Speculation: D.J. Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
DJ is a good coach. How the group of kids is playing, not just technically but with the freedom to be creative and make mistakes, it’s perfect.

I know the Gidbranson giveaway has everyone thinking they know better then DJ - but if he benches a vet there for a giveaway how do you think Brannstrom and Norris and all the kids will react.

if we want to hire Claude Julien who hates rookies he’s out there. But everyone will be saying “you can’t just bench people when they make a mistake or they’ll never play with confidence”

the team has confidence and that comes from the coach - DJ I think is doing an excellent job

"Geez, seems like no matter who you are, if you screw up there are consequences. It wasn't just me that the coach singled out."

That's what they would think. Now I will admit that veterans get more rope as they have established a level of play over the years, but the significance of the blunders by Gudbranson last night combined with an accumulation of some things over the course of the season make Gudbranson ripe for a message. Experience matters, but it the main deciding factor. Coburn has close to twice as many NHL games as Gudbranson and the team has no problem scratching him.

The only mitigating factor in Gudbranson's defense is that it would be a coach's decision to put him out there, though as a vet I would hope he might say, "Geez coach, I'm gassed. I need a quick rest."

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I like this coach,sometimes he does some things that make you think he has lost it ...But he does have the kids playing well and they seem to like playing for the guy...Also he does give them a chance if he believes they deserve it

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
After a night of reflection, I will say, DJ does at least have these guys playing hard, which is encouraging and very much a positive. However, DJs in game management and his player deployment is a disaster. DJ Smith lost the game last night. The whole Gudbranson sequence was inexcusable. He could have at least called a timeout to give Gud a little rest if he absolutely needed him on the ice for that PK. Lets also stop dressing a 4th line with garbage and get some speed in there, especially on the second night of a back to back where you need to roll 4 lines.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
But Brann's strong side is his right side.
No he is a left handed player...He needs to play the left side,as did Chabot...We tried moving Chabot to the right for a few games,he didnt play very well and protested to be moved back to his strong side

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
How anyone who has a cursory knowledge of hockey can’t see why Brannstrom is better on the left side is baffling to me.

Since he still has a habit of skating the puck out on the right side and sometimes has the right point on the PP we can see the issues.

When he breaks out of the zone on the right side he’s great IF he carries the puck all the way into the offensive zone BUT if he has to make a play it’s a guaranteed neutral zone turnover off a soft backhand attempted pass. In the offensive zone when he keeps the puck in and gets pressured he sends a weak backhand down the boards and boom turnover. I actually think he defends equally well on both sides so to me he will become a better NHL player on the left side. On bigger ice or in a slower league I could see how he’d be good on the right side.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
How anyone who has a cursory knowledge of hockey can’t see why Brannstrom is better on the left side is baffling to me.

Since he still has a habit of skating the puck out on the right side and sometimes has the right point on the PP we can see the issues.

When he breaks out of the zone on the right side he’s great IF he carries the puck all the way into the offensive zone BUT if he has to make a play it’s a guaranteed neutral zone turnover off a soft backhand attempted pass. In the offensive zone when he keeps the puck in and gets pressured he sends a weak backhand down the boards and boom turnover. I actually think he defends equally well on both sides so to me he will become a better NHL player on the left side. On bigger ice or in a slower league I could see how he’d be good on the right side.
Yep,making plays on your forehand in the defensive zone is very important to a defender...Brannstrom while skilled is very small him having to try and pick up pucks on his backhand would hurt him on a heavy forecheck...Literally...

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

The soft backhand play he attempts about 5 times a game in the D zone is becoming very tiresome.

Great post as well to explain to those that don't understand.

Reactions: topshelf15 and GCK

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The soft backhand play he attempts about 5 times a game in the D zone is becoming very tiresome.

Great post as well to explain to those that don't understand.
Add in the huge hits he would be taking fumbling around with the puck on his backhand on the boards...Not that Brannstrom doesnt take one or two every game

Reactions: DJB

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Keeping a tired Gudbranson out for the PK was a mistake.
Adding sparingly used Haley to a tired lineup was a mistake

Reactions: GCK

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yep,making plays on your forehand in the defensive zone is very important to a defender...Brannstrom while skilled is very small him having to try and pick up pucks on his backhand would hurt him on a heavy forecheck...Literally...

Zub takes a few shifts at LD so maybe break Brannstrom in slowly hat way instead of a full game

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
No he is a left handed player...He needs to play the left side,as did Chabot...We tried moving Chabot to the right for a few games,he didnt play very well and protested to be moved back to his strong side

You're too hung up on handedness. I don't see the issue with his backhand clearing, but maybe I haven't noticed it enough. I'll watch next game and see.

DJ is a good coach. How the group of kids is playing, not just technically but with the freedom to be creative and make mistakes, it’s perfect.

I know the Gidbranson giveaway has everyone thinking they know better then DJ - but if he benches a vet there for a giveaway how do you think Brannstrom and Norris and all the kids will react.

if we want to hire Claude Julien who hates rookies he’s out there. But everyone will be saying “you can’t just bench people when they make a mistake or they’ll never play with confidence”

the team has confidence and that comes from the coach - DJ I think is doing an excellent job

But it's not just one single giveaway. Gud has been making mistakes and getting walked multiple times a game for the most part of the season. How do you think Brannstrom and Norris and all the kids will react if there is no accountability for the vets while the kids are under a microscope?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You're too hung up on handedness. I don't see the issue with his backhand clearing, but maybe I haven't noticed it enough. I'll watch next game and see.

But it's not just one single giveaway. Gud has been making mistakes and getting walked multiple times a game for the most part of the season. How do you Brannstrom and Norris and all the kids will react if there is no accountability for the vets while the kids are under a microscope?
Its not just me,its the majority of coaches and players....Try facing an NHL forcheck and picking up a puck off the boards on your backhand...Nevermind trying to make a pass ...Forechecking teams look for this and will exploit it

Reactions: Beech

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Its not just me,its the majority of coaches and players....Try facing an NHL forcheck and picking up a puck off the boards on your backhand...Nevermind trying to make a pass ...Forechecking teams look for this and will exploit it

Not true. The Redwings had ALL LH D for the longest time and were winning championships. It's purely a player preference and you can go through hockey history to find numerous examples of LH D playing on the right side successfully. We haven't seen enough sample size of Brannstrom to definitively say that he can't play on the right side. If you do say this, you are being disingenuous.

Reactions: Ed Wood

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

This is true in theory, yes. But theory isn't always reality.

Brannstrom, throughout his entire career, has always performed better on the right-side. His performance on his off-side is why he was drafted in the top half of the draft and why he was considered one of the top prospects in hockey.

There are exceptions to every rule.

Braydon Coburn played years at RD, despite shooting left, when he was in Philly.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is true in theory, yes. But theory isn't always reality.

Brannstrom, throughout his entire career, has always performed better on the right-side. His performance on his off-side is why he was drafted in the top half of the draft and why he was considered one of the top prospects in hockey.

There are exceptions to every rule.

Braydon Coburn played years at RD, despite shooting left, when he was in Philly.
Brann ,could do this in lessor leagues and may get there at the nhl level...But for now I can see why they want him to not have any issues in the D zone...Besides we dont want him taking anymore thundering checks than he already does...Man he gets lit up at times

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Brann ,could do this in lessor leagues and may get there at the nhl level...But for now I can see why they want him to not have any issues in the D zone...Besides we dont want him taking anymore thundering checks than he already does...Man he gets lit up at times

What's more likely to cause Brannstrom to have defensive issues:

• Playing the position he's more comfortable with, even if it means he takes more pucks on his back-hand?
• Playing the position he's less comfortable with, even if it means he takes more pucks on his fore-hand?

It's hard enough learning the NHL game as an undersized, offensive defenseman, why put him in a spot that he's not used to?

Again, the theory is fine. Theory is not reality. Put players in positions where they can succeed, even if it goes against your "philosophy". That's what good coaches do.

Reactions: Yak

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

• Playing the position he's more comfortable with, even if it means he takes more pucks on his back-hand?
• Playing the position he's less comfortable with, even if it means he takes more pucks on his fore-hand?

It's hard enough learning the NHL game as an undersized, offensive defenseman, why put him in a spot that he's not used to?

Again, the theory is fine. Theory is not reality. Put players in positions where they can succeed, even if it goes against your "philosophy". That's what good coaches do.

All of the above?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

I think the coach is doing exactly this at the nhl level for Brannstrom...However it could change,and it wouldnt surprise me....But for now we can agree to disagree ,as you are a great poster and I enjoy speaking with you on many topics

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Like most I'm not a huge fan of his roster/line decisions but I'm also an hfboards poster so of course I would be saying play the young unknown/unproven guys. He does seem to have that ability to get the team fired up which we haven't seen since MacLean era. Just the little things like hearing them banging sticks after every shot blocked is a far cry from the clinical attitude the team seemed to have under Boucher.

Overall I'm fine with him remaining head coach.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
We only have 3 wins at home. Too small a sample size to be significant? Or is DJ too easy to outcoach when he doesn't have last change?

Reactions: Yak

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Gord Wilson interviews with DJ are too much for me. He sends up lobs and and then answers the question for him.
“ dj gotta ask what did you think of the defence is it fair to say that they just weren’t good enough tonight?”
DJ “yeah”

I don’t blame gord. His job is PR whether people like it or not.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Gord Wilson interviews with DJ are too much for me. He sends up lobs and and then answers the question for him.
“ dj gotta ask what did you think of the defence is it fair to say that they just weren’t good enough tonight?”
DJ “yeah”

I don’t blame gord. His job is PR whether people like it or not.

Then we get Garrioch's questions which are often getting DJ to repeat what he's already said

Reactions: cudi and Alex1234
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad