D Lian Bichsel - EHC Biel-Bienne, NL (2022, 18th, DAL)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
He will go to Sweden next year and play for a yet to be disclosed team there. Source.

But first he seems to have a big role for the Swiss U18 WJC team. I am curious to see what he can do against international competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: JabbaJabba

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
He will go to Sweden next year and play for a yet to be disclosed team there. Source.

But first he seems to have a big role for the Swiss U18 WJC team. I am curious to see what he can do against international competition.
Leksand.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
He had a good u18 tournament in my opinion. He made some defensive mistakes wich were mostly the result of being not accustomed to the high speed of the international game, wich will hopefully change as he plays for Leksand next season. Especially his skating stood out very much for a player this size. But he seems also to have good defensive IQ and used his body very well all tournament. If he can improve his shot until next years draft I wouldn't rule him out to make the first round.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He had a good u18 tournament in my opinion. He made some defensive mistakes wich were mostly the result of being not accustomed to the high speed of the international game, wich will hopefully change as he plays for Leksand next season. Especially his skating stood out very much for a player this size. But he seems also to have good defensive IQ and used his body very well all tournament. If he can improve his shot until next years draft I wouldn't rule him out to make the first round.

Agreed, I was really impressed with him against Canada.

He’s a guy to keep an eye on for sure.

Love the physicality and mean streak to his game, I think he has some offensive upside that might be untapped as well.

Reactions: Speyer

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Lets get this kid over to the CHL and hone his game on the smaller ice surface.
He's impressive!

Reactions: Speyer

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
He's impressive!

He has already committed to play for Leksand in Sweden. If the right team takes him in the CHL import draft there might still be a small possibility for him to report though.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He's impressive!

Kid looks and plays like a prototypical big two way stud that the WHL has developed into NHLers for decades upon decades.

Huge upside with this player.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I was very impressed with him in games against Sweden and Canada. Rarely you see 6'5 player skate that smoothly and his puck control didn't seem to be off either.

The commentators on hockeytv said that a NHL scout had described Bichsel as "a freak of nature". He is a legit NHL prospect.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
He has already committed to play for Leksand in Sweden. If the right team takes him in the CHL import draft there might still be a small possibility for him to report though.

Perfect team for him is right here with the 67s :) ( just ask Rossi)
Arguably top CHL program in the country. Back-to-back 50 win seasons and multiple 1st and 2nd round NHL picks. They run it like a mini-NHL team. Unfortunately I’m not the GM:(

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Perfect team for him is right here with the 67s :) ( just ask Rossi)
Arguably top CHL program in the country. Back-to-back 50 win seasons and multiple 1st and 2nd round NHL picks. They run it like a mini-NHL team. Unfortunately I’m not the GM:(
Halifax is pretty good with Swiss players too ;). This kid has looked really good. I was hoping for big tournament from Biasca but it’s been this kid who has stood out for Swiss.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He seems to be the best Swiss prospect in a few years. Or am I forgetting someone?

I can see why there isn't much hype. Big defensive defenseman. It's not a role that gets that much attention. But he's 6'5 with great skating ability, and he can defend. The biggest problem is that he doesn't have any offense in his game. He seems to lack offensive instincts, and I think he'll have to prove his ability to move pucks well enough. I would say this guy looks like a second rounder at this point.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He seems to be the best Swiss prospect in a few years. Or am I forgetting someone?

I can see why there isn't much hype. Big defensive defenseman. It's not a role that gets that much attention. But he's 6'5 with great skating ability, and he can defend. The biggest problem is that he doesn't have any offense in his game. He seems to lack offensive instincts, and I think he'll have to prove his ability to move pucks well enough. I would say this guy looks like a second rounder at this point.

His skating ability pushes him into the first round I think.

There’s a lot to like with him as a prospect, especially if he can continue to develop his puck movement skills. Doesn’t need to put up big offensive numbers, but you do want to see good puck movement and ability to transition the puck up ice quickly.

I liked what I saw from him in that regard at the U18s, add in the physicality and you have a big, fast, rangy D man with a mean streak. Those players are immensely valuable to winning rosters in the playoffs.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
He seems to be the best Swiss prospect in a few years. Or am Ihin forgetting someone?

He is certainly the Swiss prospect with the highest floor in the next few years and probably the best Swiss D-prospect since Josi or at least Mirco Müller (who was a first rounder after all). The size-skating combo alone should get him consideration for at least the second round and I would disagree with the claim that he is an offensive black hole. His rather weak showing at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial might have distorted the perception of his offense and puck moving ability, as he was much better in that aspect of his game at the U18's last may, where he had better support. Don't get me wrong, he is no Roman Josi in that regard either but his hands and playmaking ability are quite good but he definitely needs to improve his shot a lot.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
He is having a bit of a rough night defensively in his pro debut for Leksand in the CHL being on the ice for all the goals against so far. He had a few good scenes as well, especially when he could use his physicality but he needs to be more sound with his positioning.

Edit: Just got ejected with a game misconduct penalty for an alleged check to the head of a slovan player. Looks like the wrong decision by the refs to me based on the replay though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hinterland

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
So he had ups and downs this season so far. He got quite a bit of ice time early on for the first team but made a few pretty bad defensive mistakes. Then he got sent down to the U20 team where I don't know how he played (the team seems pretty bad though placing last in its J20 conference right now). But yesterday he was called up again and had apparently (I didnt see the game) a pretty decent performance with a secondary assist. It will be interesting to see how his season unfolds and if he can sneak himself in the first round. He needs to improve his defensive decision making though, I already noticed this at the U18's but thought that was him just not being used to the international speed of the game yet. Hopefully it won't develop into a pattern for him.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Given his size and skating he is almost certainly going to be a top 64 pick and already playing in the SHL and not being a total liability should help his draft year.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
His EP profile hasnt been updated in a while. It seems he hasnt played any games on any level in weeks. Does anybody know if he is hurt?

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
His EP profile hasnt been updated in a while. It seems he hasnt played any games on any level in weeks. Does anybody know if he is hurt?
He‘s back and even scored a goal in the CHL. And looks like he will be drafted for sure. It’s kind of a relief because you never knew the past years with swiss prospects if they are really going to be drafted.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Obviously a Swiss TV production but since most of it was filmed in Sweden there's also some English content.

This kid is the real deal and I have no doubt he's gonna destroy the WJC20 as a double underager. The only time I've been this excited about a countryman was when Meier started to emerge as a top talent. There's nothing Bichsel can't do. He's big, mean, knows how to play against the puck, strong on the puck, can skate well and has soft hands as well. Not surprised he's playing SHL already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad