D Lian Bichsel - EHC Biel-Bienne, NL (2022, 18th, DAL)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

Obviously a Swiss TV production but since most of it was filmed in Sweden there's also some English content.

This kid is the real deal and I have no doubt he's gonna destroy the WJC20 as a double underager. The only time I've been this excited about a countryman was when Meier started to emerge as a top talent. There's nothing Bichsel can't do. He's big, mean, knows how to play against the puck, strong on the puck, can skate well and has soft hands as well. Not surprised he's playing SHL already.

Pretty much agree with this. I would say Bichsel is still very rough though. He needs to improve his defensive decision making when under pressure. He made a bunch of pretty bad mistakes in the SHL and CHL this season wich resulted in goals against. But he is still very young and it cant be expected that he is fully comfortable in one of the best leagues in the world at his age. His upside is very high though and I think he has better offensive potential than he is given credit for. I am excited to see what he can do at the WJC.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Pretty much agree with this. I would say Bichsel is still very rough though. He needs to improve his defensive decision making when under pressure. He made a bunch of pretty bad mistakes in the SHL and CHL this season wich resulted in goals against. But he is still very young and it cant be expected that he is fully comfortable in one of the best leagues in the world at his age. His upside is very high though and I think he has better offensive potential than he is given credit for. I am excited to see what he can do at the WJC.

Of course he's green and gonna make mistakes playing much tougher competition than players of his age group usually do. He has an NHL body already though and he knows how to use and move it as well. Very good skater for the big kid he is. His positioning against the puck is, minus a few hick up's usually very good, too. I really think his upside is much higher than Josi's for example. His hands are just as good but he's obviously so much bigger. He's like a slightly bigger, left handed Moritz Seider. If he continues to improve and doesn't completely shit the bed in the upcoming WJC20 there's no chance he won't go in the 1st round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speyer

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Of course he's green and gonna make mistakes playing much tougher competition than players of his age group usually do. He has an NHL body already already though and he knows how to use and move it as well. Very good skater for the big kid he is. His positioning against the puck is, minus a few hick up's usually very good, too. I really think his upside is much higher than Josi's for example. His hands are just as good but he's obviously so much bigger. He's like a slightly bigger, left handed Moritz Seider. If he continues to improve and doesn't completely shit the bed in the upcoming WJC20 there's no chance he won't go in the 1st round.

I dont disagree with your points in general but saying his upside is "much higher than Josis" is maybe a bit optimistic. Josi is a Norris winner and one of the best offensive Dmen in the NHL right now. Even if you argue that his defensive game is overrated its still pretty much consensus that he is at least a top 10 defenseman in the league.

Bichsels hands are obivously very good but Josi's are absolutely elite and he can beat several defenseman at once for a highlight real goal sometimes. He was also an even better skater and had a better shot at the same age that Bichsel is right now. Obviously Bichsel has the physical edge and overall better play against the puck compared to teenage Josi. Its still very much uncertain if Bichsel will ever reach Josis current level and I would be overjoyed if he ever did. Defensively its absolutely possible, offensively I have my doubts, even though I think that he is underrated in that aspect as I stated already.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Watched somewhere around 10 games of his for Leksands, and this guy really might be a freak of nature. Looks like a solid skating foundation/stride/coordination already for such a large/unusual frame as a 17 year old hockey player. Needs to work on explosiveness, but by no means looks "clunky" on the ice, his stride and body reminds me of a linebacker in skates but he's deceptively agile for his size, which is great to see for Bichsel as a young defender. Pairing what he's shown skills wise junior levels with his play this year in the SHL, there are so many signs of untapped offensive potential and his soft hands for a 6'5" frame along with his desire to be apart of the play certainly help his case.

The biggest knock on his game in the SHL at this point in time is probably his play under pressure. Typically makes his mistakes handling the puck behind his goal line, sometimes sending pucks into middle of his own defensive zone to absolutely nobody when being forechecked, or will throw it around the boards in what looks like a gamble hoping that there will be support. Otherwise, defending on the rush he typically displays a sufficient combo of speed, reach, and positioning to keep pucks to perimeter, very often maintains a tight gap through NZ and lays heavy hits at pro level. Relied upon heavily for killing penalties, he'll typically plant himself in the net front and he generally has an active stick and attempts to disrupt nearby puck carriers. I think these mistakes are mainly a result of him still adapting to a much faster/more skilled game compared to the junior Swiss hockey circuits. He is a 17 year old being frequently relied upon for penalty killing through 25ish games in SHL, playing between 11-12 minutes a game. Mostly PK minutes and mostly defensive zone, not really getting opportunities on offense, also gets benched after some mistakes. Weird deployment/usage considering how young he is and them holding him at the SHL level and not getting reps anymore at J20. I hope he gets more looks next year and can continue to grow and get confidence.

Finally, the best part of his game, is his ability to play with a mean streak already at a pro level. Meanest defenseman with skill in first two rounds, and it's not even close. By the time he's getting NHL reps he should be a physical force, and will be thanks to being an absolute bully some nights. Takes occasional penalties but they don't always look like boneheaded/pointless, in my relatively biased opinion many of these plays would probably slide in a more physical North American game, he will still need to show growth in making simple/quicker plays under pressure in the SHL before transitioning to smaller ice though. Won't be shy to throw his weight around, though, and I don't think the physical part of his game will ever be a question mark and should continue to be a big part of his game. I think playing in Sweden is a great opportunity for Bichsel to grow his game due to the skill level and open ice, and he is certainly mobile enough with his frame to play there at this point in time and work on his own offensive/transition game.

With his play considered, I would say he is a really safe late first round pick that at absolute worst will be a steady bottom pair defensive defenseman that kills penalties in the NHL thanks to his current toolset today. But the whole package of size/skills that belong in the first two rounds of the draft combined with the sound skating foundation could be so much more, and I think Bichsel definitely has the potential to be a top pairing defender that is a nightmare to match up against. I can see a team that is looking to swing for a homerun pick that has done their homework and knows this guy well taking him between 15-20, maybe earlier if he is a real character guy, I can't comment on anything like that though. Hopefully he's like another Seider (less dynamic but significantly more physically mature at the same age I'd say), in that Seider definitely developed extremely well following a relatively low scoring DEL draft year before going to Sweden. I think with the right team drafting him (I selfishly pray for Toronto), more development time in SHL, you may have a real promising talent here in the best recent Swiss prospect in memory.

All my own opinions/observations, so relatively biased of course.
TLDR I think the pros greatly outweigh the cons and the lapses/mistakes are more a lack of experience at this level of hockey then awareness issues, he jumped from Swiss hockey circuits to Sweden for this season and has carved out a role on the second pairing on Leksands after only 11 contests with the junior team and now 25ish in SHL, I think he is a bit underrated so far leading up to the draft. Considering Bichsel's upside, the sky's the limit and 1-2 years from now he could be a dominating force if the activation/experimentation at the pro level continues and things bode well for him. Like I said, puck skills and mobility/athleticism are apparent here with the big frame. This can be something.

He's most Pronger-like too in terms of being a mean one for this years top end of the draft and I'm all for it. He's got the size/skill signs with meanness so far to be the kind of guy that could turn any fringe-playoff team into a contender.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I d say late first round, early second if he falls a bit. Size skating combination is just to promising to pass on.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I d say late first round, early second if he falls a bit. Size skating combination is just to promising to pass on.
This is such a mediocre draft after the top 5 picks that I think he'll go earlier than most expect. I predict he'll be gone by 15. Watching TB's huge and mobile defense just dominate has to be elevating Bichsel's draft stock. Every team wants a player like him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Getting him in the 2nd round would be a crazy steal. He's as safe of a future NHL defender as you'll ever get in a draft but if his offense works out the way I think it will and the way he showed it already at times when given the opportunity then he's gonna be a true top pairing defender. 1st rounder for sure. Everything else would be bonkers. The only time I've been this excited about a country man was Timo Meier. I'm the exact opposite of a homer but unless something goes terribly wrong, Lian Bichsel's going to be a big deal in the NHL for a long time.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think his skating holds him back if anything. He’s massive and fairly skilled, but the skating is why he’s not a lock for the 1st imo.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think his skating holds him back if anything. He’s massive and fairly skilled, but the skating is why he’s not a lock for the 1st imo.
What? His skating is fantastic. Name me only one 6'5 defender who skated better than Bichsel back when he was 18.

Reactions: mistaclick

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What? His skating is fantastic. Name me only one 6'5 defender who skated better than Bichsel back when he was 18.
Pickering and Rinzel in this draft alone.

Technically I don't think he's a poor skater, but I find he lacks quickness and explosiveness. He has his awkward off-balance moments too. Probably because he's a massive human being. He may grow out of them, but at this moment, I would not classify him as a "fantastic" skater.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Pickering and Rinzel in this draft alone.

Technically I don't think he's a poor skater, but I find he lacks quickness and explosiveness. He has his awkward off-balance moments too. Probably because he's a massive human being. He may grow out of them, but at this moment, I would not classify him as a "fantastic" skater.
Same he's a decent skater the good thing for him is he's huge.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Getting him in the 2nd round would be a crazy steal. He's as safe of a future NHL defender as you'll ever get in a draft but if his offense works out the way I think it will and the way he showed it already at times when given the opportunity then he's gonna be a true top pairing defender. 1st rounder for sure. Everything else would be bonkers. The only time I've been this excited about a country man was Timo Meier. I'm the exact opposite of a homer but unless something goes terribly wrong, Lian Bichsel's going to be a big deal in the NHL for a long time.

I would take him in the first round as well, but there are some scouts that are more sceptical about him apparently. He had some bad defensive mishaps this season but those were mostly due getting acclimated to the third best league in the world in my opinion. He also must work on his shot and get more involved offensively in the future. Watching the SHL this season I felt like he was holding back in that regard. But at 18 he has a lot of time to do that. Just look at JJ Moser. At 18 he was an offensive blackhole, nowhere near Bichsels current level. If you look at him now its a huge difference.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
His lack of offense in a men's league at 17 years-old doesn't bother me at all. The fact that he was able to compete successfully in that league is very impressive. The offensive capabilities are definitely there though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am not sure I trust in his offensive game, but I do think that is a level of rawness for him and hasn't really tapped into that part of his game. The lad plays to hurt and I am not saying he's a thug, but reminds me a lot of Ryan McDonagh and why I have him as an early second. If he was more offensively developed, he would easily have been a top twenty prospect for him.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I am not sure I trust in his offensive game, but I do think that is a level of rawness for him and hasn't really tapped into that part of his game. The lad plays to hurt and I am not saying he's a thug, but reminds me a lot of Ryan McDonagh and why I have him as an early second. If he was more offensively developed, he would easily have been a top twenty prospect for him.
Ryan Chesley reminds me of McDonagh more than Bischel.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
His lack of offense in a men's league at 17 years-old doesn't bother me at all. The fact that he was able to compete successfully in that league is very impressive. The offensive capabilities are definitely there though.
Yeah. He's actually outscoring Edvinsson (in his draft season) who has a very similar body so offense is gonna come eventually for Bichsel. The tools are there, just the shot, as mentioned by Speyer, needs work. The rest of the skillset is there, he just needs a bit more confidence and more quality minutes to show it at pro level. As mentioned before, he's getting mostly defensive zone starts or PK shifts so that certainly doesn't help his offense.

Bichsel needs to work on his shot and decision making with little space to avoid giveaways but other than that I'm very impressed.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yeah. He's actually outscoring Edvinsson (in his draft season) who has a very similar body so offense is gonna come eventually for Bichsel. The tools are there, just the shot, as mentioned by Speyer, needs work. The rest of the skillset is there, he just needs a bit more confidence and more quality minutes to show it at pro level. As mentioned before, he's getting mostly defensive zone starts or PK shifts so that certainly doesn't help his offense.

Bichsel needs to work on his shot and decision making with little space to avoid giveaways but other than that I'm very impressed.
I've read some reports that say his shot is quite heavy. Is it an accuracy issue or the ability to get the shot off quick enough or was the report I read just simply wrong?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I've read some reports that say his shot is quite heavy. Is it an accuracy issue or the ability to get the shot off quick enough or was the report I read just simply wrong?
Good question. His shot is pretty good already but it needs a bit of everything to become a real threat. Bichsel's ambition is to consistently contribute offensively, score goals and assists. If he wants to do that in the NHL he'll need PP-time and to get PP-time as a big guy, your shot needs to be a weapon. I think he needs to work on one timers, shot accuracy and he needs to get a higher percentage of shots through.

Reactions: tomd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad