WJC: Czech Republic WJC Discussion

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Wonder if anyone has any info on the Czech entry in the tournament and who will likely be on the team?

Got curious of this as it has been mentioned that Martin Frk may be back from concussion issues and playing by Christmas for the Halifax Mooseheads, so does he go to the WJC?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
A true shame that Stransky won't be on it. He deserves it. Haven't seen too many players grow and evolve as much as he has in the past 15 months.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
A true shame that Stransky won't be on it. He deserves it. Haven't seen too many players grow and evolve as much as he has in the past 15 months.

Yes it is. I hope he is there in 2013. We can't afford to blank players like him.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Doesn't Mrazek have the whole CHL-issue with the Czech hockey federation and thats why he wasn't on the team last year? Is it still a problem?

I hope Nedomlel makes it, it would be great to see him play.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Doesn't Mrazek have the whole CHL-issue with the Czech hockey federation and thats why he wasn't on the team last year? Is it still a problem?

It remains a problem. They included him just for the case it somehow goes away. I don't see a big chance he could play.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

I think that's the same reason why Stransky isn't playing.

Chris Phifer

Oct 16, 2006
Is Martin Frk expected to be back in time for the Tournament or is it still a waiting game at this point?

Use the Schwartz*

Frk was told by management that if he feels up to it, he can go.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
What are the odds of culek making the team?

What are Jaskin's chances?

Both are certain to make it barring injury.

I'm thinking the following players are locks for the team:

Honzik
Mrazek (if he's allowed)
Bartosak

Musil
Jank
Nedomlel
Hrbas

Jaskin
Hertl
Pribyl
Straka
Culek
Uher
Sedlak
Holik
Hyka
Frk
Sekac

I'm not sure about Philly's pick Petr Placek; I've never seen him play. I also think Faksa and Filippi have a good shot at making the team too.

Looks like a strong team for the Czech's. They'd be better with Stransky, though.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Glad to see Pribyl make it as a lock.
And if I may ask, what happened with Mrazek, and who is this mysterious Stransky, and what happened to him too?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Here's preliminary nomination: http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=1601. 25 players will be chosen out of that soon. Final roster is going to be named after pre-tournament games vs. Latvia and Russia.

What do these guys eat between 16-20 to grow so much? When I look at this roster many of the players are over 6'0 when you look at them at the u-17 challenge 9 (I can't find 2009 roster) many of the players are much smaller. I always seem to remember Czech teams coming to the u-17 challenge with alot of players around 5'8-5'10 players who are really short and light in comparision to their u20 teams and senior which are much bigger.Not a good example since there aren't as many of the same faces but there ae a few recognizable ones here :

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php?ci_id=14990&la_id=1&season_id=248&team_id=832&ss_id=25044

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Glad to see Pribyl make it as a lock.
And if I may ask, what happened with Mrazek, and who is this mysterious Stransky, and what happened to him too?

Matej Stransky. He was drafted by Dallas this past year in the 5th or 6th round. He's really come along this year and is looking like a really good pick.

He and Mrazek both refused to sign with their Czech club and came over to the CHL and their former GM(s) weren't very happy so they don't allow them to play internationally for the Czech Republic. I believe Adam Polasek (Canucks prospect) had the same problem last year and couldn't play in the WJC.

Really they're just hurting themselves with these stupid rulings and not allowing these kids to represent their country. With the Czech's looking like they're rebounding in the development of players, you'd think they'd want as many of their top players commitment as they could get.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
What do these guys eat between 16-20 to grow so much? When I look at this roster many of the players are over 6'0 when you look at them at the u-17 challenge 9 (I can't find 2009 roster) many of the players are much smaller. I always seem to remember Czech teams coming to the u-17 challenge with alot of players around 5'8-5'10 players who are really short and light in comparision to their u20 teams and senior which are much bigger.Not a good example since there aren't as many of the same faces but there ae a few recognizable ones here :

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php?ci_id=14990&la_id=1&season_id=248&team_id=832&ss_id=25044

I think it's not that unusual that men keep growing until 20-21 of age over here. I don't know if it's different in other countries or continents.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think it's not that unusual that men keep growing until 20-21 of age over here. I don't know if it's different in other countries or continents.

It is different, for example most Canadian players will be lucky if they grow an inch after entering CHL and playing u-17's. Some do but not many, as you can with the National teams and WJC teams for Canada and USA these players are already basically men physically.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It is different, for example most Canadian players will be lucky if they grow an inch after entering CHL and playing u-17's. Some do but not many, as you can with the National teams and WJC teams for Canada and USA these players are already basically men physically.

I think there's more emphasis on off-ice conditioning and muscle building in North America......especially at the youth level.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think there's more emphasis on off-ice conditioning and muscle building in North America......especially at the youth level.

Yes that is part of it along but the things I mentioned are still true many are physically mature at a young age such as players like Cowen who where 6'5 at 14 and many already shaving that age, just look at playoff beards in playoffs and memorial cup. You would think these young kids are putting miracle grow on their faces. :laugh:
But really, even if you are working out at a young age you will not see much gains or results.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
So with Mrazek now able to play, this is my guess for the Czech team (if all healthy).

Mrazek
Honzik
Bartosak

Musil-Jank
Nedomlel-Zamorsky
Hrbas-Pavlik
Sobotka

Frk-Hertl-Jaskin
Sekac-Uher-Hyka
Culek-Holik-Straka
Sedlak-Pribyl-Placek
Faksa