Confirmed with Link: [DAL/ANA] Devin Shore for Andrew Cogliano

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Cogliano is a better hockey player than Devin Shore and i sincerely doubt Shore was in the longterm plans for the Stars anyway . Not after last season and how this season started to go for him.

Early this year i though maybe Devin turned a corner and became a reliable top6 option. Turns out nope . He was just on a hotstreak.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Cogs brings some much needed speed to this lineup and some "leadership." Good for Nill to realize how slow his team has gotten. Gotta wonder if Gaglardi didn't get involved with the Hitch/Hanzal signings if the team would still be as fast as it was in 2015.

Its pretty obvious they're looking for veterans to change the culture and bring accountability. Look at these f***ing quotes from Jason:

“He’s one of the best professionals I know in terms of preparation,” Spezza said. “Taking care of himself, routines. Even though he’s younger than me, he’s someone I admire; the way that he prepares for everything and how serious he takes the game. He’s gonna add a lot of professionalism to our group. He’s fast, he’s competitive, he’s a great special teams guy on the penalty kill, and he’s a guy that will speak his mind up when he has to. He’s a guy that brings a lot of intangibles.”

This is the second time in 48 hours Jason has brought up preparation. Think its an issue in the locker right now or what?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It's a shame we somehow missed out on the piece we could actually use

I'd assume Silfvergberg is headed to the Oilers

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
ducks fan here

cogs has definitely lost a step this season but he was still the fastest skater on the ducks by far. he probably has the worst shot in the NHL and will miss on every breakaway he gets but he's not in the lineup for his offense. he's still an effective PKer and a decent bottom 6 option

great guy and one of the most respected ducks for years now. he''s seemed off ever since his ironman streak ended but maybe a change in scenery will change that. please take good care of him

Reactions: Blindsummit

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
ducks fan here

cogs has definitely lost a step this season but he was still the fastest skater on the ducks by far. he probably has the worst shot in the NHL and will miss on every breakaway he gets but he's not in the lineup for his offense. he's still an effective PKer and a decent bottom 6 option

great guy and one of the most respected ducks for years now. he''s seemed off ever since his ironman streak ended but maybe a change in scenery will change that. please take good care of him

We like players with bad shots. That's why we have Nichushkin, Comeau, and Janmark + now Cogliano.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'm a fan. Shore hasn't really done anything for a few months. Cogliano at least brings speed and better defensive ability.

Not really going to get hung up on the contracts too much. We'll see how that gets played out if we decide to make another move (which we absolutely should).
This is the right take

Reactions: Blindsummit

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I'm a fan. Shore hasn't really done anything for a few months. Cogliano at least brings speed and better defensive ability.

Not really going to get hung up on the contracts too much. We'll see how that gets played out if we decide to make another move (which we absolutely should).
Agreed. Shore was never going to be resigned. You could have just let him walk obviously, but they made a move to help now. It comes at a high cost cap-wise but at least they're making an effort. I'm sure if the situation arises, they'll find a way to make the trades they want by shedding salary.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Was there indication that Shore was part of the culture problem? Everyone seems to rave about him as a person.
I don't think Devin was a problem in himself. He always gave good effort and is a very likable guy. However neither would he be a part of the solution to changing the culture either, in the way that Cogliano might be.
Plus, in a trade both Teams have to get something they want, and maybe Devin was all that Anaheim wanted, in the sparse pickings we have to offer. So it had to be him.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
It'll only be a matter of time before Cogliano is another source of our frustration. Hopefully they throw him with Comeau and Nichushkin to make an offensive black hole line they use exclusively for shutdown purposes. With those three split up across separate lines you're practically guaranteeing zero depth scoring chances.

I'm neutral on the trade. Shore doesn't look like he'll ever figure out how to defend and his sputtering offense will never make up for that. I'm surprised Anaheim targeted him to be honest considering the issues they are having with defense this year.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
ducks fan here

Thanks for the scouting report. Would love to see him with Nichushkin to see who has the worst shot in the NHL. We just needed speed badly, so glad to add Cogliano

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Stars are a passerby team.

Even guys on NHLXM are saying they'd rather have Shore which confirms to me nobody watches this team lol.

Shore has been invisible.

Reactions: Satan

serp

Jan 17, 2016
pczSLnq.gif

Reactions: Satan

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Stars are a passerby team.

Even guys on NHLXM are saying they'd rather have Shore which confirms to me nobody watches this team lol.

Shore has been invisible.
It confirms that they know how bad Cogliano is

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It confirms that they know how bad Cogliano is

Last season Shore was the whipping boy everybody wanted gone and now people are whining he gets traded in a minor move for another struggling player.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Last season Shore was the whipping boy everybody wanted gone and now people are whining he gets traded in a minor move for another struggling player.

There's a difference between being bad and him getting traded, to acquiring a worst player, on a worst contract, with longer term
we just traded a 4 for a 2 that's paid like a 5. It's all kinds of dumb. Regardless if Shore was a whipping boy to some people around here or not

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Reminds me a fair bit of trading Ryder for Cole. People were livid, but I think that worked out pretty well.

If this is our answer to not having a second line, then this trade is a lot worse. In a vacuum, though, I don’t see how someone could be too upset by this, much less incensed.

Reactions: Henderson33

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Cogliano at least had good years in the past and at 31 he probably isn't finished just yet. Devin Shore i just don't see the upside to be more than the tweener he is right now . The team needed a change . Is this a good move ? No idea but i also don't think its a bad move either.

Maybe it helps wake up the locker room maybe it doesn't but its not like this is a terrible move.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Starsfansfromqc

Sep 8, 2018
Shore is not going to be a good NHL player so we made a good deal to bring one on that team. Plus he is fast like hell and a good leadership guy. The team badly need this but there's got to be more. A lot of work to do here again and I hope this is just the beginning.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

and this season cogliano has (unfairly) been one of the scapegoats for the ducks

like i said, he's not in the lineup for his offense but depending on who his linemates are he could see an uptick in offensive performance. i'm sure they'll be better than the corpse of ryan kesler and consistent underachiever silfverberg

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I finally dove into the stats:

All of Cogliano's stats relative to his teammates were positive while Devin Shore has always put up negative numbers relative to other Stars (not a good sign!).

Devin Shore was never quick and the Stars always seemed to bleed shots when he was on the ice. Cogliano providing some speed and a knack for puck possession should help elevate Spezza's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad