Czech Republic: Czech National Team (A, U20, U18, U17, U16)

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
The difference between 0:7 and 3:5 is huge. When you loose 0:7 you can't do anything more than be ashamed, embarassed. Your team got simply ass kicked, two tiers worse.
When you loose 3:5 though, you can say they tried, you could have enjoyed the three goals at least, which gave you hope during the match. And when you loose 3:5 to team like USA it't nothing to be embarassed about. I predicted that's how the match will end, even in the worst nightmare I couldn't think we could loose 6:0, 6:1 or worse.

In the end loss is loss, but if we lost 3:5 yesterday, I wouldn't be so pissed, I wouldn't bash the team. But we lost 0:7, no team that wants to play semifinal can get ass kicked so much.

I can see it being the same next year. After all, this and last year's results were very similiar.

1st match - In 2014 we lost 4:2 to Sweden, nothing to be pissed about, Sweden is good. In 2015 we lost 2:1 SO to Russia, again Russia is pretty good, why panic?
2nd match - In 2014 we lost to Switzerland 2:5, pathetic perfomace. In 2015 we did win against the Slovakia 2:0, but the perfomace was nothing to be proud of.
3rd match - In 2014 we won against 4:3 OT against freaking Denmark, awful. In 2015 we won 5:3 against Belarus... we almost lost there, to a team that got easily relegated...
4th match - Both 2014 and 2015 matches were ''Matches of hope'' We beat Russia 4:2 in 2014, solid perfomace and even though Russia probably didn't want to win that, I just liked how our guys played. In 2015 we lost to Finland 4:5, refs were horrible there and you can argue we would have won if they were more fair. But again, very good perfomace, I thought with that kind of play we might have slight chance against US team if goalie plays good.
Quaterfinal - Disaster in both years, what else to say.

Yeah, I completely agree. 0:7 equals getting steamrolled. This is simply unacceptable for any team entering QF. Where do you see the biggest issues? It might come across as slightly arrogant, but judging from what Ive seen yesterday, it could be a mixture of poor coaching strategy & lack of defensive depth.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
So what do you think of the recent results by U16, U17, U18 and U19?

That U18 tourney got me worried about the upcoming WJC18, they couldn't score goals and were giving up too much. Needless to say I expected more from the group. Does anyone know when will Brizgala return? We will need him badly to be somewhat competetive. Korenar or Groh simply aren't good enough.

At least the U16, U17 played even matches and snagged some wins.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Really curious about the next year's U16. It will be the age group with guys like Peterek and Toman, won't it? They won that World Selects 01 tournament last year(?), so hopefully it wasn't just one hit wonder.

Also, U18 will have a pretty tough group at the WJC18 with Sweden, USA, Russia and Belarus. But hey, at least they won't meet USA in the quaters for the third time in row!

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Really curious about the next year's U16. It will be the age group with guys like Peterek and Toman, won't it? They won that World Selects 01 tournament last year(?), so hopefully it wasn't just one hit wonder.

Also, U18 will have a pretty tough group at the WJC18 with Sweden, USA, Russia and Belarus. But hey, at least they won't meet USA in the quaters for the third time in row!

Im glad you mentioned and have been keeping track of that upcoming u-16 group.
I have been following them statistically for a bit and it seems they are doing very well. Peterek is the most intriguing of the group. His numbers are comparable to Jakub Vranas at the same age. Cant wait fr next season!!!

And who do we think will go to North America for their draft year? Zadina?

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Having seen all Czech games throughout the World Cup 2016 in Russia, I really have mixed feelings. On one hand there is some progress what concerns selecting the most suitable players from Extraliga & co. for the World Cups (thanks to Vujtek & co.). Throughout the majority of the tournament we saw a great team effort and chemistry, unfortunately this didn't apply for our last two games (quite frankly the most important ones). On the other hand, apart from rarities like Pastrnak, I have trouble believing that we can maintain our position as "one of the big" hockey nations in the long run due to our massive lack of young skilful,smart, explosive and elusive talent.

I would like to address the following questions to the more experiences lads out there:

1. Why is Finland able to produce a great number of skilful, explosive and elusive young talent (Barkov, Aho, Laine etc.) at this pace whilst we only manage to come up with young talented players every +/- 5 years? Finland and CZ are more or less comparable what concerns draft numbers and players within the NHL. Is our broke youth program the reason our reputation as one of the big hockey countries has suffered and our productivity of prospects has come to a standstill?

2. Is there any glimmer of hope what concerns hot prospects throughout all age groups? Do we have any chance to keep the pace with Finland and Sweden? Are there any notable Czech prospects that could become NHL regulars?

Last edited:

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Im glad you mentioned and have been keeping track of that upcoming u-16 group.
I have been following them statistically for a bit and it seems they are doing very well. Peterek is the most intriguing of the group. His numbers are comparable to Jakub Vranas at the same age.
Yes, Peterek looks good. Toman and Skorpik as well. Excited for their U16 showing next year.

Cant wait fr next season!!!
Me too. I am especially excited about Libor Zabransky and Filip Kral. They have crazy good numbers as defensemen.

And who do we think will go to North America for their draft year? Zadina?
I have no idea who will go and who will stay, but regarding Zadina, I think he could easily go to CHL and impress. He would build up some hype. If he was given the chance to play the whole season in Extraliga though... He would be playing against men. I am a little bit hoping he goes to CHL because I am curious what numbers could he put there.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Having seen all Czech games throughout the World Cup 2016 in Russia, I really have mixed feelings. On one hand there is some progress what concerns selecting the most suitable players from Extraliga & co. for the World Cups (thanks to Vujtek & co.). Throughout the majority of the tournament we saw a great team effort and chemistry, unfortunately this didn't apply for our last two games (quite frankly the most important ones). On the other hand, apart from rarities like Pastrnak, I have trouble believing that we can maintain our position as "one of the big" hockey nations in the long run due to our massive lack of young skilful,smart, explosive and elusive talent.

I would like to address the following questions to the more experiences lads out there:

1. Why is Finland able to produce a great number of skilful, explosive and elusive young talent (Barkov, Aho, Laine etc.) at this pace whilst we only manage to come up with young talented players every +/- 5 years? Finland and CZ are more or less comparable what concerns draft numbers and players within the NHL. Is our broke youth program the reason our reputation as one of the big hockey countries has suffered and our productivity of prospects has come to a standstill?

2. Is there any glimmer of hope what concerns hot prospects throughout all age groups? Do we have any chance to keep the pace with Finland and Sweden? Are there any notable Czech prospects that could become NHL regulars?

If it is tied to Slovakia decline I believe what has been discussed is a lack of interest among youth for the sport, youth being more lazy these days. Hockey being a secondary sport to football may have something to do with it ( though this is the same in Sweden ). Not sure about the number of rinks situation but icetime may be harder to come by. Also very likely is problems with the youth program, such as uneducated coaches, politics and youth not getting great opportunities in the mens league are things I've heard discussed. Czech posters will know better than me I have just said what I have heard. Tbh though forward wise it doesn't look bad Palat, Jaskin, Pastrnak, Vrana, Hertl, Zacha seems like a solid set of foundation for future Olympic teams.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Any Thoughts on Ondrej Machala? He is on the Cedar Rapids (USHL) camp roster as a Free Agent for the upcoming weekend.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is Onrej Najman a player with potential? Looks to have pretty good stats.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Is Onrej Najman a player with potential? Looks to have pretty good stats.

I am hoping he gets picked in 4th/5th round, though it is more likely he will go in 6th/7th. But to answer the question, yes, I do think he has potential. He is my favorite 98' Czech forward.
I am a little bit sad he will stay in Czech Republic and won't try CHL.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
"Kinda" OT but didint want to start new topic here (why the hell hasn't Czech their own section?), I wish some of locals have tips:

I'm going to Praque with my friend in next month (13th of july). Staying for a week (might travel to austria or/and slovakia, also, though).

Any local tips to enjoy praque? I was looking for black theater shows, but Laterna magica has no shows that week. Is there any other good options?

Last edited:

joey16

Dec 27, 2010

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I honestly dont think we need him. He's pretty good but not good enough. I dont see a spot for him anywhere in the team unless we have some injuries.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I don't know whether he would make the team or not. He would make a solid option though.

That 2001 age group certainly looks intriguing. They are just having a 3-game long friendly tourney against Switzerland and man are they dominating. 7:1 win yesterday, 9:3 win today. Outshot them like 60:20 in the 2nd one. 3rd game will be played tomorrow.
I know it's ''just'' Switzerland, and I don't know how strong the Swiss 01 is, but still, I don't recall any such lopsided blowouts in the last few years. 00, 99 or 98 to be more accurate. I really can't wait to see how will they do when they meet Swedes or Finns.

On the other hand the U17 tournament was kinda dissapointing. Not only I could watch the group games only (preliminary, quaterfinals and 7th-8th place games had awful streams that really were, unfortunately, unwatchable), but also, we finished 8th, the last place. People who saw the games will agree all of them were close (and judging from the stats, the 3 games i didn't see were close too) and the Czech team played well, but last place, that really is a disappointment. On the other hand, their run really reminded me of last year's 1999 who won the Hlinka this year, not sure if that's good or bad though :).

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I don't know whether he would make the team or not. He would make a solid option though.

That 2001 age group certainly looks intriguing. They are just having a 3-game long friendly tourney against Switzerland and man are they dominating. 7:1 win yesterday, 9:3 win today. Outshot them like 60:20 in the 2nd one. 3rd game will be played tomorrow.
I know it's ''just'' Switzerland, and I don't know how strong the Swiss 01 is, but still, I don't recall any such lopsided blowouts in the last few years. 00, 99 or 98 to be more accurate. I really can't wait to see how will they do when they meet Swedes or Finns.

On the other hand the U17 tournament was kinda dissapointing. Not only I could watch the group games only (preliminary, quaterfinals and 7th-8th place games had awful streams that really were, unfortunately, unwatchable), but also, we finished 8th, the last place. People who saw the games will agree all of them were close (and judging from the stats, the 3 games i didn't see were close too) and the Czech team played well, but last place, that really is a disappointment. On the other hand, their run really reminded me of last year's 1999 who won the Hlinka this year, not sure if that's good or bad though :).
99 seemed to me at that tournament a lot better. Some of the results were not good, but we managed to create a lot of chances. This year, the team was solid, but I do not see anyone there, when the level was Zadina Necas, Safin and probably more. Forward was the team definitely better.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
99 seemed to me at that tournament a lot better. Some of the results were not good, but we managed to create a lot of chances. This year, the team was solid, but I do not see anyone there, when the level was Zadina Necas, Safin and probably more. Forward was the team definitely better.

I assume you are talking about the U17 tournament? If so, I agree, this year they played well and as a team, they could play against anyone and be competetive. But as player v player, individual skills, there wasn't any Necas. I don't have the same hopes for them as I have for 99. I just hope they will turn out better than 98.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I assume you are talking about the U17 tournament? If so, I agree, this year they played well and as a team, they could play against anyone and be competetive. But as player v player, individual skills, there wasn't any Necas. I don't have the same hopes for them as I have for 99. I just hope they will turn out better than 98.

Of course. 98 was very bad, of course, especially in attack, the defense is fine. 00 really playing as a team, as a team can play it a solid result, according to me will certainly be better than 98, but individually it is weaker than 99. 01 is according to me a very promising year.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

Seriously? Wow... where did you find those results?

The Swiss are generally pretty decent though. So to be able to destroy them like that, is pretty impressive if you ask me. They also beat Slovakia easily earlier this year if I recall correctly. 5-1 or 6-1. Can't help but be very excited about this group..

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia

The Swiss are generally pretty decent though. So to be able to destroy them like that, is pretty impressive if you ask me. They also beat Slovakia easily earlier this year if I recall correctly. 5-1 or 6-1. Can't help but be very excited about this group..

The slovakian team was missing their 8 best players there, nothing to be proud of but yeah czech 01 look very promising

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague

http://www.hokej.cz/mladez/zapasy/34

Here you can find all the U16 games.
Really hope it's a strong year for us, we need it to be because of the home WJC in 2020.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad