Confirmed with Link: Dainius Zubrus 1-Year, 2-Way

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Makes sense. DeBoer knows him well.

It seems like Smith might be out for a little while and their bottom 6 call ups (Haley, Lerg, McCarthy) aren't even replacement level 4th liners. He's also better than Brown.

Might as well see if he can help, if not they don't sign him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It doesn't make sense at all, this player is ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY finished.

FINISHED.

He's not even 4th line caliber in the NHL anymore and is slower than Joe Thornton will be in the year 2052.

He's so bad, that before new management took over, I wanted badly to buy him out and carry his cap hit for the rest of the year even if he wasn't in the lineup. Because the Devils didn't need his salary freed up to replace him. It wasn't about the money or cap space, it was about taking out a player that no longer has the ability to play in the NHL. His spot could have been replaced by a player making close to league minimum and it has been.

And that's exactly what wound up happening. A buyout and his cap hit is on the books for this season, since he was 35+ at the time of his signing. One of Lou's more head scratching moves at the end of his tenure, to give him a 3 year deal and not a 2 year deal.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It doesn't make sense at all, this player is ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY finished.

FINISHED.

He's not even 4th line caliber in the NHL anymore and is slower than Joe Thornton will be in the year 2052.

He's so bad, that before new management took over, I wanted badly to buy him out and carry his cap hit for the rest of the year even if he wasn't in the lineup. Because the Devils didn't need his salary freed up to replace him. It wasn't about the money or cap space, it was about taking out a player that no longer has the ability to play in the NHL. His spot could have been replaced by a player making close to league minimum and it has been.

And that's exactly what wound up happening. A buyout and his cap hit is on the books for this season, since he was 35+ at the time of his signing. One of Lou's more head scratching moves at the end of his tenure, to give him a 3 year deal and not a 2 year deal.

Dude. Its ok. Its just a PTO.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Low risk move.

He probably doesn't have much left but he can play a few games and they can decide to cut bait or not.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Dude. Its ok. Its just a PTO.

He's not even worth it. Trust me here, you will not be happy if he's in the lineup. I'd also be afraid of DeBoer considering him a top 9 player still. Both coaching staff's from the Devils did last year. He was even worse than Havlat last season, yet was played while Havlat was scratched almost every game down the stretch.

He's a 37 year old player that's been in the league since he was 18.

Not to mention, he and Havlat were both just given PTO's by the Blues and Havlat beat him out. I believe St Louis management said they would only keep one of them and Havlat won the job. Then of course, Havlat somehow mysteriously asked for his contract to be terminated about 4 or 5 days and 2 games later.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Not to mention, he and Havlat were both just given PTO's by the Blues and Havlat beat him out. I believe St Louis management said they would only keep one of them and Havlat won the job. Then of course, Havlat somehow mysteriously asked for his contract to be terminated about 4 or 5 days and 2 games later.

Personal reasons.

**IF** signed, a two-way deal (so he can be demoted to AHL if/when needed) then no problem.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Isn't a pto like 10 days long?

Nothing to even bat an eye at.

I'm familiar with AHL PTOs under which a player can play up to 25 games before he has to sign a new PTO (or SPC).

Off to do some CBA research...

But I know a player on a PTO canNOT play a RS game.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I don't mind this, low risk move and there's a decent chance he's a better fit than Brown. If not we can always make a trade to improve the 4th line later.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't mind this, low risk move and there's a decent chance he's a better fit than Brown. If not we can always make a trade to improve the 4th line later.

I don't mind it because it's low-risk but if you think this guy would ever be Brown's replacement, you're nuts. Brown isn't coming out of the lineup.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

It seems the coaches don't trust Goldobin much so I don't think he's long for the NHL which means one of Nieto or Tierney are likely to be moved up into the top 9 leaving the 4th line a dumpster fire/train wreck/black hole of suck.

Maybe Zubrus doesn't work out but chances are he's still far better than Haley.

If Smith is gonna be out a while they need help on the 4th line that the AHL guys aren't giving them and I, for one, am happy they see it and are at least maybe trying to do something about it.

Last edited:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
This smells of Deboer.

That said, I don't mind it. He'll practice with the team and the org will get a look at him.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Cannot find any mention of PTO (except for goal tender) in CBA.

So, I'm guessing that just keeps his "rights" with the team, he can practice with them, but no games.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

FINISHED.

That's quite the rant for a PTO.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Cannot find any mention of PTO (except for goal tender) in CBA.

So, I'm guessing that just keeps his "rights" with the team, he can practice with them, but no games.

Yes, that's my understanding. He can sign with any team though during the PTO.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
5f7waqp.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad