Confirmed with Link: [DAL/NYR] Zuccarello (30% retained) for 2019 2nd (Cond 1st*,) & 2020 3rd (Cond 1st**)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well I`m not completely sold that he will resign in Dallas yet. I could not read the whole article, because it says it was block for EU countries, how rude? @RangerBoy .. :)
I don`t know his agent or have inside information about his future, but I`m speculating that Zucc will look at many other options this summer as UFA. And keep in mind he has been playing on discount contract since he was signed by the Rangers so a 5-6 mil $ cap hit is not unreasonable with his next contract related to his career production.

Anyway it will be exciting summer with so many big name UFA players available, hehe.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Well I`m not completely sold that he will resign in Dallas yet. I could not read the whole article, because it says it was block for EU countries, how rude? @RangerBoy .. :)
I don`t know his agent or have inside information about his future, but I`m speculating that Zucc will look at many other options this summer as UFA. And keep in mind he has been playing on discount contract since he was signed by the Rangers so a 5-6 mil $ cap hit is not unreasonable with his next contract related to his career production.

Anyway it will be exciting summer with so many big name UFA players available, hehe.

I was under the impression that Zuccarello's lifestyle is not one where the difference between 5 and 6 million a year makes an enormous difference.

I could be wrong, and thats a lot of money to turn down even if you're not an extravagant person (Think of how much you could help your family) but it was my impression that I picked up from posters here over the years closer to his situation.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Re-signing Zuccarello would basically cost us a 1st

You know, you’ve got me thinking about something I hadn’t really considered.

When the deal was announced, we understandably focused on the Rangers getting the best deal they could and that they may have taken a deal with the best upside.

But the deal also might’ve been structured that way by the Stars as a safeguard against the Rangers bidding against them to resign Zucc. There was some talk the Rangers might have interest in a reunion, and the stars basically just made the cost a first round pick for the Rangers.

If so, that’s actually a pretty clever move.

Reactions: kovazub94

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

When the deal was announced, we understandably focused on the Rangers getting the best deal they could and that they may have taken a deal with the best upside.

But the deal also might’ve been structured that way by the Stars as a safeguard against the Rangers bidding against them to resign Zucc. There was some talk the Rangers might have interest in a reunion, and the stars basically just made the cost a first round pick for the Rangers.

Never thought of it that way, but, I’ve believed from the beginning there is a very good chance Zuccarello will re-sign there.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

That's how I always see these extension conditions

Reactions: Edge

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Perfect hedge?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Perfect hedge?

Could be a smart move for both teams.

In a world where the going rate could’ve been the equivalent two seconds, the Rangers take a third, but have a chance to turn it into a first, while Dallas removes what they might’ve considered one of the bigger threats to potentially resigning Zucc.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

It's also a pretty clever move by the Rangers, if you think about it.

I'm not sure that Zuccarello signs in Dallas, but I'd be really surprised if he ends up back here. I think he took this whole thing a bit personally - and, honestly, I don't really blame him.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It's also a pretty clever move by the Rangers, if you think about it.

I'm not sure that Zuccarello signs in Dallas, but I'd be really surprised if he ends up back here. I think he took this whole thing a bit personally - and, honestly, I don't really blame him.
Yeah, of course you think that. He was the only one who had trade rumors swirl, eventually leading to his departure. Poor, poor Zucc. He has a RIGHT to take it personally! Please.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I just hope Jim Nill doesn't get fired, I remember seeing somewhere he might be on the hot seat

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Yeah, of course you think that. He was the only one who had trade rumors swirl, eventually leading to his departure. Poor, poor Zucc. He has a RIGHT to take it personally! Please.

He does. If the Rangers felt like he was part of the future, they would've signed him last summer - there were never any negotiations until some unverified rumors of talks right before the deadline. Zuccarello signed here for less than what he would've gotten elsewhere because he wanted to be a Ranger. I'm pretty certain he wanted to be a career Ranger. Does he have a right to be disappointed and not want to sign or play here again? Of course he does. I'm not saying "poor, poor Zucc". I'm saying the Rangers made a choice and he's got a right to be so disappointed in that choice that he chooses one of 30 other teams to play for. This isn't rocket science.

That being said, I hope he signs in Dallas so we get a first. He sure ain't playing here.

We'll find out this summer if the Rangers feel like Kreider is part of the future.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Could be a smart move for both teams.

In a world where the going rate could’ve been the equivalent two seconds, the Rangers take a third, but have a chance to turn it into a first, while Dallas removes what they might’ve considered one of the bigger threats to potentially resigning Zucc.
To be fair, the 3rd is also a 3rd because they didn’t have a 2020 2nd (to Vegas for Methot, then to Ottawa as part of the Stone trade).

I think it probably would’ve been structured with a conditional first even if it was a second anyway though

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I just hope Jim Nill doesn't get fired, I remember seeing somewhere he might be on the hot seat

Ya, the only plausible way that a GM would sign an aging over his prime midget winger to a last hoorah contract at the cost of a (1st round pick) - (3rd round pick) is sheer panic and desperation. Any level headed GM passes on Zuccarello. Hopefully he comes back from his injury, they make the playoff and he plays like a giant and go to the conference final.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Ya, the only plausible way that a GM would sign an aging over his prime midget winger to a last hoorah contract at the cost of a (1st round pick) - (3rd round pick) is sheer panic and desperation. Any level headed GM passes on Zuccarello. Hopefully he comes back from his injury, they make the playoff and he plays like a giant and go to the conference final.

He is still very good and will likely be very good for a while. He is short, but he does play hard and that 1st rounder in 2020 will likely be a late one.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

I doubt it. If Stars fail to sign Zucc during their exclusive window before July 1st then Rangers would just assume Stars will not sign him and go after him as will all the rest of NHL and KHL.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I doubt it. If Stars fail to sign Zucc during their exclusive window before July 1st then Rangers would just assume Stars will not sign him and go after him as will all the rest of NHL and KHL.

If you’re the stars and you have an offer on the table, it could be one less thing to contend with. But we’ll see what happens.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
He is still very good and will likely be very good for a while. He is short, but he does play hard and that 1st rounder in 2020 will likely be a late one.

There is no factual basis for your statement.

Also what determines 'a while?' 2 seasons? 4 seasons? Because if you think it's the former, it would have been foolish to keep him.

It is a fact that players on the wrong side of 30 tend to trend downward and often rather suddenly. I think it's highly unlikely that Zucc will remain a productive player into his late 30's. That just defies general logic and precedent.

The only reason you think he will 'likely' be good for a while is because you have a built-in bias in favor of him and you're trying to back up the agenda your pushing.

Finally, investing 4-6 years, at a decent sized cap-hit, to an aging, 2nd line winger, is literally like rule number 1 of things not to do when you're trying to rebuild.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers didn’t talk contract extension with Zuccarello during the summer. They talked to his agents two weeks before the deadline but those talks were nowhere. Then the Rangers leaked to Brooks about Zuccarello is looking for 5 years. The Rangers way of telling the Zuccarello fans we tried to sign him but he wants too term so don’t blame us. Blame him. It was also a way to find out how much Newport Sports wants and tell the other teams when they ask how much Zuccarello wants in a contract extension.

The Norwegian reporter who is close to Zuccarello wrote Zuccarello is annoyed at the Rangers because he wasn’t invited to Sweden to meet with Quinn. If you listened to him talk to MSG when the Rangers were in Dallas, he has moved on from the Rangers.

Unfortunately, the Rangers management decided that the club is better off trading him. This became apparent last summer, when David Quinn travelled to Sweden to meet with Henrik Lundqvist and asked Jesper Fast and Mika Zibanejad to travel down from Stockholm to Gothenburg but did not bother to call Zuccarello and ask if he wanted to join from Oslo, which is closer.

I found it conspicuous that the new coach treated one of the veterans this way. Zuccarello led the club in points in four of the last five seasons. Yet he had to wait for a call from coach Quinn. As a journalist, I was naturally obliged to ask Zuccarello for a reaction to this story.
He didn’t respond.

Zuccarello will usually get back to me, but not this time. Not a word. This was not a good look for the Rangers, so he wanted no part of it. He stayed quiet. Loyal as always.

Webster mentioned this too. Maybe the writer is Webster.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The Norwegian reporter who is close to Zuccarello wrote Zuccarello is annoyed at the Rangers because he wasn’t invited to Sweden to meet with Quinn. If you listened to him talk to MSG when the Rangers were in Dallas, he has moved on from the Rangers.
Is this really a big deal? It was obvious for the better part of a year that Zucc wasn't in the long term plans.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not for anything, if all this drama around Zucc is legit, and I'm not sure it is, then I think it's best to see other people.

I mean I get that's it's not an easy situation to be in, but (if all this is real) it's not like this is some foreign concept that is completely new to players or the business of hockey.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
In my ideal world, the Rangers and Zucc would have come to an agreement to return to New York in July -- Zucc being sold on the idea that a playoff run for him elsewhere is good for him and good for the organization. I'm not sure why things went so south, but I'm left feeling that Zucc is being soft here. He's not entitled to the Lundqvist treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad