Confirmed with Link: Dainius Zubrus 1-Year, 2-Way

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is the part that concerns me. I get that having coached him before Deboer knows what he is getting and cant potentially identify characteristics that this teams needs from him - but if it's just because he had a good relationship with him... It could get bad.

I'd hate to see Zubrus routinely playing over younger and developing players who would benefit from the time in the NHL.

Be honest we felt Pete constantly overplayed his "pets" when we had younger better options available.

zubs was an established devil before Pete took the job and was a staple in our top 6 but he wore down. The problem is Pete just wouldn't bump him down the lineup or scratch him.

Thing is we weren't deep at all. You guys have more to choose from so he might not have a chance to do that.

Like I said before I love Zubs. I hope he finds a role and shows he still has gas in the tank. I just wouldn't trust Pete, but that's me.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Be honest we felt Pete constantly overplayed his "pets" when we had younger better options available.

zubs was an established devil before Pete took the job and was a staple in our top 6 but he wore down. The problem is Pete just wouldn't bump him down the lineup or scratch him.

Thing is we weren't deep at all. You guys have more to choose from so he might not have a chance to do that.

Like I said before I love Zubs. I hope he finds a role and shows he still has gas in the tank. I just wouldn't trust Pete, but that's me.

We have no "younger options". It's either Zubrus or Haley/Brown; Nieto isn't being sat because he's scoring or playing well.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We have no "younger options". It's either Zubrus or Haley/Brown; Nieto isn't being sat because he's scoring or playing well.

Right. I think the difference is that Zubrus got played in the top-6 on the Devils when there were better options available. Seems like PDB was 'loyal' to a fault and did not want to move Zubrus down from the top-6 either.

Situation is entirely different on the Sharks though. There are 0 spots available in the top-6. It would be hard to make a case to move Zubrus to the 3rd line here either. He is not going to play over Hertl or Wingels. Should not play over Donskoi (when Couture is back and Donskoi-Hertl-Wingels is our 3rd line). But that is the only place he could be 'forced' into by PDB if he wished to give Zubrus 3rd line minutes. Zubrus-Hertl-Wingels.

Let us be entirely honest though. You do not sign a veteran player like Zubrus via a PTO on a 2 way contract and try to push him into the 3rd line on a team. Especially a team that is doing well without their 1A/1B C.

I see Zubrus as being a 4th line player on the current Sharks team and possibly being the 13th F on a fully healthy Sharks team.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
For sure this means Haley is being sent down I hope.
So we have a fourth line of

Nieto-Tierny-Zubrus
with Brown as the 13th F if Couture comes back?

Or will Brown still be on the 4th line even when everyone is healthy/unsuspended ?

Last edited:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Emperoreddy has summed up Zubrus well. He was a very well liked and respected Devil, a warrior and having been in the league since he was 19/almost 20 years playing that grinding, board battling, body banging role, it unfortunately caught up to him the last year or so.

I'll be rooting for him to do well as he was one of the more enjoyable players on and off the ice.

In addition to self proclaimed music fanatic and DJ, he is also a coffee connoisseur and there is a YT video out there about his whole set up in his house.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

I don't know that I agree with this. While I hope the coaches understand what Zubrus is as a player now I can see the possibility of him playing over someone like Nieto or Tierney once guys get healthy.

I do have a hard time seeing him ending up in the top 9 but I've been very wrong about how this team ends up using aging skaters / vets in the past so unless Zubrus plays really well hopefully he's simply here as a 4th liner / depth forward.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
So I guess the concern hinges upon DeBoer choices on whom to play where? I'd say the Sharks do need more physical play from a few, but I was thinking more from Dillon, Brown, and the Haley/Lerg duo.

If it's Zubrus, and he does not make negative contributions in the way of mistakes, or is not too slow for the Sharks and NHL, then so be it. If, as FistfullofBeer states, he proves himself as a 4th liner, then so be it, as long as DeBoer does not think a 4th liner should be on the top 6.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Always been a Zubrus fan. I don't think he'll score much, but he can hold onto the puck in o-zone and not bleed shots like the current 4th line.

How's his shot? The fourth line would be so much better if someone could take advantage of Tierney's play making.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I just don't see Brown being scratched for some reason. Whether that is DeBoer or is coming from Wilson, I don't know.

Todd kept trying to play Burish until he was buried. Doubt Wilson is determining lineups. I'll take him at his word that he does not, though I'm sure they talk about stuff like that.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Todd kept trying to play Burish until he was buried. Doubt Wilson is determining lineups. I'll take him at his word that he does not, though I'm sure they talk about stuff like that.

To be fair, Wilson did dictate to the coaching staff last offseason that Burns would be playing defense and the Mueller would be on the big team before there was even training camp.

But, point taken considering new coach and all of last season's dysfunction seems to be behind us.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
To be fair, Wilson did dictate to the coaching staff last offseason that Burns would be playing defense and the Mueller would be on the big team before there was even training camp.

But, point taken considering new coach and all of last season's dysfunction seems to be behind us.

Wilson is definitely in charge of who's on the team with input from the coach, but the coach makes the lineup with what he's handed.

The coach wants to please his boss even if wins are the most important part of that equation, so there's a push and pull there.

As far as Burns is considered, it's my understanding that he wanted to go back to D, public statements that he'd be fine with either decision aside. Wilson wanted more room for the young forwards as well. IMO, we needed him at D more than a forward in the long run and Wilson is the team builder, so I have no problem with him making that decision if that is indeed the case.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
well. i'm just gonna hope that was an unfair showing because hawks. but getting more ice time that hertl ... not sure i like that.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
As far as Burns is considered, it's my understanding that he wanted to go back to D, public statements that he'd be fine with either decision aside. Wilson wanted more room for the young forwards as well. IMO, we needed him at D more than a forward in the long run and Wilson is the team builder, so I have no problem with him making that decision if that is indeed the case.

I disagree with that. Whenever he talks about it, he continually says how much fun it was to play forward, let alone play with Thornton. I think you can hear it in his voice that he'd choose forward if the choice was black-and-white. Management knew they needed him at D though, and he was fine with the decision to make the team better overall.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
well. i'm just gonna hope that was an unfair showing because hawks. but getting more ice time that hertl ... not sure i like that.

By the end of it, both were being benched. In the first period though, SJ didn't even really start until after the 4th got out there. Brown's break away never would have happened with Haley. For the first time, in a long time, it felt like the 4th line did more than just absorb shots.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I don't know that I agree with this. While I hope the coaches understand what Zubrus is as a player now I can see the possibility of him playing over someone like Nieto or Tierney once guys get healthy.

I do have a hard time seeing him ending up in the top 9 but I've been very wrong about how this team ends up using aging skaters / vets in the past so unless Zubrus plays really well hopefully he's simply here as a 4th liner / depth forward.

I hope not. Tonight showed he's not better than Tierney or Nieto.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I thought he was terrible tonight.

He isn't that old, and was very good just 3 seasons ago (and, by all reports, prior to the 2015 season he was legit top-9 forward), but sometimes the wheels do fall off. Remember the last NJ reclamation project?

Still, it was one night. And when everyone is healthy, who would he really replace? Maybe Tierney if Tierney doesn't improve...

Niaure

Nov 26, 2015
Guys, don't judge anything untill he plays at least 10-15 games. Understand - he's new to the team, he was not able to play preseason games with the Sharks or even any other team. His last actual game was last year, last regular season game... So don't expect anything from him for now. Let the guy play some games, get to the rythm, make some chemistry and adapt to everything. Even west conference is new for him.
As a player he has a high hockey IQ, is a versitile, coachable and unselfish player. Good along the boards, plays with heart and his experience is one of the bigest in the league. Was a linemate of huge stars of different generations, so nobody puts a player in one line with them for nothing. He's doing all these little things, that is hardly seen by a naked eye of a regular fan. Maybe he's not that fast and physical like he was 10 years ago, but he's not on the 1st line either. Always liked the Sharks, now I will follow them much more deeply, because of Zubie. Let's go Sharks :yo:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Guys, don't judge anything untill he plays at least 10-15 games. Understand - he's new to the team, he was not able to play preseason games with the Sharks or even any other team. His last actual game was last year, last regular season game... So don't expect anything from him for now. Let the guy play some games, get to the rythm, make some chemistry and adapt to everything. Even west conference is new for him.
As a player he has a high hockey IQ, is a versitile, coachable and unselfish player. Good along the boards, plays with heart and his experience is one of the bigest in the league. Was a linemate of huge stars of different generations, so nobody puts a player in one line with them for nothing. He's doing all these little things, that is hardly seen by a naked eye of a regular fan. Maybe he's not that fast and physical like he was 10 years ago, but he's not on the 1st line either. Always liked the Sharks, now I will follow them much more deeply, because of Zubie. Let's go Sharks :yo:

Zubrus, is that you? You got up out of bed this morning and registered here to start your fan club? :D

The problem of Zubrus is more on DeBoer. Zubrus did not live up to hype/sell job that DeBoer has been giving in interviews in the last few days. DeBoer says he's in shape and ready to go at NHL speed. I did not see that last night at the game. He did not look up to speed to me, but he did not look all that bad either.

So perhaps you are right, but if Zubrus does not come up to speed and DeBoer continues to give him TOI, this board will not be all that kind. There are probably better unsigned hockey players out there like Melker and Donskoi than Haley, Lerg, and the much of the 4th liners and fill-ins of late. The Sharks just have to go out and find them. Maybe Zubrus is one, or maybe not. A few more games...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad