Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I still can't believe Kurvers got us Niedermayer....and it almost got us Lindros.

I'm a 49 yo Bruins fan that lives in NJ that couldn't make the switch when NJ was given the team, but have watched them closely and go to 5-7 games a year, and that was one of the most amazing deals in history. It had appeared that the Leafs were "on the way up" but man, that deal was the original "Kessel" deal for them.

Then, months later get awarded Scott Stevens for compensation for the Shanahan signing was amazing. I remember Stan Fischler saying on air that the Blues had offered Rob Brind'amour and Curtis Joseph as compensation but the arbiter went with Stevens.. (Lou argued that Brendan was a future captain/team leader/hall of famer and won!) Just an amazing calender year (counting the Brodeur selection the June before, BTW Marty has mentioned that the Bruins were going to take him next pick)

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I'm a 49 yo Bruins fan that lives in NJ that couldn't make the switch when NJ was given the team, but have watched them closely and go to 5-7 games a year, and that was one of the most amazing deals in history. It had appeared that the Leafs were "on the way up" but man, that deal was the original "Kessel" deal for them.

Then, months later get awarded Scott Stevens for compensation for the Shanahan signing was amazing. I remember Stan Fischler saying on air that the Blues had offered Rob Brind'amour and Curtis Joseph as compensation but the arbiter went with Stevens.. (Lou argued that Brendan was a future captain/team leader/hall of famer and won!) Just an amazing calender year (counting the Brodeur selection the June before, BTW Marty has mentioned that the Bruins were going to take him next pick)
Actually the there was a third piece to the Blues package I recall, not sure if it was a pick or player. But many say that Lou's performance in front of the arbiter and to convince him to hand them over Stevens was his finest hour as the Devils GM.

Reactions: My3Sons

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Reactions: My3Sons

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It would be kind of strange seeing a Devils D wearing #5 that could actually skate and stickhandle!

It's funny because Smith's poise with the puck, especially in the defensive end, reminds me a lot of Larsson. That's pretty much where the comparison ends but it is a big part of his game.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's funny because Smith's poise with the puck, especially in the defensive end, reminds me a lot of Larsson. That's pretty much where the comparison ends but it is a big part of his game.

I was more thinking of the good ol' days of Colin White. He wore #5 longer than Larsson did, and could never have been mistaken for being skilled.

Reactions: Bleedred

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Smith's intelligence is what I thought we were getting when we took Lars.

Wow, was I wrong about Larsson. I thought Vlasic was going to be his floor...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was more thinking of the good ol' days of Colin White.
179605fd8940642f1903a9b77b84957d.png

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I was way wrong... I thought for sure Smith was getting a look. Maybe they wanted him playing hockey instead of traveling for the next two weeks?

I personally thought he did more than enough to earn a look with the big club.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It also makes sense they brought him to Winnipeg before cutting him. He gets to stay with the team a little longer and it's closer to Spokane anyway.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It was a great first showing we got of him.

Plenty of upside and can't wait to see him further down the road with some more experience and growing under his belt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad