Confirmed with Link: [DAL/ANA] Devin Shore for Andrew Cogliano

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
good luck with cogs! he's a warrior. any scouting reports on devin shore?

Good passer and good at maintaining possession of the puck. I really liked him and thought he was the best puck handler out of all of our forwards outside the top 3 and Spezza. He was so good to start this season and hasn't done a single thing since then which sucks, but I've always liked how good he is at carrying the puck into the zone. Not a whole lot happens after that though if he can't find someone open. He's decent enough in his own end but not great. His shot is decent although he rarely uses it. Definitely a pass first guy. Has good vision and isn't bad on the PP

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Was there indication that Shore was part of the culture problem? Everyone seems to rave about him as a person.

No I doubt he was any problem at all. But was he a + in the leadership/culture department? He's been here a few years and it's what he knows. He's not going to be a part of any change in that regard. And the key word in my post was change after the word culture. It has to change even if they add a competent second line if they ever want to win a Cup. Maybe Cogliano isn't going to help that or anything else, but the trade probably isn't going to hurt anything either. So worst case, who cares?

Reactions: Blindsummit

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Despite not minding this deal, I wish we'd stop pursuing guys that have weak shots and can't finish. Unless Jim Nill has another deal up his sleeve I see this being the only one he makes for now

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Was there indication that Shore was part of the culture problem? Everyone seems to rave about him as a person.
I don't think people are saying it was a problem with more. More that the expecation is Cogliano brings more of it because he's a vet, he's been on winning teams, and he's an outside voice. Shore came up in this "culture of mediocrity," which isn't to say he's part of it as much as that's all he's known and he's not as likely to be a force for change when he's still younger than the team's current leaders who are the only leaders he's known in the NHL.

Sorry for the rambling response.

Reactions: gentleman scholar

Nerv

Jun 20, 2017
Louisiana
good luck with cogs! he's a warrior. any scouting reports on devin shore?
fairly slow and clunky protect-the-puck kinda guy with some pretty darn good passing. he'd occasionally have some really neat passes on the powerplay under hitch but yeah he's not that good at anything else

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Right but the logistics of adding said player, becomes even harder to navigate when you take on overpaid garbage players like Cogliano.
We added another million in salary for a net loss in player skill.
We now have to clear another million at least to make room for an actual useful player. Which with everyone of these Derp as **** trades and signings Nill makes gets harder and harder and less and less likely
This does consume more of the cap space, but let me offer a cynical dark cloud to crush your dreams.

What if Nill has been working since the summer to trade for one of the bigger names we all want who could provide a real spark? We know Nill has wanted to upgrade the roster considering how he went after both Tavares and Karlsson to add offensive punch. There's a very real possibility Nill has been working on getting one of them and has found out he doesn't have anything to trade that those teams want. Ottawa turned down Nill's mediocre offer for Karlsson. In the time since those offers, the value of the guys offered up in that trade have all gone down. We may well have Nill eager to make a trade and no one interested in taking him up on it because the only thing Nill has to offer are draft picks and guys still 2 or more seasons away.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
fairly slow and clunky protect-the-puck kinda guy with some pretty darn good passing. he'd occasionally have some really neat passes on the powerplay under hitch but yeah he's not that good at anything else
Shore is one of those guys who is ok at everything. If needed, he can play pretty much any forward role. It makes him useful to have on the roster when you're dealing with injuries. Just don't expect a lot out of him.

Reactions: Nerv

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
im okay with the trade but see the complaints about age/salary :\
Player Comparison Finder | Hockey-Reference.com - here's a comparison of the last 3 seasons for either guy, and while Cogliano's numbers have dropped, they were initially higher and he has playoff experience

I see it as a bit of a lower-tier gamble, we could spark something new
I also agree with those saying that no one really wants what jim nill is trying to sell

I think if we want to get some returns we have to mortgage our future a bit and push out someone like guri or while jason robertson looks amazing we sell high (i know that's probably not going to be a popular stance)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't hate it. Shore just fell off a cliff after his good start to the season. Devin seemed like a great guy but his play wasn't getting the job done. Its more of a minor trade but maybe it wakes up people.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
At this point I'm just curious as to what type of move, if any, comes next. Other than the Stars actively trying to move Ritchie

This team has nothing on the 2nd line and just improved their 3rd and 4th lines. It seems so obvious what has to happen next, right?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
At this point I'm just curious as to what type of move, if any, comes next. Other than the Stars actively trying to move Ritchie

This team has nothing on the 2nd line and just improved their 3rd and 4th lines. It seems so obvious what has to happen next, right?
How?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Got faster and better defensively. Also got a guy that generates more offensive chances than Shore did thanks to his speed
Here i though there was some other move that was made, that i missed.
Got my hopes up. Damn it

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
So not on a shutdown line but adds good defense to Spezza's line I suppose against a very deep Tampa team

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I just can't follow this shit anymore, everyone in this organization needs to give their heads a damn shake, this dumb trade, then we'll play a "fast" player with the slowest player on the roster.
We've gotten from sad to embarrassing. the good news is theirs still the Senators to point and laugh at for now

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I just can't follow this **** anymore, everyone in this organization needs to give their heads a damn shake, this dumb trade, then we'll play a "fast" player with the slowest player on the roster.
We've gotten from sad to embarrassing. the good news is theirs still the Senators to point and laugh at for now

To be fair, Spezza would get torched against any line Tampa throws out there

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
This does consume more of the cap space, but let me offer a cynical dark cloud to crush your dreams.

What if Nill has been working since the summer to trade for one of the bigger names we all want who could provide a real spark? We know Nill has wanted to upgrade the roster considering how he went after both Tavares and Karlsson to add offensive punch. There's a very real possibility Nill has been working on getting one of them and has found out he doesn't have anything to trade that those teams want. Ottawa turned down Nill's mediocre offer for Karlsson. In the time since those offers, the value of the guys offered up in that trade have all gone down. We may well have Nill eager to make a trade and no one interested in taking him up on it because the only thing Nill has to offer are draft picks and guys still 2 or more seasons away.

Whom will not be dealt if they show signs of having arrived in that time frame, assuming of course that the GM whom drafted them is still running things. How's that for irony?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

Likely Comeau gets dropped to line 4 and Cogs and Pitlick form a good 3rd line w/ Faksa and Ritchie never plays another shift. I just don't see Spezza-Cogs working out to provide us the offense we need.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Likely Comeau gets dropped to line 4 and Cogs and Pitlick form a good 3rd line w/ Faksa and Ritchie never plays another shift. I just don't see Spezza-Cogs working out to provide us the offense we need.
Yeah so now we get to roll out a line of.
Cogliano-Spezza-Condra.

It fells like a bad f***ing joke

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm a fan. Shore hasn't really done anything for a few months. Cogliano at least brings speed and better defensive ability.

Not really going to get hung up on the contracts too much. We'll see how that gets played out if we decide to make another move (which we absolutely should).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad