Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
would be pretty rad to see him hit 100 points as a DMan

though the time he misses for the WJC will probably prohibit that

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The organization should hire a small former defender who had two way success to teach this kid how to play NHL defense as a smaller player. Maybe Rafalski? Smith looks too good to not go the extra mile to help him develop.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I really wish we got to see him for a couple of games this year
I have been wondering if he was stayed here what would happen if we were still banged up after his 9 games was up. Based on what I saw at the one preseason game I was at, I think he would have not looked out of place, at least on offense, defense he might have been a liability at times, but I think his offensive contributions would have overset any of that.

Plus I thought he earned those 9 games.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I have been wondering if he was stayed here what would happen if we were still banged up after his 9 games was up. Based on what I saw at the one preseason game I was at, I think he would have not looked out of place, at least on offense, defense he might have been a liability at times, but I think his offensive contributions would have overset any of that.

Plus I thought he earned those 9 games.
I thought he earned a look.

I think the biggest problem was who to sit for him...that and the early travel schedule.

But think about it... if he got these last 6 games as a look either one of Butcher or Mueller still wouldn't have played a game and we don't play another game until Thursday. So basically someone sits for a month.

Thing is I don't see how that scenario changes next season.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I think the biggest problem was who to sit for him...that and the early travel schedule.

But think about it... if he got these last 6 games as a look either one of Butcher or Mueller still wouldn't have played a game and we don't play another game until Thursday. So basically someone sits for a month.

If he finishes this season the way he started it in camp, the Devils will make room. If it means benching Greene or Mueller, buying out Greene, or trading one of Butcher and Mueller - they will do it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If he finishes this season the way he started it in camp, the Devils will make room. If it means benching Greene or Mueller, buying out Greene, or trading one of Butcher and Mueller - they will do it.
Can you really make the leap of getting rid of defender for a rookie?
I mean even very good rookie Dmen struggle.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

He's up for 9 and if he earns it - which by many accounts he's well on his way to doing - sharing time with Butcher and Mueller imo. Greene also only has 1 year after this left on his contract and who knows how much gas he'll have left in the tank come next December.

Many will be concerned about the lack of experience on the left side of he has to step in for Greene, but Will and Mirco will both be turning 25 next season with several years of NHL experience under their belts.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Someone will play their off-side if they have to.

Lovejoy already (probably) won't be here, since his contract is expiring and I'm still not convinced Santini will be a regular for years to come.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I think these scenarios are highly unlikely. Maybe trading Butcher? But trading your pp QB and highest point acquiring dman is a hard sell for an unknown quantity at the pro level. I'm thinking more along the lines of sharing time and/or stepping in for an injured player, but not outright benching Greene or Mueller. Unless the wheels completely fall off Greene ala Redden, you don't bench your captain who happens to be the - or one of the - most experienced, even keeled, and respected guy on the team.

Injuries occur every year, no reason to trade an asset unless the return is solid and you REALLY like what you've seen out of Ty.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Someone will play their off-side if they have to.

Lovejoy already (probably) won't be here, since his contract is expiring and I'm still not convinced Santini will be a regular for years to come.
Good point. Mueller is perfectly capable of playing the right side if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Bleedred

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Butcher would return something huge. I do find the idea intriguing. Ala
Alex Goligoski for James Neal.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I have to see how the rest of this season plays out to make that determination, but I'm honestly surprised to hear you say that. I thought you were one of his bigger detractors around here. I could be mistaken, it wouldn't be the 147th time.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd rather keep him. I think Santini is much more expendable and Mueller probably even is too.

Having more defensemen like Smith, Butcher and Severson in the lineup and less defensemen like Santini, Lovejoy and current Greene (who has been alright this season so far, I'll give him that) will be a good thing.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Smith is part of a remake of the defense that will be ongoing while the team figures out what all the young defenders have to offer. Davies WALSH Hellickson and the rest of them are on the horizon. Until NJ figures out the best of the group it’s hard to see them making dramatic moves absent a no brainer deal falling into their lap.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd rather keep him. I think Santini is much more expendable and Mueller probably even is too.

Having more defensemen like Smith, Butcher and Severson in the lineup and less defensemen like Santini, Lovejoy and current Greene (who has been alright this season so far, I'll give him that) will be a good thing.
Butcher's skating is a cause of concern for me. I will say that he has been good, has continually improved his game and his skating hasn"t been a major problem.

There is definitely a lot to like about Butcher and I wouldn't argue against any of them but the concept of a smaller offensive Dman with a skating weakness doesn't compute in my mind.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Biggest issue moving forward defensively is size.

We have a lot of undersized defenseman who look to be the future of this team. Smith, Butcher, and Vatanen all on one blue line scares me a bit. That's three defenders under 6'0 who all lack foot speed even though their edge work is terrific.

We need to find a way to add a bigger guy that'll make our defense harder to play against. We watched Tampa last year basically stickcheck their way defensively against us with all of their defenders being 6'0 or taller and half being 6'3" and over. Washington does the same thing when they play us.

Reactions: Oneiro

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We definitely can’t add D just for fun because of Ty IMO.

You want to give him as much of a chance next season as possible.

Unless you trade Butcher for a haul, I think you ideally look to upgrade on Mueller with some size.

Next year is going to be tough though unless you move Butcher or Mueller over. Gets tougher if our college kids turn pro.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If you are looking to make room for Smith, trading Butcher makes the most sense.

Especially if Greene continues to look solid in that 2nd pairing spot.

But buying out Greene or trading Mueller would then create a need for a PK lefty. Who fills that role? It would have to be either Butcher or Smith. And I don't think that is something the team would be comfortable with.

But a 3rd pair offensive d-man who gets the easiest matchups? That's exactly the type of role you would want for a 19 year old rookie.

Only question would be, would there be a drop off on the PP in the early stages?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Biggest issue moving forward defensively is size.

We have a lot of undersized defenseman who look to be the future of this team. Smith, Butcher, and Vatanen all on one blue line scares me a bit. That's three defenders under 6'0 who all lack foot speed even though their edge work is terrific.

We need to find a way to add a bigger guy that'll make our defense harder to play against. We watched Tampa last year basically stickcheck their way defensively against us with all of their defenders being 6'0 or taller and half being 6'3" and over. Washington does the same thing when they play us.
This is why Mueller is key. At least in the current defensive configuration. The idea of moving Mueller to make room for Smith does not make much sense.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad