Confirmed with Link: D Andrew Peeke for Jakub Zboril and a 2027 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Im not hating the player and ill root like hell for him but Im not liking this deadline at all. Sweeney had Forborts 3mil LTIR and eventually a 3rd pick, in his back pocket heading into this week and he couldn't come away with a more impactful move.

It does make you wonder a bit if the Forbort thing was not a thing until yesterday or today. In fact, last update this morning was that he was day-to-day. I honestly think if that was known a week ago, Sweeney would have a bigger range of options this TDL.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Big physical guy that moves Lohrei to the 3rd pair and lets McAvoy roam free on the first pair

With Lohrei on that pairing McAvoy has to play a more steady game and I think that takes away from what makes him great. Let the tiger run!

I'm not sure if you saw those quotes from Rantanen about how Lindholm/McAvoy is easily the hardest pairing to go up against. I wish they could find someone that allowed them to keep those two together. And I say this as someone who prefers spreading out talent vs loading up... but they have the cap space next year to have both... and still grab a #1C if they move Ullmark.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I'm not sure if you saw those quotes from Rantanen about how Lindholm/McAvoy is easily the hardest pairing to go up against. I wish they could find someone that allowed them to keep those two together. And I say this as someone who prefers spreading out talent vs loading up... but they have the cap space next year to have both... and still grab a #1C if they move Ullmark.
They do. Play Lohrei with Carlo.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
It does make you wonder a bit if the Forbort thing was not a thing until yesterday or today. In fact, last update this morning was that he was day-to-day. I honestly think if that was known a week ago, Sweeney would have a bigger range of options this TDL.
He hasn't played or practiced all week, I think they had a pretty good idea, but maybe not.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I mean that's obviously what they are gonna do, but I would have preferred to let Lorhei ease into the role a bit more. Let him play bottom pairing and give him PP1 time. Let him be a giant Krug. And then in a few years give him more two way responsibility.

But, what ya gonna do.
Yeah I’m higher on him than most. Veterans make mistakes too. He’s legit.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He hasn't played or practiced all week, I think they had a pretty good idea
:dunno: Hard to say not being in the room. They knew all week if we think the worst of the FO, they found out today if you look at the available public evidence. I lean to the latter- maybe he was evaluated by the team doc during practice today and they decided he needed the surgeries. But we'll likely never know the truth of it.

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What's your preferred 3rd pair?
Two guys not on the roster currently. If you need to start the year with Wotherspoon I think you’d be fine. I’m incredibly skeptical that Peeke will be able to be an everyday 3RD. But I guess they’re going to try it.

Reactions: NDiesel

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
:dunno: Hard to say not being in the room. They knew all week if we think the worst of the FO, they found out today if you look at the available public evidence. I lean to the latter- maybe he was evaluated by the team doc during practice today and they decided he needed the surgeries. But we'll likely never know the truth of it.
Yep, but even if it became known today,I would of liked to seen something that was a bit more impactful. I mean it looks like the Maroon deal slid right into this one as well, to where the bruins would have just enough cap space.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yep but, even knowing today,I would of liked to see something of a bit more impactful;. I mean it looks like the Maroon deal slid right into this one as well, to where the bruins would have just enough cap space.

Possibly when you add Peeke and Maroon together you get damn near close to Forbort's LTIR amount. They would have been what, 25k over?

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
His numbers look terrible but maybe a change of scenery will help? I'm assuming he'll help with the RD shutdown/PK role. Would have liked to have seen some salary retention with that 3rd round pick. Hopefully the pro scouts are right and they can coach him up.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
His numbers look terrible but maybe a change of scenery will help? I'm assuming he'll help with the RD shutdown/PK role. Would have liked to have seen some salary retention with that 3rd round pick. Hopefully the pro scouts are right and they can coach him up.

I remember watching him a good bit last season and the one before (I always seemed to catch the Jackets playing West Coast late games) and he was decent. Columbus is a disaster this year, and then you never know what happens between a player and a new coach. He may never be more than 6/7 spare part when all is said and done, but he's still young and has some skills that the Bruins could use on the blueline. Good coaching, good partners, he might be alright.

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Take it for what it is, but I found this post from a CBJ fan in a Peeke to OTT trade proposal thread to be helpful in understanding how fans viewed him prior to his regression...as well as a possible reason for his struggles this year and last.

Feb 23, 2023
I've thought for a long time that Peeke is going to be the perfect Methot type to put next to a Sanderson or Chabot. Big and fast, pretty much everything you want without the puck. He's unfortunately hopeless on breakout passing. I think his problem in Columbus is that they're not specializing on breakouts - all D including Peeke are tasked with starting the breakout. Imagine how Methot would look if he had to do it while Karlsson was standing aside?

I would put his value solidly below Pinto and solidly above picks like Ostapchuk or any 2nd rounder. The only assets kind of close are the 1st rounder or Greig, both maybe a bit too high in value (just in terms of 1st rounders I'd guess Peeke is worth something around the 20th pick). But if I'm Jarmo I don't see why you would accept anything less than a 1st or Greig. Maybe Peeke + a 3rd for Greig/1st.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
This season, among Blue Jackets Defensemen who have played at least 10 games -- Peeke:
  • 5vs5 Average Time-on-Ice = 8th out of 8.
  • 5vs5 On-Ice Goals Against per 60min = 8th.
  • 5vs5 Expected Goals For % = 8th.
  • 5vs5 On-Ice Save % = 8th.
  • Penalty Kill On-Ice Goals Allowed per 60 = 6th out of 6.
  • PK On-Ice Save % = 6th -- nearly 10 percentage points lower than the next worst defenseman on the team.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Little bit erratic from what I've seen, but an excellent add. Size, moves the puck well, plays physical and blocks a lot of shots. He's going to take some pressure off on the PK.

Plus he's young and signed through next season.

Down the right side of the defense:
McAvoy
Carlo
Peeke

That is locked down. I'm a BIG fan of this move.

Now what happens to fit him in?

Forbort to LTIR.

I like this move, too. I know nothing of the player other than what I've read today, but it's an intriguing, potentially very good pick up. I believe he's only 25.

Credit Sweeney, which I seldom do.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
This season, among Blue Jackets Defensemen who have played at least 10 games -- Peeke:
  • 5vs5 Average Time-on-Ice = 8th out of 8.
  • 5vs5 On-Ice Goals Against per 60min = 8th.
  • 5vs5 Expected Goals For % = 8th.
  • 5vs5 On-Ice Save % = 8th.
  • Penalty Kill On-Ice Goals Allowed per 60 = 6th out of 6.
  • PK On-Ice Save % = 6th -- nearly 10 percentage points lower than the next worst defenseman on the team.
I don’t think anybody is arguing he’s been good for CLB this year

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Take it for what it is, but I found this post from a CBJ fan in a Peeke to OTT trade proposal thread to be helpful in understanding how fans viewed him prior to his regression...as well as a possible reason for his struggles this year and last.

Feb 23, 2023
I've thought for a long time that Peeke is going to be the perfect Methot type to put next to a Sanderson or Chabot. Big and fast, pretty much everything you want without the puck. He's unfortunately hopeless on breakout passing. I think his problem in Columbus is that they're not specializing on breakouts - all D including Peeke are tasked with starting the breakout. Imagine how Methot would look if he had to do it while Karlsson was standing aside?

I would put his value solidly below Pinto and solidly above picks like Ostapchuk or any 2nd rounder. The only assets kind of close are the 1st rounder or Greig, both maybe a bit too high in value (just in terms of 1st rounders I'd guess Peeke is worth something around the 20th pick). But if I'm Jarmo I don't see why you would accept anything less than a 1st or Greig. Maybe Peeke + a 3rd for Greig/1st.
Interesting. The Bruins should be able to help here. They've had some success coaching these bigger, stronger D-first guys into being at least competent first pass guys. I mean Forbort is still pretty hopeless, but Carlo has improved in his time here. Prior to that I recall McQuaid and Miller both growing that part of their game to a decent standard. Most recently, Wotherspoon has noticeably improved with that since he's been up.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
In a lot of ways, the Bruins are doing Columbus a favor by taking on the remaining two full years with no retention. I guess that is reflective in the price they paid (basically nothing).

CBJ has a disgruntled right-handed shooting top D prospect whos vocally peeved that he's back in the AHL. This clears out the roster spot while not having to bury Peeke's cap hit in the minors.

This is a gamble by Boston. They must believe Peeke is young enough and good enough to revive his game here in their system with their coaching staff.

But if they are right (and I think they are), he's a really nice add moving forward.

If he doesn't work out (and they'll give him next year to prove that), he's an easy buy-out Summer 2025.

Low risk, potentially significant reward. Size, youth, puck eater, relatively physical. By next season I want everyone in their D corps to be comfortably over six feet.

I like it. I like the Maroon pick up, too.

I don't believe these moves require me to tuck into some crow, but credit to Sweeney. Believe it or not, I almost always like his smaller, off the board moves.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
The only memory I have of this dude is Marchand absolutely plastering him and scoring on the ensuing rush a couple of seasons ago. Also sounds like he was headed for a buyout this summer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad