Speculation: D.J. Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
This thread is to analyze and discuss every decisions D.J. Smith makes. To evaluate is ability as a coach. Also, to discuss everything about D.J. Smith. I see alot of peoples getting mad this season with alot of D.J. decisions so i created a thread for it.

let's discuss!

smith-wjpg_large

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I've liked him so far but his lineup and systems decisions this season have been baffling me. The mega collapse strategy when we were defending the lead against Winnipeg was brutal. I don't even want to get started on recent lineup decisions. Hopefully he learns soon because I like him and don't want to have to hate our coach once again.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He has large mitts, I wouldn't like to get punched in the face by him. Also know someone that played with him and said he was one of the scariest players he played against. That being said, seems like a humble normal guy given his situation.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Hopefully dorion has learned his lesson and gives him a shorter leash than boucher

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021
Can we start with scratching kids that needs playing time to develop and to see what we have in them, in favor of playing vets (plugs) that have no long term future with this team ... in a rebuilding year, in a short season, after over 300 days without playing hockey ?!?
I understand the need to insulate kids with quality veterans, but some of the vets on this team can't be called that, and we have too many of them blocking kids that need playing time.

Also, playing hard and physical is great, but going out of your way to hit to pleased the coach not to be scratched is dumb (looking at you Colin). Hits last game : 51/14 Ottawa. Were we in the game ? Answer : not even close.

Also, usage of kids late in the game like the previous game where we dominated until the last 5 min. Brady said himself he thinks they're ready to close games and I agree. The vets haven't done better, so let them try. What is there to lose ? You don't win or rarely win playing not to lose.
It's early in the year but some of DJ's decision so far have been headscratching to say the least.
End of rent !

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’m smarter than DJ. Everything he does is obviously stupid and I’d be a much better coach.

I benched Watson and Tierney and just ran White as a 2C and went undefeated in 3 games of EA. Wolanin had a hat trick in game 2.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I personally don't care about his dumb grit and vet fascination so long as he gets over it when he's not getting the results that he wants. He's a young coach himself, so he's got stuff to learn too. Let him have his little fun to start the season, and then if he still refuses to play the young guns when we're last in the division 20 games into the season, then I'll start losing my mind on him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He’s a good coach. In a very tough position right now.

Ottawa wants to implement a Bruins style of play - DJ said this - and when you’re losing the fans want to see goals and flash and as a coach you have to decide between a player who might not compete hard or play the style you want (Galchenyuk, White) vs someone who will - Mike Haley. So do you lose trying to build the culture you want and have faith that eventually your investment in the “system” works and you start to win? Or do you stick with flash and goals and hockey you don’t want ESPECIALLY if you’re losing, because you end up with Mike Hoffman glaring at you on the bench because he’s been allowed to be a princess all season.

lose of your shield as Don Cherry would say - no it’s not. It’s building a system and culture so when it’s there everyone knows what it is and what’s expected. When you play for Torts, Barry Trotz, Claude Julien you have to play a certain style of hockey. It’s winning hockey but not every player can do it.

Why it looks bad right now is to implement the system you’ve gotten your toughness and grit and the elements you want to add up to winning from fringe players - Cobourn, Gudbranson, Anisimov. To win with a Bruins system you need the studs like Chara/Bergeron/Marchant who play in top situations with that grit and compete because your culture has to come from your top players.

Brady Tkachuk is 1, Sanderson is 2, Stutzle is 3 - Chabot hasn’t gotten his game to a Doughty/Keith level yet. Norris and Batherson help but aren’t there yet. Connor Brown and Nick Paul helps.

but overall, we don’t have the pillars to win yet. So do you let Galchenyuk and Logan Brown skate around playing loose easy hockey and not building your culture, or do you throw Mike Hailey in there to send a message that we are going to stick with it, and we are going to break through.

Once the coach sacrifices the system he’s done. I have faith DJ will break through. Winnipeg will be shook today, we’ll win with Hogberg and hopefully it’s the start of something.

Last edited:
Reactions: DueDiligence

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He’s a good coach. In a very tough position right now.

Ottawa wants to implement a Bruins style of play - DJ said this - and when you’re losing the fans want to see goals and flash and as a coach you have to decide between a player who might not compete hard or play the style you want (Galchenyuk, White) vs someone who will - Mike Haley. So do you lose trying to build the culture you want and have faith that eventually your investment in the “system” works and you start to win? Or do you stick with flash and goals and hockey you don’t want ESPECIALLY if you’re losing, because you end up with Mike Hoffman glaring at you on the bench because he’s been allowed to be a princess all season.

lose of your shield as Don Cherry would say - no it’s not. It’s building a system and culture so when it’s there everyone knows what it is and what’s expected. When you play for Torts, Barry Trotz, Claude Julien you have to play a certain style of hockey. It’s winning hockey but not every player can do it.

Why it looks bad right now is to implement the system you’ve gotten your toughness and grit and the elements you want to add up to winning from fringe players - Cobourn, Gudbranson, Anisimov. To win with a Bruins system you need the studs like Chara/Bergeron/Marchant who play in top situations with that grit and compete because your culture has to come from your top players.

Brady Tkachuk is 1, Sanderson is 2, Stutzle is 3 - Chabot hasn’t gotten his game to a Doughty/Keith level yet. Norris and Batherson help but aren’t there yet. Connor Brown and Nick Paul helps.

but overall, we don’t have the pillars to win yet. So do you let Galchenyuk and Logan Brown skate around playing loose easy hockey and not building your culture, or do you throw Mike Hailey in there to send a message that we are going to stick with it, and we are going to break through.

Once the coach sacrifices the system he’s done. I have faith DJ will break through. Winnipeg will be shook today, we’ll win with Hogberg and hopefully it’s the start of something.

Well said - most won’t get it around here.

Reactions: Tuna99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
You have to believe there is an overall organizational issue at this point.

We have seen this play out over and over every since Murray stopped coaching.

I get that you want to build a culture but if there was ever a year to let the young guys have trial by fire and learn the ropes it was this season.

Stepan can be a mentor for a few years, no issue there.

A few vet energy guys in Watson and CP - OK (especially getting a pick to take him).

Having a lineup of 3rd/4th liners who can't get up and down the ice is crazy when we have all these young players.

Short season and all Canadian division and we make these decisions...baffling. How, in any way, are we enhancing the teams future?

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I don’t really care about the 4th line that much, but the principle of having useless face-punchers is still annoying. We have a puck moving D on each pairing for the first time this season. Interested to see if that helps.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Ottawa wants to implement a Bruins style of play.

Boston Bruins won only one Stanley cup in the last 50 years. Why in hell would you even model your style of play to one shot Bruins? And when they won the last Stanley cup in 2011, it is not because of the grit, but because of the elite forwards they had in 2011 in David Krejčí , Patrice Bergeron and Milan Lucic in his heyday. And also absolutely insane offensive zone time those three forwards generated. That's how they scored most of their goals. Senators not even close to that style of play and how it really differs from Tampa Bay?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just wasting time till he'll have no choice and the players that will eventually come in gain no experience in the mean time.
He must really feel he has to win this year and is putting all his eggs in the experienced vet basket. A few very close to ready young players that need to be developing for the future get zilch.. while he hangs his hat on Anisimov and Haley now

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Boston Bruins won only one Stanley cup in the last 50 years. Why in hell would you even model your style of play to one shot Bruins? And when they won the last Stanley cup in 2011, it is not because of the grit, but because of the elite forwards they had in 2011 in David Krejčí , Patrice Bergeron and Milan Lucic in his heyday. And also absolutely insane offensive zone time those three forwards generated. That's how they scored most of their goals. Senators not even close to that style of play and how it really differs from Tampa Bay?

It’s so weird because your arguing against me with the exact point I’m trying to make.

who do you want to model it off of? Washington? Pittsburg Penguins who’s model is have the best C in the game and someone from Europe who’s also really good? Tampa is amazing and id love that - but 500 days ago they were swept and everyone thought it wasn’t going to happen for them, Jon Cooper was on thin ice.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Just wasting time till he'll have no choice and the players that will eventually come in gain no experience in the mean time.
He must really feel he has to win this year and is putting all his eggs in the experienced vet basket. A few very close to ready young players that need to be developing for the future get zilch.. while he hangs his hat on Anisimov and Haley now
What is his contract status? Is this his last year or does he have one more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->