Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I noticed his foot speed on couple of occasions.. I wouldn't put him in the category of Butcher though.

I was actually surprised because from all the reports I read skating was supposed to be a strength. But I am never surprised how wrong scouting reports tend to be.
I read the same. I have to presume they liked his edgework, pivots, and balance, cause his speed didn't seem so great.

Reactions: devilsblood

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I noticed his foot speed on couple of occasions.. I wouldn't put him in the category of Butcher though.

I was actually surprised because from all the reports I read skating was supposed to be a strength. But I am never surprised how wrong scouting reports tend to be.

His skating is good for his escapability. He's sooo good on his edges that he avoids forecheckers.

But his speed and acceleration is weak. He doesn't have the ability to separate from guys with his speed or outrace players to the puck which was an issue.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Honestly, the make-up of the team is the biggest reason Smith didn't make it.

His size and foot speed was an issue at times. Greene and Butcher suffer from the same two problems, notably Butcher.

There's also no one to pair him with to cover up those issues as Butcher is already with Lovejoy for the same reason you would put Smith there.
IMO the obvious spot for him to play would be Butchers. 3rd pairing minutes, a safe veteran partner in Lovejoy, and the PP.

But no way was that going to happen.

Going fwd the obvious spot is Greene's but unless Smith plays another year of juniors, or Greene is bought out, the timeline is a year off.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Going fwd the obvious spot is Greene's but unless Smith plays another year of juniors, or Greene is bought out, the timeline is a year off.
Is Smith eligible for the AHL next year? Or is it another year of NHL or Juniors?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Is Smith eligible for the AHL next year? Or is it another year of NHL or Juniors?
NHL or Juniors.

Would have to have a B-day late in 2018 to be able to go AHL. Bastian, Stud's, Gignac and Blackwood, all fall into that category.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Weights on hockey websites are notoriously unreliable because there's never any evidence that they're updated. That said, I do think people overestimate preseason results - Smith did look excellent there, but he's going up against AHLers and NHL veterans playing at 75% speed. Furthermore, he didn't have to beat out roster players, he had to beat out the starters, and that just wasn't likely to happen - Mueller would've had to look awfully bad for them to throw him aside and start Smith over him. He'll be here next year and hopefully even more prepared.

Reactions: R8NJ and NJ DevLolz

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Weights on hockey websites are notoriously unreliable because there's never any evidence that they're updated. That said, I do think people overestimate preseason results - Smith did look excellent there, but he's going up against AHLers and NHL veterans playing at 75% speed. Furthermore, he didn't have to beat out roster players, he had to beat out the starters, and that just wasn't likely to happen - Mueller would've had to look awfully bad for them to throw him aside and start Smith over him. He'll be here next year and hopefully even more prepared.

Nail. Head. I don't get why people actually thought he had a shot this year. He'd have to play exponentially well while the others would have to look absolutely horrible. They don't. Nothing he could've done would've changed that. There is zero reason to rush this.

traveler84

Oct 7, 2018
I saw a couple of his shift by shift games on YouTube and the only real weakness I found is that he sometimes struggles with a hard forecheck he lacks that elite speed to chase the puck down behind the net, but other than that I loved his positioning smooth skating puck skills and overall calm demeanor. He really could be a better skating better defending will butcher which is a #1. He has that same passing ability which I think is will's best attribute, he is just so smart with the puck, almost genius level.

Reactions: My3Sons

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
6 pounds difference between him and Vatenan. Give Smith a burrito and he'll be all set :)
Just because there is a 6 pound different does not equate to that difference being representative of a different in strength. He is an 18 year old kid, it is more than likely a veteran like Vatenen has a lower body fat % and more muscle on his frame. The reality is that a comparison of strictly body weight is not a sufficient indicator of ability to have enough strength to compete at the NHL level. Vatenen is also shorter, which is a factor.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I think we have a good one in Smith and he could be NHL ready next season, but another year in juniors is the right approach.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I know it's a bit early, but I'm wondering how this affects the impending expansion draft. If all goes as planned with the expansion, would we have had to protect him if we had kept him this year, but not if we sent him back to juniors?

Reactions: HBK27

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
6 pounds difference between him and Vatenan. Give Smith a burrito and he'll be all set :)
I'm probably stating the obvious, but NHL players are usually in pretty good shape. I remember Zacha was something like 15% body fat percentage at his draft year and he was one of the highest. And they're always being scrutinized by their teams. So that six pounds is huge because developing muscle while keeping down fat is way harder than people make it seem.

Reactions: Darkauron

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I liked his first goal, a big one timer from the point is the one thing offensively that Butcher doesn't have. I don't think Smith's is all that heavy like a Gostisbehere but it's still an additional skill.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
XkwkkkznWn-2.png

Ty Smith right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->