Confirmed with Link: Dainius Zubrus 1-Year, 2-Way

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Zubrus was absolute **** last night and played more minutes than Hertl. Looks like a sign of things to come.

My response: "There's no way that's true." *Checks TSN* "Oh my effin God it's true."

Z looked pretty bad last night, but it was his first NHL game in a while so I'll give him a few before I judge.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I didn't watch anything after the 1st - got too tired and needed to be up early to study. From the looks of it, things didn't go all that well for him. That's not surprising, considering how long it's been since he played last. When was that? Last year?

More ice time than Hertl though... seriously? That's just ****ing insane no matter how you spin it. May as well start playing Brown on the top PP and top PK unit, while playing vs. top competition at 5 on 5 while you're at it. :laugh:

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I'm really hoping DeBoer isn't starting to reduce Hertl's ice time permanently. Guy has been going well this year (it just hasn't converted into goals).

Hertl has a future, Zubrus doesn't.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Hertl has a future, Zubrus doesn't.

Well said.

Todd kept trying to play Burish until he was buried. Doubt Wilson is determining lineups. I'll take him at his word that he does not, though I'm sure they talk about stuff like that.

DW handles all movement including recalls and reassignments. That's his ace in the hole over the coach which you alluded to on the Burish example.

If DW gets motivated enough, DeBoer could wake up one morning and find Zubrus reassigned to the Cudas.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Zubris having more mins tham Hertl. Wtf...

That's not cool man. I hope that trend stops relatively soon. I just wanted to ship Haley off the 4th line, that's it.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Sounds like DeBoer is doubling down on Zubrus.

Here's DeBoer's post-game answers on Zubrus:

- did a good job
- tough situation
- had no training camp
- skated sporadically
- good job for us on the PK
- knows what he will do for us once he gets up to speed
- got some minutes in there
- he's going to get better and better

Here's DeBoer's pre-game answers on Zubrus:

- knows him well in the 3 years he coached Zubrus
- big body
- great shape
- not a typical 37 year old (in reference to being in shape)
- plays the game the right way
- plays a heavy, hard game
- he's versatile
- lot of things to like
- confident he can help us

It sounds like Zubrus' TOI will continue as DeBoer has trust and faith that Zu will pick up contribution levels.

It's DW who has the potential headache, not DeBoer if Zu does not live up to the coaches expectation. That because DW took on the salary cap hit and is losing cap space to maneuver if the Zu experiment does not work out. I cannot foresee any trade value in Zoo at this moment, or the near future.

So it comes down to whether Zu can respond to DeBoer's challenge and expectations. I will be at Saturday's game and will be watching the Zu on the ice.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I wouldn't read too much into the ice time thing. Hertl got benched in the third. Not sure why but I did notice he didn't really have his legs going.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
It's DW who has the potential headache, not DeBoer if Zu does not live up to the coaches expectation. That because DW took on the salary cap hit and is losing cap space to maneuver if the Zu experiment does not work out. I cannot foresee any trade value in Zoo at this moment, or the near future.

What do you mean by losing CAP space? We don't have any to lose with Couture on LTIR and he's as cheap as any replacement at 600k and can be buried in the AHL in the future.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Thirty-five+

He has a 2-way contract and...

"Basically, the 35+ rule was to prevent teams from hiding player’s contracts in the American Hockey League if they can no longer produce. If a player signs a multi-year contract over the age of 35, all the years of the contract count against the cap, regardless if the player plays all the years, he retires, or finishes out the contract in the AHL."

http://sportsrants.com/rantz/2012/07/14/the-35-nhl-contract/

EDIT:

CBA ARTICLE 50 50.2-50.2 - (iv)

All Player Salary and Bonuses earned in a League Year by a Player who is in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective), regardless of whether, or where, the Player is playing, except to the extent the Player is playing under his SPC in the minor leagues, in which case only the Player Salary and Bonuses in excess of $100,000 shall count towards the calculation of Actual Club Salary

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

"Basically, the 35+ rule was to prevent teams from hiding player’s contracts in the American Hockey League if they can no longer produce. If a player signs a multi-year contract over the age of 35, all the years of the contract count against the cap, regardless if the player plays all the years, he retires, or finishes out the contract in the AHL."

EDIT:

All Player Salary and Bonuses earned in a League Year by a Player who is in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective), regardless of whether, or where, the Player is playing, except to the extent the Player is playing under his SPC in the minor leagues, in which case only the Player Salary and Bonuses in excess of $100,000 shall count towards the calculation of Actual Club Salary

Yep, his contract is treated like any other two-way deal...

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

EDIT:

Your reading the CBA wrong. The exception for playing in the minor leagues for a 35+ player is that cap is only counted on his salary portion that exceeds $100K for the 2nd year and later years of the contract. The first year salary counts fully which is where Zubrus is.

Look at it this way... the purpose of this clause is to prevent teams from burying long term salary for seasoned veterans in the minor leagues as a means to escape the salary cap. Your interpretation basically says that all UFA signed NHL vets over 35 can have their full salary not count when in the minor leagues. That is obviously far from the intent of the cause and not allowed.

Otherwise, teams rich in revenue would sign old vets except to get one or two years of practical service but sign a huge, 5-year deal with majority off the cap. If this were the case, Montreal, Rangers, and a few other teams would be snatching up expensive vets.

Couple this with, by my count, DW is at 48 men on the 50-man roster limit. He does not appear to have much maneuvering room without trades.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Zubrus' contract would not count against the cap if he is assigned to the AHL. That's all that really matters.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Your reading the CBA wrong. The exception for playing in the minor leagues for a 35+ player is that cap is only counted on his salary portion that exceeds $100K for the 2nd year and later years of the contract. The first year salary counts fully which is where Zubrus is.

Look at it this way... the purpose of this clause is to prevent teams from burying long term salary for seasoned veterans in the minor leagues as a means to escape the salary cap. Your interpretation basically says that all UFA signed NHL vets over 35 can have their full salary not count when in the minor leagues. That is obviously far from the intent of the cause and not allowed.

Otherwise, teams rich in revenue would sign old vets except to get one or two years of practical service but sign a huge, 5-year deal with majority off the cap. If this were the case, Montreal, Rangers, and a few other teams would be snatching up expensive vets.

Couple this with, by my count, DW is at 48 men on the 50-man roster limit. He does not appear to have much maneuvering room without trades.

Its not his interpretation that is wrong. The 35+ rule only counts toward players that have signed multi year contracts after he turns 35. Zubrus if he were to be sent down tomorrow would not count against the cap for the nhl team.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Kept an eye on zubrus tonight at the flames game... He was ok. Made the right play all night. A little deceiving because the game was a blowout but he didn't do anything too bad.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Kept an eye on zubrus tonight at the flames game... He was ok. Made the right play all night. A little deceiving because the game was a blowout but he didn't do anything too bad.

Have to agree, he was decent. That's sadly a victory for the 4th line right now.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I'll reserve judgement on him until 10 games have been played. I don't have much negative to say about him other than being slow. Its nice that he's able to pk and the fact that he has experience playing an offensive role is a plus since Tierney is down there.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I'll reserve judgement on him until 10 games have been played. I don't have much negative to say about him other than being slow. Its nice that he's able to pk and the fact that he has experience playing an offensive role is a plus since Tierney is down there.

being slow is a huge problem

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Meh. Not really. If he's playing with Tierney/Brown/Torres/Smith, there will be enough wheels on the fourth line. Not everyone has to be a speed demon.

3 of 4 of the top players on this team aren't known for there speed. Speed is over rated, if it doesn't come high hockey iq. Torrey mitchell was fast, but pretty useless other wise.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
3 of 4 of the top players on this team aren't known for there speed. Speed is over rated, if it doesn't come high hockey iq. Torrey mitchell was fast, but pretty useless other wise.

Problem is that there are plenty of hockey IQ players on the championship teams that also have speed. This team doesn't really match up well to those teams. However, I think most of that is the team's issues on the blue line more than up front at this point.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Problem is that there are plenty of hockey IQ players on the championship teams that also have speed. This team doesn't really match up well to those teams. However, I think most of that is the team's issues on the blue line more than up front at this point.

Well sure speed and high IQ is a killer combo. But people get to focused on speed and only speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad