Confirmed with Link: [DAL/NYR] Zuccarello (30% retained) for 2019 2nd (Cond 1st*,) & 2020 3rd (Cond 1st**)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I think Gorton is a guy who has no scruples. If Dallas resigns Zucc I think he will have Dolan hire a busload of ***** trappers and send them to Dallas to break up some marriages. Half-way into next season every marriage in that locker-room will probably have a case number at the court house. Zucc is probably the type who would carry someone else's suitcase across customs, would anyone be surprised if Zucc is stuck in some prison in Thailand or whatever facing smuggling charges before the summer ends? Would anyone be surprised if Khudobin mid season cries out in the press for it being so hard to focus when Chechen guerilla have kidnapped every relative you have back home without even asking for a ransom?

Maybe I am exaggerating a little bit, but I just think that Gorton comes across as someone you rather have on your side than on the opposite side if you get what I mean. What do you guys think?

giphy.gif

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
part of me believes that gorton knows there is a good chance that the stars resign zucc, i dont have any inside info on this topic but just my gut

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
part of me believes that gorton knows there is a good chance that the stars resign zucc, i dont have any inside info on this topic but just my gut
I mean Dallas loves him and has loved him for years and they truly believe they’re contenders right now. They don’t really have many good prospects to give up for players because they’ll want them in the line up sooner rather than later, which is probably why the Rangers get 2 conditional picks instead of 1 and a prospect

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I can't imagine Gorton would have agreed to the conditional re-sign as a return asset if he didn't think there was a decent chance Zucc will re-up in Dallas.

I mean, he also just shipped the party boy to Siberia and that deal doesn't have a conditional re-sign for likely the same reason.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I mean Dallas loves him and has loved him for years and they truly believe they’re contenders right now. They don’t really have many good prospects to give up for players because they’ll want them in the line up sooner rather than later, which is probably why the Rangers get 2 conditional picks instead of 1 and a prospect
I’d put it at between 65-70 percent he resigns there

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
I am sad. Hayes I don't care about but Zucc, he was like the Esa Tikkannen of the team, the goofy funny guy who kept everyones spirits up and was also a hell of a skater and shooter especially on the breakaway and shootout. I'm going to miss him :*(

Reactions: Ori

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Those who hope he'll re-sign this summer, that's legally impossible. At least from what I've read. He can only re-sign in the summer of 2020. Chances he will ever be back are miniscule. Or is that only from buyouts?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Those who hope he'll re-sign this summer, that's legally impossible. At least from what I've read. He can only re-sign in the summer of 2020. Chances he will ever be back are miniscule. Or is that only from buyouts?
That is only for buyouts, AFAIK.

Though the Avs/Caps did some loophole-y moves in regards to that with the Orpik deal recently.

Reactions: Chimp

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It's only compliance buy-outs. There are lots of cases of a team trading a player and signing him in the summer.

Captain Midnight

@Traveling_Sports_Doc
Jun 22, 2018
Boulder, CO
You rang. I'm actually one of the USA Hockey NTDP team physicians. Work with the '01 and '02's.

6 weeks is the norm. We can get players back sooner if a plate is put in but that depends on the type of fracture. If growth plates are closed sometimes we will use an ultrasound bone stimulator to increase healing.

Hands would be much worse. You can get them back especially if they are a bottom six forward in a more checking or a PK roll. Scorers need their hands much more obviously.

Dallas Stars forward Mats Zuccarello underwent surgery Tuesday to repair the arm he broke while blocking a shot in his Stars debut Sunday. General manager Jim Nill told the team's website that the injury was a "very clean break" and that the surgery involved putting in a plate that "helps it to heal faster. .... It's nothing major."
ESPN

Hopefully he comes back and helps that team win 8 games in the playoffs....or helps them miss the playoffs entirely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Long time Dallas Stars beat writer Mike Heika(covered the Stars at the Dallas Morning News for a long time and now covers them for NHL.com) has a weekly mailbag.

Was Mats Zuccarello suppose to be a rental for the Stars to make a good run into the playoffs? Or do you see the Stars look and try to sign him long term and make him a key factor for the future? -- @Douglasbeezy

Heika:
A little of both. In a perfect world, Zuccarello would be a good fit, would help the team succeed in the playoffs this season, and then would re-sign. If the Stars saw something they didn't like, they could part ways and consider him a rental.

I think they want to re-sign him, so we'll see where all of this goes in the next couple of months. It takes two to make that deal happen.

Nill makes you the honorary GM for one move this offseason to fix this team. What do you do? -- @DanielMarolf

Mike Heika:
I think they have done a great job of getting some key areas squared away. You have a nice top three on defense in Klingberg, Heiskanen and Lindell, two good goalies, and some top level forwards, so I think you just need to concentrate on getting a couple of more scorers in your forward group.

Re-signing Mats Zuccarello could go a long way in helping, and then you can clear the decks to go after a second line center in trade or free agency.

I honestly think they are pretty close to being a very good team next season.

With Zuccarello's injury, will he be able to return in time for the playoffs (assuming we get in), and if he doesn't return prior to the playoffs beginning, is he eigible to return during the playoffs? Also do you believe DAL intends to spend big in FA with their cap space? -- @SpinnerHall

Heika:
I do think Mats Zuccarello will play for the Stars in the playoffs, and I do think the Stars and Zuccarello will get a chance to study whether they can continue their relationship. Zuccarello will be 32 before the start of next season, so do you offer a four-year extension? A five-year extension? Does he prefer the East Coast? There is a lot to talk out, and a lot to be discovered in the next month or two.

As for free agent spending, the Stars have the chance to spend if they want to. Jason Spezza ($7.5 million) and Marc Methot ($4.9 million) will likely come off the books, so there will be money available. Tyler Seguin will get $4 million more, and other players need raises, but I think the Stars can play in the top six forward market if they want to.

Hey Heika: Will Stars try to lock up Mats Zuccarello with long-term deal?

His best financial deal will be in Dallas. No state income tax. The Rangers believe the Stars have a good chance of re-signing Zuccarello. The Rangers know which teams like Zuccarello. The Stars give him the term he wants for a little lower AAV.

The Dallas Stars management really likes Zuccarello. Jim Nill was in Detroit in 2010 when Zuccarello was a free agent. Les Jackson is a long time Stars executive. He was the Stars director of scouting and player development in 2010 after having served as a co-GM with Brett Hull prior to 2009. Hull's signing of Sean Avery got them removed as co-GM's. The Stars management at that time liked him. Nill became the Stars GM in 2013 and Jackson is now his senior advisor. He was an AGM under Nill too.

The player coveted by six or more teams is Mats Zuccarello-Aasen, who many will remember as the diminutive forward who skated for Norway at the Vancouver Olympics wearing No. 48 and using an unusually long hockey stick.

The Maple Leafs are believed to be one of the teams in hot pursuit along with Detroit, Atlanta, Dallas, Edmonton and Chicago as this begins to turn into this year's version of the Fabian Brunnstrom Sweepstakes.

Leafs among teams interested in diminutive Norwegian | The Star

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Based on the first frame i expected that to be a video of sad injured Zucc skating around by himself in an empty area

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Long time Dallas Stars beat writer Mike Heika(covered the Stars at the Dallas Morning News for a long time and now covers them for NHL.com) has a weekly mailbag.

Hey Heika: Will Stars try to lock up Mats Zuccarello with long-term deal?

His best financial deal will be in Dallas. No state income tax. The Rangers believe the Stars have a good chance of re-signing Zuccarello. The Rangers know which teams like Zuccarello. The Stars give him the term he wants for a little lower AAV.

The Dallas Stars management really likes Zuccarello. Jim Nill was in Detroit in 2010 when Zuccarello was a free agent. Les Jackson is a long time Stars executive. He was the Stars director of scouting and player development in 2010 after having served as a co-GM with Brett Hull prior to 2009. Hull's signing of Sean Avery got them removed as co-GM's. The Stars management at that time liked him. Nill became the Stars GM in 2013 and Jackson is now his senior advisor. He was an AGM under Nill too.

Leafs among teams interested in diminutive Norwegian | The Star

You're ability to tie loose ends on stories from many years ago are nothing short of amazing. Thanks for digging this up.

Let's hope he sticks in Dallas

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
No contract talks with anyone until after the season which is the norm.

Nill likes Zuccarello very much.

"He'll start being around the team more now," Nill said. "He's a couple weeks in and the next week or 10 days, he'll start skating a bit more."

Zuccarello is 31 years old and has averaged 18 goals and 39 assists per 82 games in his career.

Zuccarello's injury has limited the amount of time he's had to learn about his new teammates and coaching staff. But it's also allowed him to familiarize himself with the training staff in Frisco.

Nill picked up Zuccarello at the airport when he flew from Chicago to Dallas, and said he's previously dealt with the Norwegian winger.

"I've heard about him," Nill said. "He was actually a guy we tried to sign in Detroit coming off the Olympics. I kind of knew him pretty good anyways. As far as off the ice, high-end character. You love his energy. He's kind of a magnet. He's just a hockey player. He loves hockey. He lives and breathes hockey."

Stars GM Jim Nill on where Mats Zuccarello extension talks stand, adding Dallas' top prospects to AHL roster

Reactions: Ori
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad