Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's the critical difference between Speers and Smith as well - Speers's competition for RW spots in 2016 were basically guys who didn't play in the league last season, and he still ultimately lost out to them. I don't think you can say the same about the left side of NJ's defense.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I wouldn't worry about Smith going to juniors. People just saw Nico and Bratt make it as teens last year, Zacha a couple years ago and wanted a new toy this year, but even if you want to make an argument he's a top six guy now it might not be the best thing for him or other guys on the team (Mueller) to have him here atm.
Nice thing is, if Smith makes the team next year, he'll STILL be making the team as a teenager :)

Reactions: thethinglonger

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Barring a change of heart by Lovejoy to Shero’s offer of a max money 8 year extension there will be a spot open on defense next season. Maybe a trade is made or maybe a UFA is signed on the left side or maybe Yak adjusts to the NHL game and can play effectively but there is most likely one NHL spot up for grabs next year. Smith will have every incentive to work on the items the NHL coaches have asked him to and make their decision on him even harder next year. Can you imagine Smith with a decent point shot and maybe a little quicker first step and top speed? I think he will progress from here and be better. Just curious how much better.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That's the critical difference between Speers and Smith as well - Speers's competition for RW spots in 2016 were basically guys who didn't play in the league last season, and he still ultimately lost out to them. I don't think you can say the same about the left side of NJ's defense.
The left side of the defense is not very good though. In fact I might be inclined to believe that it is the biggest weakness of this team. As a positional grouping it's either LD or RW...and Palmieri alone probably makes the RW group better than Greene, Butcher and Mueller.

But none of that probably matters...what matters is did he, or did he not earn the right to be with the big club a little longer?

And perhaps on a more philosophical angle, what is the point of the 9 game look...I would argue that beyond the obvious contract implications, that rule is in place to see how an 18/19 year old can comport himself at the highest level. From my point of view Smith earned additional time here... I just think the scenario wasn't right... which really sucks for him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Barring a change of heart by Lovejoy to Shero’s offer of a max money 8 year extension there will be a spot open on defense next season. Maybe a trade is made or maybe a UFA is signed on the left side or maybe Yak adjusts to the NHL game and can play effectively but there is most likely one NHL spot up for grabs next year. Smith will have every incentive to work on the items the NHL coaches have asked him to and make their decision on him even harder next year. Can you imagine Smith with a decent point shot and maybe a little quicker first step and top speed? I think he will progress from here and be better. Just curious how much better.
Santini will take Lovejoy's spot. The transition will probably begin in earnest this year. They are both Right handed Dmen and Smith is a lefty.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Santini will take Lovejoy's spot. The transition will probably begin in earnest this year. They are both Right handed Dmen and Smith is a lefty.

I’m thinking more of the defense as a group of 8. Assuming Mueller and Butcher progress this season you may see Greene and Yak battling with Smith next camp for the LD3 role. Greene could end up as an extra defender next season depending upon how another year of age weighs him down. Hopefully Smith is sturdy enough next year to give the staff confidence he can hold up.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’m thinking more of the defense as a group of 8. Assuming Mueller and Butcher progress this season you may see Greene and Yak battling with Smith next camp for the LD3 role. Greene could end up as an extra defender next season depending upon how another year of age weighs him down. Hopefully Smith is sturdy enough next year to give the staff confidence he can hold up.

If he ends the year as our captain, there is no chance they don’t have him as a guaranteed role on the team in his final year under contract.

My3Sons

Sponsor
If he ends the year as our captain, there is no chance they don’t have him as a guaranteed role on the team in his final year under contract.

That’s a good point. Could still be a crowded field at LD next season. Hopefully Greene keeps it together this season and next season and goes out respectably.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The left side of the defense is not very good though. In fact I might be inclined to believe that it is the biggest weakness of this team. As a positional grouping it's either LD or RW...and Palmieri alone probably makes the RW group better than Greene, Butcher and Mueller.

But none of that probably matters...what matters is did he, or did he not earn the right to be with the big club a little longer?

And perhaps on a more philosophical angle, what is the point of the 9 game look...I would argue that beyond the obvious contract implications, that rule is in place to see how an 18/19 year old can comport himself at the highest level. From my point of view Smith earned additional time here... I just think the scenario wasn't right... which really sucks for him.

LD is the single weakest spot on the team. Now I'm of the belief that with a group of saying top 4 guys without a bonafide number 1 can get you through, we only have at this point in time 1 true top 4 guy in Vatanen. I think Butcher can also step into that category if he continues developing but LD is a glaring weakness that needs addressing. Smith hopefully can be in that top 4 by committee sooner rather than later.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
He had a point in his first game back it looks like. I think he should've made the team, at least for 9 games to see what he could do against fully fleshed outt NHL rosters.

But I have no doubt he makes the team next year. Offensively the only one that is like him is Butcher, but Butcher is not even close to the skater that Smith is.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Smith is pretty good. The Oilers were about to select him at 10th overall but than players fell like Bouchard and Dobson.

Smith's IQ and skating is great

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I believe that if we had a normal schedule, meaning not going to Europe, he would have gotten a much longer look here . I thought he was fantastic from what I saw.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I believe that if we had a normal schedule, meaning not going to Europe, he would have gotten a much longer look here . I thought he was fantastic from what I saw.
I just don't know where he'd slot in.

Even looking ahead I don't see where he'd slot in next year. I know if he's that good, they'll make room. But....... they will have to make room.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I just don't know where he'd slot in.

Even looking ahead I don't see where he'd slot in next year. I know if he's that good, they'll make room. But....... they will have to make room.
Yeah, it would have been tough but I don't I don't think that is a reason to to keep him out.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Honestly, the make-up of the team is the biggest reason Smith didn't make it.

His size and foot speed was an issue at times. Greene and Butcher suffer from the same two problems, notably Butcher.

There's also no one to pair him with to cover up those issues as Butcher is already with Lovejoy for the same reason you would put Smith there.

Reactions: Billdo and Aethon

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

His size and foot speed was an issue at times. Greene and Butcher suffer from the same two problems, notably Butcher.

There's also no one to pair him with to cover up those issues as Butcher is already with Lovejoy for the same reason you would put Smith there.

that, and he’s a scrawny teenager

Reactions: Billdo

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I noticed his foot speed on couple of occasions.. I wouldn't put him in the category of Butcher though.

I was actually surprised because from all the reports I read skating was supposed to be a strength. But I am never surprised how wrong scouting reports tend to be.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He's the same size as Vatanen, Greene and Butcher... maybe another reason not to have in the lineup I guess?

All three of them according to their hockey's outweigh Smith, Butcher and Greene notably so. All similar heights but I'd bet they're way more "built" than Smith.

Reactions: devilsblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad