Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I was way wrong... I thought for sure Smith was getting a look. Maybe they wanted him playing hockey instead of traveling for the next two weeks?

I personally thought he did more than enough to earn a look with the big club.

I think he did enough as well. The PP seemed to run better with him quaterbacking it more than any other dman they tried to have do it, even Butcher.

I think he deserves a spot over Lovejoy, Santini and Gryba. But our staff has a stubbonr and foolish love for it's slow plodding "physical veteran presence" players like Gryba and Lovejoy, who will get burned quite often because they are not good NHL skaters, and that will cause them to take horrible holding penalties, kind of like Lovejoy did last night with his foolish hold because he sucks at handling the puck and skating.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
obviously the right move. we’ll see him after his season is over
I don't think it was obviously the right move. He might already be one of the four best defenseman in the organization. Still, I think the right decision was made. I think it's better for him to put on 5-10 lbs over the year as opposed to getting worn out playing pro hockey against men.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think he did enough as well. The PP seemed to run better with him quaterbacking it more than any other dman they tried to have do it, even Butcher.

I think he deserves a spot over Lovejoy, Santini and Gryba. But our staff has a stubbonr and foolish love for it's slow plodding "physical veteran presence" players like Gryba and Lovejoy, who will get burned quite often because they are not good NHL skaters, and that will cause them to take horrible holding penalties, kind of like Lovejoy did last night with his foolish hold because he sucks at handling the puck and skating.

First off, all these guys are RHD, so Smith is not competing with any of them. Secondly, I agree that Smith probably is better than people on the roster right now, but was that going to be true 10 games from now, or 20, or throughout the whole season? It's difficult for young players to maintain their A or even B game all season long - we saw that with Bratt last season and to a lesser extent with Hischier. The Devils have said that they don't believe in the '9 game audition' - they're not going to keep a guy who they know they're going to send down.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
‘‘Twas a numbers this game you g Ty. Mueller and the nearly signed Santini need to be given their shot and you could use a year to gain some extra muscle. I’d rather not see him get pulverized by nhl power forwards at the 18 years old... let’s leave that till he’s 19’at least ;)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Gryba, Lovejoy and Santini are all Right handed Dmen he was never really competing against any of them...his competition was Butcher and Mueller... they were never going to move Butcher's points out of lineup, his only real competition was Mueller.
And I honestly believe that Smith's return to juniors had something to do with the Devils upcoming schedule than his ability.

If you are only wanting to get him a short look and there is only 2 games + 1 ceremonial preseason game in the next 3-ish weeks with a long travel schedule....maybe is not worth the look when he can be back with his junior team playing games and practicing?

Logistics seem at least some of the equation?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah let him grow a little more, be a leader on his team and play in the wjc, and next year he will almost certainly make the team

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Most young players are sent back to juniors with instructions from NHL coaches on what to work on to develop their game. Smith was sent back with some Devils apparel and a discount card for prepaid high protein smoothies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

These guys all play a different side than Smith plays. They're all veterans. Their job isn't to be picking moving defenseman or even two way defenders at that. Ty Smith is a child who while looked good during PRESEASON should be continuing his development in juniors. He NEEDS to bulk up a bit. There's no downside to him going back. You, and a few other posters, ALWAYS have a Sky is falling outlook on EVERYTHING the team does. This is obviously not any different. Is it better for him to be playing a ton of minutes in Spokane or staying here and getting eaten alive at some point during the season? There aren't any 18 year old defenseman who step right in and contribute for an entire season like a lot of you guys thinking would happen here.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Pretty high praise saying he could come back next year and compete for a top 4 spot.
He's not really saying anything with those comments.

If it was a difficult decision why not give him a longer look? It really makes little sense.

They gave Speers a 4 game look and he was nowhere near as good as Ty was...not even remotely close. Sure 3/4RW is no comparison to a D man at 18 years old but Smith really earned a longer look in my opinion.

I personally think that there were probably a lot of reasons that he was sent back now that have more to do with logistics than ability. 1. Travel, 2. There is no adequate partner to guide him other than Vatanen and they can't stick him with him without throwing all the other pairings out of whack. 3. They don't want Mueller sitting after all the time lost, slow development and probably fragile confidence...you give Smith 4 games Mueller isn't playing for a month.

So I personally think Ty going back had little to nothing to do with his ability. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Missionhockey

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
They gave Speers a 4 game look and he was nowhere near as good as Ty was...not even remotely close. Sure 3/4RW is no comparison to a D man at 18 years old but Smith really earned a longer look in my opinion.
I wonder if they used Speers as a lesson in not bringing someone up too early. They may be gun shy after Speers' stalled development and afraid to take Smith on the same track.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Pretty high praise saying he could come back next year and compete for a top 4 spot.

He was getting plenty of rave reviews on this board as well. He looks like he has NHL skills already with the exception of his shot. I’m relieved he is goin back to juniors to work on his fitness and strength. I would not be comfortable sending him into a game against a Wilson or Marchand and the like.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I wonder if they used Speers as a lesson in not bringing someone up too early. They may be gun shy after Speers' stalled development and afraid to take Smith on the same track.
It's possible that Speers was an influence on their decision? But I think it's hard to make the case that his 4 game look stunted his development in anyway also. If anything his injury ( broken arm i think it was?) during the middle of his junior season was larger factor it would seem?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The NHL is also less forgiving on young defenseman than young forwards. A defenseman is going to be physically and defensively challenged over and over while a forward gets directly attacked much less frequently.

So I’m more likely to gamble on a young forward making an impact and learning than a defenseman.

Camille the Eel

I think if we didn’t already have Butcher it might have been different.

But am also surprised he was sent back to juniors and not to the AHL. His strengths might have been challenged more in Bing and he’d have also been handy if we have an injury or two up here or move someone out via trade during the season.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think if we didn’t already have Butcher it might have been different.

But am also surprised he was sent back to juniors and not to the AHL. His strengths might have been challenged more in Bing and he’d have also been handy if we have an injury or two up here or move someone out via trade during the season.
He's not eligible for the AHL. It's NHL or minors for him.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The NHL is also less forgiving on young defenseman than young forwards. A defenseman is going to be physically and defensively challenged over and over while a forward gets directly attacked much less frequently.

So I’m more likely to gamble on a young forward making an impact and learning than a defenseman.

This.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You could also look at Larsson too...they kept him as a teen and he was great the first third of the season or so then tailed off. Arguably another year overseas might have helped his overall game long-term.

I wouldn't worry about Smith going to juniors. People just saw Nico and Bratt make it as teens last year, Zacha a couple years ago and wanted a new toy this year, but even if you want to make an argument he's a top six guy now it might not be the best thing for him or other guys on the team (Mueller) to have him here atm.

Let him be ready for next year when you're likely going to need someone to take over Greene's role since he'll be on his last year and probably not on the first pairing by then.

Speers himself said in the Behind the Glass series it changed his mentality for the worse in camp last year, that he was more or less too desperate to make the team and stopped playing his game.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Speers himself said in the Behind the Glass series it changed his mentality for the worse in camp last year, that he was more or less too desperate to make the team and stopped playing his game.
I mean, I'm sure that is what he thinks, but the competition in camp last year and this year isn't even close to the competition it was in 2016. He has been outclassed by some better players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad