OT: Cutting the Cable Cord - Streaming the Bruins Legally

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
That's not too bad.

Its different for each channel though i think.
Nesn is pretty good usually. Like 15-20 seconds.

My directTV delay was probably 5-10 seconds.

Back when I switched to Vue from DirectV I said I was gonna go back to cable when I got a provider in my town.

The more I think about now, Ill probably just get the internet when the provider comes in here. I think one of the best things about Vue and these streaming services is the ability not to hook up a friggin cable box. No wires at all. All you need is the stick that goes into the HDMI in the back of your TV and you power the stick with the usb port.

Bearclaw

Jul 25, 2013
California
I'm toying with doing Vue as well. I live in Maryland so I wouldn't get NESN, unfortunately. I'd probably have to stream games from NHL.tv or whatever the service is. Did I read earlier (too lazy to go back and look it up) that you can get a Bruins-only package?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm toying with doing Vue as well. I live in Maryland so I wouldn't get NESN, unfortunately. I'd probably have to stream games from NHL.tv or whatever the service is. Did I read earlier (too lazy to go back and look it up) that you can get a Bruins-only package?

I think I remember reading that, as part of some kind of settlement, the NHL has to offer away-team-specific packages, so...yes, I think you can get that for next year. I don't know when exactly that deal expires, and I doubt they've figured out terms for 2017-8 when it won't start up for another 6 months. (Eep!)

In theory, it should cover all non-NBC, non-NBCSN, non-playoff, non-Capitals games that the Bruins play. (I'm assuming tha Maryland is Capitals country, but I don't know that for sure.). For those games, you'd have to go to NBC, NBCSN, whatever network is covering the playoff game, and the Capitals RSN. And probably no presesason stuff.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
:laugh:

My taxes are more than some people are talking here. But in all honesty, it's a lot cheaper than if I changed to Bell.

When you consider all the NHL, AHL, OHL, WHL, QMJHL and even a lot of NCAA games I get, it's well worth it. I could watch hockey 24/7 either live or on DVR.

I am literally watching one OHL game live right now (student day) while recording three others to watch immediately after.

I haven't bought NHL Center Ice for the past 2 years as Rogers NHL Gamecentre Live has been included in my Rogers Ignite 100 internet package.

I will say that the picture quality is still much better on Cable through NHL Centre Ice than it is through the internet on Gamecentre Live. Cable is crystal clear HD with no lag. Gamecentre Live is choppy and the resolution is up and down during the game.

Ron Quixote

Bring all the lovers to the fold...
Feb 15, 2007
The 'Ville - Bullitt County
Thread necro alert...

Can someone verify what I've found out for watching Bruins broadcasts from my location in KY:

-Roku for regular season via NHL.TV
-OTA Antenna for NBC broadcasts
-Roku for playoffs via USA, CNBC, NBCSN, MSNBC.

Thanks!

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Thread necro alert...

Can someone verify what I've found out for watching Bruins broadcasts from my location in KY:

-Roku for regular season via NHL.TV
-OTA Antenna for NBC broadcasts
-Roku for playoffs via USA, CNBC, NBCSN, MSNBC.

Thanks!

Not sure your question but I'll take a stab

-You'll be able to watch 90% of all games using NHLTV if you are in Kentucky. Only ones you will not be able to watch are on NBCSN, NHL Network, or if they are playing a local game (Nashville maybe? I am about 40 minutes or so from Quebec and MTL games are never blacked out for me so maybe you'll be in luck)

-OTA Antenna will work for NBC yes, so long as you get reception. Plenty of sites to check, like this one (I searched Kentucky and it said NBC would work, you can narrow it down to a more specific location though)

-Usually services like USA, NBCSN, etc all require you to have a TV (cable) subscription. You put your username/info into the app which allows you to watch. So it would work but you would have to have access to a cable login. Easy ways around this though. Friends, relatives, etc.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Switched from Vue to FuboTV; Vue upcharged us 10 a month and then considered us part of Burlington VT as part of our IP; FuboTV goes by billing zip code so we can still get NESN- no kids programming here which sucks (2 kids under five) so have to run something else for them.

Similar broadcast delays, about 90seconds , but it does come w nbcsn.

Haven’t used nesngo

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
The nesn go app is pretty great. When the power was out I watched a couple of games just from there. I’m worried about the playoffs as I will be traveling a little in May and don’t know what app will let me stream NBCsports for a reasonable price.

Ron Quixote

Bring all the lovers to the fold...
Feb 15, 2007
The 'Ville - Bullitt County

-You'll be able to watch 90% of all games using NHLTV if you are in Kentucky. Only ones you will not be able to watch are on NBCSN, NHL Network, or if they are playing a local game (Nashville maybe? I am about 40 minutes or so from Quebec and MTL games are never blacked out for me so maybe you'll be in luck)

-OTA Antenna will work for NBC yes, so long as you get reception. Plenty of sites to check, like this one (I searched Kentucky and it said NBC would work, you can narrow it down to a more specific location though)

-Usually services like USA, NBCSN, etc all require you to have a TV (cable) subscription. You put your username/info into the app which allows you to watch. So it would work but you would have to have access to a cable login. Easy ways around this though. Friends, relatives, etc.
Yeah, that was a janky question.

Thanks for the reply.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Im still a ps Vue guy.
Fiber and TV will be in my town by August tho. So Ill finally have internet speeds above 10mbps.

Vue is def worth it and saved me alot of money instead of using direct Tv.
Only thing Vue doesnt have yet is NHL Network. Im hoping they get it for the playoffs.

Reactions: Fenian24

zenfin

Jul 31, 2005
New Boston, NH
www.myspace.com
We have had YoutubeTV since the beginning of the season and love it. It’s $34.99 per month and after the first month they send you Chromecast free too hook into you TV. NESN, NBCSports etc... All local channels are included as well. The stream quality is just as good as what we had for cable. Figured I’d throw this out there if it hasn’t been mentioned yet.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
We have had YoutubeTV since the beginning of the season and love it. It’s $34.99 per month and after the first month they send you Chromecast free too hook into you TV. NESN, NBCSports etc... All local channels are included as well. The stream quality is just as good as what we had for cable. Figured I’d throw this out there if it hasn’t been mentioned yet.

Haven’t looked into it in a few months, but last time I did that was only available in select markets which kind of sucks for an area with so many small states

Hopefully that has changed/ or will change soon

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

I live in Indiana, and am able to watch all B's games *except* the ones on NHL Network with a combo of NHL.tv & PS Vue. If you live close enough to a town with an NBC affiliate, an OTA antenna will work fine.

I switched from Sling to PS Vue. Both have NBCSN, as well as CNBC and USA Network (for the playoffs). I'm able to watch every Bruins game *except* the ones on NHL Network, which PS Vue doesn't have (and Sling didn't have when I switched).

I'm able to watch all NESN Bruins broadcasts on NHL.tv (all national broadcasts + games against "local" teams - for us, Chicago & St. Louis; for you, Columbus & Nashville - are blacked out).

Both Sling and PS Vue have agreements with the Fox Sports regional networks. Looks like all of Kentucky is in the Nashville/Columbus blackout zones, so any Bruins games on NESN against those teams will be blacked out on NHL.tv, but you should be able watch the visiting broadcast on Sling/PSVue on the Fox Sports regional affiliate.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have NHL.tv and since last season it has been fantastic through my Roku's. No issues, highest resolution possible, 60p. I also have dish Network so I can cover NBC and NBCSN and the playoffs. I get why NBC games are blacked out on NHL.tv. I don't like it, but I get it (really, can't I just pay NHL for the games I want to watch? You can give me NBC or local feeds).

But, for the life of me, I can figure out how/why NHL Network games are blacked out. It's your own damn network! It's not like they have their own production expenses, they simply grab a local feed. I am paying NHL to watch their games, and they black me out for their cable network? I pay for that too! An it's not like NBC where I can watch it on the app with my subscriber login. That would be NHL.tv, and nope, can't add additional credentials in there.

Seriously, this should be another class action against them. MLB.tv doesn't do this when they show games on MLB Network. And it's the same company that runs NHL.tv.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Tips for streaming,
Turn off your NHL notifications and don't look at your text messages till commercial breaks, the Pasta goal was spoiled for me last night cuz my cousin texted me & I was delayed haha

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I'm not sure if these channels are available outside the Boston market, but within the Boston market you can get Youtube TV. $40 a month and you get NESN, NESN+, NBCSN, and 60 other channels. The price was $35 a month but it looks like they now added CNN and other Turner networks which must have added $5 to the cost.

I tried it last year on the PC with the free trial and it was pretty good. At the time, you had to chromecast to the TV which was painful. They now have an Android TV app but they won't let you 'double dip' trials so I don't know how usable that is.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Would west Springfield be in the Boston market for YouTube tv? I'm hearing conflicting information about the availability of NESN plus on PS Vue and I should get a subscription to YouTube tv and cancel my vue subscription if it indeed does not carry NESN plus but YouTube tv does

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts

Same here. I've had YouTube TV for about 6 months and absolutely love it. I swear the quality is actually better than fios had cable was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad