheet though. Each line has nights they look dangerous, and a few nights where one line might even have a point or two per linemate, but not consistently.

Ok but I don't see how this was an "no win game". Hansen has a breakaway when the score is 1-0. He scores there and the game would likely have been completely different. Instead, Dallas ends up scoring just a minute or so later making is 2-0. I refuse to blame anything on "luck". It's really a ******** excuse that losers use. I generally agree with the rest of what you are saying though.

(BTW I've played NHL games my whole life, and have lost games that where I definitely out-chanced, and outplayed the opponent, but I wouldn't refer to them as a "no-win game".)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think you're under-rating them. If Lehtonen can get hot, and they ad a top 4 dman at the deadline, they are going to be a team that can do some damage. Lehtonen has always been a streaky goalie, so if he can get the timing right they're going to be a fun team to watch. Stacked top 6.

If history holds though, Lehtonen will go cold and/or injured at the worst possible time.

And acquiring a solid top-4D at the deadline is always easier said than done.

If i were Dallas, i'd be all over Andrej Sekera in Carolina. He'd be the sort of impact player on the blueline that would push the whole works down a rung to a more reasonable spot on the depth chart. Plenty of familiarity with Ruff as well, and some good success in his system so they'd know it ought to work well.

Or even Dustin Byfuglien if Chevy ever decides to like...make a real trade with someone else. He'd be a menace in that firewagon hockey the Stars seem inclined to play.

But until they add to that blueline with a substantial piece (and not just a serviceable #4 or something), that's not a back end that i can see performing well when the playoffs arrive. When you see the way some of the Canucks lower lines managed to look quite good vs Dallas depth, really highlights the problem that they'll face come playoffs if things continue as they are.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
The title is Canucks Review: Uncertainty In Vancouver (unless my editors change it, I keep getting trouble for being too controversial... go figure)

Wouldn't most editors want an article to be controversial, as those are the one's that are going to generate the most buzz and ie. more hits?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If history holds though, Lehtonen will go cold and/or injured at the worst possible time.

And acquiring a solid top-4D at the deadline is always easier said than done.

If i were Dallas, i'd be all over Andrej Sekera in Carolina. He'd be the sort of impact player on the blueline that would push the whole works down a rung to a more reasonable spot on the depth chart. Plenty of familiarity with Ruff as well, and some good success in his system so they'd know it ought to work well.

Or even Dustin Byfuglien if Chevy ever decides to like...make a real trade with someone else. He'd be a menace in that firewagon hockey the Stars seem inclined to play.

But until they add to that blueline with a substantial piece (and not just a serviceable #4 or something), that's not a back end that i can see performing well when the playoffs arrive. When you see the way some of the Canucks lower lines managed to look quite good vs Dallas depth, really highlights the problem that they'll face come playoffs if things continue as they are.

If I was them I'd be politely inquiring Hamhuis as well. Just floating the thought out there between the teams and the player, Hamhuis/Benning would say no but the plan would be to just letting it sink in and float around in the back of Hamhuis/Benning's mind then try again at the deadline to see if he's more interested in saying yes.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Wouldn't most editors want an article to be controversial, as those are the one's that are going to generate the most buzz and ie. more hits?

I have a lot of things to say about this but it'd turn into it's own conversation. :laugh:

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If I was them I'd be politely inquiring Hamhuis as well. Just floating the thought out there between the teams and the player, Hamhuis/Benning would say no but the plan would be to just letting it sink in and float around in the back of Hamhuis/Benning's mind then try again at the deadline to see if he's more interested in saying yes.

If i'm Benning and someone calls on Hamhuis, i probably listen. But i'm certainly not discussing it with Hamhuis or trying to plant any seeds there. With Hamhuis ability to take pretty much anyone under his wing and make them look competent, he's one of the last pieces i'd want to move at this point.

Now Bieksa on the other hand...if someone were looking to say, spice things up and add an element of wild unpredictability to their blueline and get the Don Cherry seal of approval on their team for the playoffs...that's another story.

I really hope we get a top 10 pick again. This is not the year to try and push for a playoff spot.

Why not? The draft this year goes a lot more than 10 deep. If anything, this looks like a year you could make a playoff push and still end up with a very good talent that might be a "top-10 pick" in any number of more average drafts.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well that was some of the worst luck they've had in awhile, comedy of errors there, obv. needed to win as Dallas is one of the teams they are competing with for the playoffs.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
If i'm Benning and someone calls on Hamhuis, i probably listen. But i'm certainly not discussing it with Hamhuis or trying to plant any seeds there. With Hamhuis ability to take pretty much anyone under his wing and make them look competent, he's one of the last pieces i'd want to move at this point.

Now Bieksa on the other hand...if someone were looking to say, spice things up and add an element of wild unpredictability to their blueline and get the Don Cherry seal of approval on their team for the playoffs...that's another story.

Why not? The draft this year goes a lot more than 10 deep. If anything, this looks like a year you could make a playoff push and still end up with a very good talent that might be a "top-10 pick" in any number of more average drafts.

Whether we sell or buy at the deadline, Hamhuis, Tanev and Edler are going to retire as Canucks.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
I agree that we had bad luck, but regardless Dallas was pushing the pace against us until it hit 5-0. They then began to sit back a bit. I don't think we necessarily played bad though, but Dallas was undoubtedly better. Our defense is a mess.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I find it absolutely hilarious how people are crapping all over our D-men when only 1 of the 9 goals against in the two losses was caused by an actual mistake by a D-man (excluding Tanev accidentally falling down).

How about actually analyzing the goals instead of just assuming that lots of goals against means your defenders are bad?

For a team with very little talent in the forward group they sure like to play like a bunch of Malkins and Ovechkins.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Game 5 and the sky is falling.

Based on the roster, the sky should have been pretty low to begin with. But I guess 3 wins to start off raised expectations.

Still, I think it's encouraging that the losses were mostly the result of dumb mistakes that can/should be fixed instead of pure lack of ability.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, see what leaps the Oilers have taken.

The Oilers management are incompetent. Having a top pick doesn't = Oilers.

Do you think that we'd have had any of the success over the last decade without the Sedins, drafted 2nd and 3rd overall? Do you think Pittburgh would have won a cup without Crosby/Malkin? Or LA without Doughty/Kopitar? Or Chicago without Toews/Kane?

Trying to equate having a couple of seasons picking high to automatically lead to the Oilers route is just plain silly.

Especially when all three of our best forwards are just a year our two away from joining the 35+ club.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Only got to see the first period (lucky me), but after looking at the stats, there's a few things I noticed.

Vrbata - 1 goal every game.

2nd Line - Each player a -3? I mean, yeah I know it's not a good stat to go off, but aren't these guys supposed to be pretty good defensively? To be honest, this has been the most disappointing line to start the season. Their production has been mediocre, and they are only decent defensively. This line is full of too many of the same players. I would like to see this line split up so that some of our younger, more skilled players can play with these guys. WD seems intent on Burrows and Bonino playing together, so I would like to see one of Vey or Kassian moved onto this line because both of these players are somewhat struggling for chemistry as well.

3rd line - not sure why Matthias is up here, but I'm glad Richardson and Kassian are playing decent together again. Matthias needs a kick in the pants. I hope he realizes Horvat is on his way back up, and Hansen and Dorsett have had more impact on the games than he has so far.

4th line - I like that having Vey on this line allows the 4th line to maintain more offensive pressure because there is a little more skill there to keep the play alive. It sucks Dorsett got the interference call (which was BS, and then the non-call on Tanev as the goal was scored on that PP...). My only problem with this line is what happens if they ice the puck after a long shift? Vey is the only guy there to take a draw? Against a fresh 1st line?

I can't wait for Horvat to be back.

I gotta go, so no time to talk about the D. Bad first period for Tanev is all I really have to say since I missed the game.

One last thing: Lack put up a .933 in that game in the last 38 minutes. Was that Dallas just not running the score? I missed that part of the game.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Terrible first period and a bit. There was some bad luck but Dorsett has to cut out the stupid penalties. Burrows with another dumb play after doing something dumb last game, you don't fool around with the puck in the slot like that just slap it into the corner. Bonino with a bad game, he was to blame on Cole's first goal because his stick came out of his hands around center ice and he was fooling around trying to pick it up and that's how Cole had that open lane. He also missed a glorious chance in the first but he couldn't raise the puck and shot it into Lehtonen.

I don't know what to say with Tanev, I guess I can chalk it up to early season rust. Miller with some Luongo like knob luck, what is it with this team and pucks going in off the knob smh. Sure the team played pretty well in the second half but some of that is because Dallas were coasting.

Listening to the guys in the intermission I can sense the rewriting of history already with them trying to say how the second line is struggling without Kesler. The second line struggled alot with Kesler so I'll have to brace myself for that nonsense.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
The Oilers management are incompetent. Having a top pick doesn't = Oilers.

Do you think that we'd have had any of the success over the last decade without the Sedins, drafted 2nd and 3rd overall? Do you think Pittburgh would have won a cup without Crosby/Malkin? Or LA without Doughty/Kopitar? Or Chicago without Toews/Kane?

Trying to equate having a couple of seasons picking high to automatically lead to the Oilers route is just plain silly.

Especially when all three of our best forwards are just a year our two away from joining the 35+ club.

Still, there is no need for tanking and it is (most apparently) no sure-fire solution either. And yes trying to equate having a couple of seasons picking high to automatically lead to the Oilers route is just plain silly. Tell me when you see such a post and I will deal with it.

Inducing a culture of losing as a mean to gain success is... folly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad