WJC: Czech Republic WJC Discussion

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
And unfortunately, announcers here have no shot in hell of getting it right. :laugh:

It shall remain a mystery until I find a czech in person. There might be a few czech professors at my university.

I say it "perzhi-byl" right now which is probably a lot closer than "PREYE-BULL."

Yes, that's probably the closest I've ever seen it written and pronounced relative to the correct pronunciation, so you're doing well.:nod:

As for hunting for czechs, you might find this useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ř
Listen to the word 'řeka' being spoken to get an idea of the 'ř' sound.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I'm surprised Nosek got C. Didn't we think Holik was more likely?

I totally expected Holík, but I don't really care. The main thing is everything works on and off the ice. Last year Jeřábek was good captain, so I guess they know what they are doing.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
How come Placek didn't make the team?

He likely will next year if he attends the summer camps. I heard that both Placek and Nedomlel were cut because they didn't attend the camps this summer (although I thought I saw his name on one of the game lineups from the Czech board).

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Do we have a final roster?

Not yet. 5 players have some small injuries from the game vs the russians, so they're waiting to see which players will be ok before the first game vs Denmark before they make the last few cuts.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What can we expect of Pribyl?

I'm going to the Czech vs USA game on the 30th live, so I'll fill you in on just how good he is(or was in that game, rather).

He is getting a surprising amount of hype for a non-CHL czech who won't even be expected to get a tremendous amount of minutes(as it stands right now, anyways).

What I have seen in the videos posted in the habs sub forums is that he actually has an appreciable amount of hustle to his game. The only videos that have been posted have shown him making the "tough play" down low by the net.

Anyways, I'm stoked.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Just watched the game against Denmark. I didn't see Finns in their game, but I think we might have a chance there if everything clicks. IMO this team is clearly better than last years. The only players from 2011 team who would be real upgrade are Jeřábek and Frk. If they can keep their game like this or even get better I'm not worried they wouldn't put up good fight for the third playoff spot.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Just watched the game against Denmark. I didn't see Finns in their game, but I think we might have a chance there if everything clicks. IMO this team is clearly better than last years. The only players from 2011 team who would be real upgrade are Jeřábek and Frk. If they can keep their game like this or even get better I'm not worried they wouldn't put up good fight for the third playoff spot.

I thought we were really really slow last night (perhaps we were saving energy for Canada?) Static PP, lack of skating + forecheck. One thing I liked was that our D-men were almost constantly throwing the puck on net in the offensive zone in and our forwards looking for deflections, something I haven't seen us do before. Didn't like Straka, Faksa should get more ice time. Mrazek looked good.

If we want to stand a chance against CAN/USA/FIN we need to skate more + be more aggresive. Accurate shooting would help too. But as you say, a win against Finland wouldn't be unrealistic (although we've been saying that for a while now :laugh:) as our team is clearly better than last year's.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I was very impressed with 6'2 205 lb d-man Daniel Krejci "92 born-undrafted...yes it was only against Denmark -but the TSN commentators praised this guy for working well with his d-partner Musil --- the PMD conterpart and the steadying influence...

A good tournament from Krejci would boost his stock among NHL teams looking for later bloomers or the bypassed in the last 2 drafts but now looks like a pretty good prospect type "bargains' ...

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
After yesterday game I just remembered that before the tournament Czechexpert said somewhere on this board that Mrazek might be the best goalie of the tournament. Just wanted to point out how great call that was. Well done.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
I was very impressed with 6'2 205 lb d-man Daniel Krejci "92 born-undrafted...yes it was only against Denmark -but the TSN commentators praised this guy for working well with his d-partner Musil --- the PMD conterpart and the steadying influence...

A good tournament from Krejci would boost his stock among NHL teams looking for later bloomers or the bypassed in the last 2 drafts but now looks like a pretty good prospect type "bargains' ...

Krejci has always been top D among 92´Czechs but there were many off ice issues, bad work ethic and attitude which hurt his development in the past three years. Plus his skating was(and still is) problem, not straight skating but backwards, turning, lateral agility.
Plus

cenas*

What's the Czech perspective going into the Finland game.. which one is the underdog?

Czechs played the US very nice on even strength. Finland wasn't under siege either. Both goalies have been playing well.. or is Mrazek even playing today?

sajmae

Jun 3, 2010
Czech Republic
imo we are underdog. We played harder game, many penalty kills against USA. Finland played "easy" game against Denmark. We are good at 5 on 5, but our PP is horrible and we take so many stupid penalties. Plus Mrazek probably can't have 50 saves game every match. I'd give Finland 75% chance of winning.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
What's the Czech perspective going into the Finland game.. which one is the underdog?

Czechs played the US very nice on even strength. Finland wasn't under siege either. Both goalies have been playing well.. or is Mrazek even playing today?

This is a important game for both so i would hope Mrazek is playing the winner gets second place.

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
The game thread is locked, so I decided to come here and congratulate all the Czech fans with the huge victory. Happy New Year! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad