Speculation: D.J. Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
You know, I keep looking at Binghamton (Belleville) and remembering how badly they sucked up until that last couple of seasons. We have a lot of depth coming up through the draft and the more time passes, the more depth we get. I'm just not sure it is a useful endeavor to replace Smith at this moment. He literally doesn't have a D-corp to work with and our overall team defense is just sleepy. I'm not sure even a Sutter can fix what is wrong with this team right now. We just have to suck for this season and see what comes about in the draft and into next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think both can be an issue.
I don't disagree with that, I think there have been some questionable decisions by DJ as well. I just think it's much more of a personnel issue than coaching, and I don't see a group that can have much success no matter how you shuffle them. The talent just isn't there.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Bad early goals deflate a team especially when it happens often. The team was quite bad in 6 of the 10 games as I have previously said but they never got that goaltending performance in games 4-10 that could have emboldened them. I mean the Hogberg performances were literally some of the worst I have ever seen.

At the same time, the chances we were giving up makes it hard for a goalie to find their footingand can kill their confidence. You can't put all the blame on one or the other, besides, its not like the team was playing solid two way hockey up until that deflating goal.

Seems like a "Less filling, tastes great" debate. How about both have been bad?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't disagree with that, I think there have been some questionable decisions by DJ as well. I just think it's much more of a personnel issue than coaching, and I don't see a group that can have much success no matter how you shuffle them. The talent just isn't there.
I don’t see a group to have success either. But I also don’t see a group that should be getting blown out in embarrassing fashion as much we have

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don’t see a group to have success either. But I also don’t see a group that should be getting blown out in embarrassing fashion as much we have
That's reasonable. More could be done to mitigate it from the coaching end imo as well, but where we differ is that I do see a roster on paper that will get spanked fairly regularly. Nothing this year has surprised me and if anything, these last 2 years have actually gone a lot better on the ice than I anticipated and would consider the team to have over achieved.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That's reasonable. More could be done to mitigate it from the coaching end imo as well, but where we differ is that I do see a roster on paper that will get spanked fairly regularly. Nothing this year has surprised me and if anything, these last 2 years have actually gone a lot better on the ice than I anticipated and would consider the team to have over achieved.
Yeah another worry is that we’ve actually seen a regression. We were not this bad last year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

...does he remember what our old division was. If the canucks and the oilers are spanking us up and down the ice what does he think Boston and tampa would do to us

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020

...does he remember what our old division was. If the canucks and the oilers are spanking us up and down the ice what does he think Boston and tampa would do to us

yes, but Buffalo and Detroit. Add to it the Metro's, NJ. You have Nashville and Dallas and the 3 California teams. So you have 7-8 teams at 2 games each plus a future 2 games against Buffalo and Detroit. That could have meant an extra 10-20 points by season's end and so ~ 5-10 points at the half way mark.

Every team in the North division was 500 or better at the shut down. I had forgotten even Montreal was at 71 points in 71 games.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Maybe that’s on the GM. I mean he certainly my believes he was acquiring better players than last year or else he would have just kept the others.

wonder what it was like behind closed doors
It definitely is imo and relates to the same pro scouting/personnel decision issues they've had since the beginning of Dorion's tenure.
The Division is tougher than last year and we got a weaker defence than last year .. lol this is bad
The division being tougher is a factor, but I'm unconvinced it's as much of one as has been portrayed at times. Our D and G is somehow worse than last year.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The million dollar question is “If Barry Trotz coached this team would they make the playoffs”

what do you think?
No, but I think you would see a moderate improvement from such an experienced coach. If he were somehow able to have a couple young guys performing at a higher level, there's potential for improvement, but I don't see room for improvement in the veteran group.

I think the issue is very clearly the ingredients in the recipe, not the chef.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No, but I think you would see a moderate improvement from such an experienced coach. If he were somehow able to have a couple young guys performing at a higher level, there's potential for improvement, but I don't see room for improvement in the veteran group.

I think the issue is very clearly the ingredients in the recipe, not the chef.

agree. I like DJ and think he’ll coach for a long time. There’s been to much blaming of the players here by many - like this summer when management said it’s on the players to improve the team and move the team ahead - but the pro trades are the guys that are performing the least. So it is the ingredients and not the chef

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad