OT: Cutting the Cable Cord - Streaming the Bruins Legally

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Does it carry NESN plus though?
Yes, NESN, NESN+, NBCSN (for the Bruins games they take), and the local NBC for the Bruins games on there. The do NOT have NHL Network but that's only useful for WJC or other team's games.

Unless you've tried it before, they do have a free 30 day trial so you don't need to cancel what you have. Just sign up for the trial and check it out.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Yes, NESN, NESN+, NBCSN (for the Bruins games they take), and the local NBC for the Bruins games on there. The do NOT have NHL Network but that's only useful for WJC or other team's games.

Unless you've tried it before, they do have a free 30 day trial so you don't need to cancel what you have. Just sign up for the trial and check it out.

when do they plan on running youtube TV from the TV apps instead of chromecast? I just cant get over the chromecast thing.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
But, for the life of me, I can figure out how/why NHL Network games are blacked out. It's your own damn network! It's not like they have their own production expenses, they simply grab a local feed. I am paying NHL to watch their games, and they black me out for their cable network? I pay for that too! An it's not like NBC where I can watch it on the app with my subscriber login. That would be NHL.tv, and nope, can't add additional credentials in there.

NHL Network games are blacked out because they want you to have a cable/streaming provider that has NHL Network, which guarantees the NHL a monthly subscriber fee. That's the cable TV business model these days.

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
when do they plan on running youtube TV from the TV apps instead of chromecast? I just cant get over the chromecast thing.

It is available through newer tv apps now. I actually prefer it through chromecast though. So easy to do through chromecast once I got used to it. Bought chromecasts for all of my tv

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
NHL Network games are blacked out because they want you to have a cable/streaming provider that has NHL Network, which guarantees the NHL a monthly subscriber fee. That's the cable TV business model these days.
Right, but I do have it. I should be able to watch on the app or cable. I pay for both.

I can do that with NBCSN and plenty of other channels, and none of them have have me also paying a premium for their content on top of the subscription.

I think it's even more frustrating because it's not a set schedule like NBC games are. The NHL Network grabs games from local feeds as they go, blacking out already paying customers from their premium service.

I think it would be a very easy legal case.

Bruin1970

Feb 23, 2018
Does YouTube TV carry LIVE Bruins games, or just the replays? It is so frustrating being in the Midwest, and PURCHASING the NHL's own product, yet having games blacked out.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
This is mostly for Canadian viewers, I suppose. I'm considering plunking down the $75 for the Rogers NHL Live Stanley Cup Playoffs Pass. Has anyone had this before?

I cut the cable several years ago. Bought NHL Centre Ice during the lockout year, when it was half price after the league started up again. Streamed it through my AppleTV, sometimes my iPhone. It was fine. But the full-season price was too rich for my blood.

I'd be willing to pay $75 for the playoffs, especially this season, to get a good, reliable HD stream. Anyone gone this route?

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Before getting into this, I want to make absolutely clear: This thread is about LEGAL streams, not pirated or otherwise illegal streams. The mods will show no mercy if posts take a turn towards illegal streaming. Having said that...

I am looking into cutting the cable TV cord. I currently have a Triple-Play subscription and want to reduce it to only High-Speed Internet. I want to watch TV via an over-the-air HD/Digital antenna and via cable channel streaming, i.e. subscription over Roku, AppleTV, or something else (Netflix if I have to). One big obstacle to overcome among many is watching the Bruins.

Here is what I think I know:
1) NESN streams in-market games;
2) NHL.TV streams out-of-market games.

I think this translates to NHL.TV for away games and NESN for home games.

Does anyone in this forum have any experience in cutting the cord while maintaining LEGAL access to HD streams of Bruins games? Am I on the right track with my understanding of how this is going to work, or is it all theoretical as in it doesn't actually work well or in the manner as I have described it?

Any assistance here will be greatly appreciated.
This is an interesting post. I am also thinking about this. Cable actually cost an arm and leg and comes down in Quebec with some kind of packages including channel you don't want. For me to see Bruins games i need at least :TVA, sportsnet and NHL centerice!

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
This is mostly for Canadian viewers, I suppose. I'm considering plunking down the $75 for the Rogers NHL Live Stanley Cup Playoffs Pass. Has anyone had this before?

I cut the cable several years ago. Bought NHL Centre Ice during the lockout year, when it was half price after the league started up again. Streamed it through my AppleTV, sometimes my iPhone. It was fine. But the full-season price was too rich for my blood.

I'd be willing to pay $75 for the playoffs, especially this season, to get a good, reliable HD stream. Anyone gone this route?

I have the Rogers NHL tv and I love it . I watch it at home on Apple TV and when I am at work I watch it on my Apple mini . The picture quality is perfect and the price is reasonable. No regrets.

Reactions: HumBucker

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

So was the local NBC the channel the Bruins flyers game was on today? Would that be available for me in west Springfield? It apparently wasn't available for me on vue today, which I wasn't expecting at all

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
So was the local NBC the channel the Bruins flyers game was on today? Would that be available for me in west Springfield? It apparently wasn't available for me on vue today, which I wasn't expecting at all
Im in central mass. It was on nbc boston for my ps vue.
Its the channwl after fox25 on the vue guide

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

I said this when you asked in the GDT, but it should be whatever channel you would watch the Today Show or Law & Order on.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
Cool, thanks. I just signed up. Watching the Nashville-TB game now through my AppleTV. Hopefully the Bruins get me the most for my money! :naughty:

I get it free because I have Rogers internet too. Works great with Apple TV and on iPad.

Reactions: HumBucker

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I think it just doesn't show up for me, do you know if I can add the channel to what I already have?
Goes by zip code. Whats local channels do you have?
I have cbs4 wcvb5 nbc 10 and fox25.
Nbc carries the hockey.
Even if you dont have it in your area you can stream it on the nbcsports app using the psvue credentials

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I think it just doesn't show up for me, do you know if I can add the channel to what I already have?

Just looked and I'm not seeing fox 25 either, the closest thing I have is "NBC sports Boston" but the game went on that today
Nbc sports boston isnt nbc.
Sports boston carries the celtics

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I mentioned this in the GDT, but there are 3 channels in Boston with similar-sounding names:

NBC Boston 10: Our local NBC station. Formerly channel 7. Shows The Voice, L&O SUV, Will & Grace, Chicago Fire/PD/Med, etc. If you're not in Boston, substitute your local NBC affiliate. If your cable provider is sane, it should be grouped with your local networks - ie FOX, ABC, CBS, and any independents (WSBK, WLVI in Boston), etc. This station typically shows nationally broadcast NHL games only after the Super Bowl, with the exception of Black Friday and the Winter Classic, or other outdoor games. If it's an 8 PM Saturday game and Saturday Night Live that week is new, BEWARE - at 11 PM, they'll move the game to NBCSN because of Lorne Michaels and past problems with the XFL. Usually games on this network show at either 12, 1, or 3 PM on Saturday or Sunday. They also show some Stanley Cup Finals, in the 8 PM prime time slot or weekend afternoon slots.

NBCSN (NBC Sports Network): A nationwide sports network, like FS1 or ESPN. Shows all other nationally broadcast NHL games, like Wednesday Night Rivalry and Sunday evening games.

NBCSB (NBC Sports Boston): A regional sports network, like NESN or Fox Sports Florida. No Bruins games at all - just Celtics games that aren't covered nationally.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The NBC 10 Boston is a little complicated. It is called Channel 10 because Comast has it on 10 and 810 but if using rabbit ears it can be found on either 8.1, 15.1 or 60.2 :help:
29683410_616332752053396_6320460138367343922_n.jpg

This is not to be confused with Channel 10 in Providence which is also a NBC station and in Bristol County MA is the only option with cable and DirecTV/Dish.

If you live here you get WBTS which is the callsign of NBC 10 Boston

BOSTON, MA (MANCHESTER, NH) -- Barnstable, Dukes, Essex, Middlesex, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth, Suffolk, Worcester Counties, MA; Belknap, Cheshire, Hillsborough, Merrimack, Rockingham, Strafford Counties, NH; Windham County, VT

If you live here you get WJAR Channel 10 in Providence

PROVIDENCE, RI-NEW BEDFORD, MA -- Bristol County, MA; Bristol, Kent, Newport, Providence, Washington Counties, RI.

If you live here you get NBC on WWLP Channel 22 in Springfield

SPRINGFIELD-HOLYOKE, MA -- Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire Counties, MA.

Connecticut is complicated - as NBC could be either WVIT Channel 30 in Hartford, WJAR 10 Providence or WNBC 4 New York City

HARTFORD & NEW HAVEN, CT -- Hartford, Litchfield, Middlesex, New Haven, New London, Tolland, Windham Counties, CT.

Vermont is either WPTZ Channel 5 in Plattsburgh, NY or WNNE White River Junction, VT

BURLINGTON, VT-PLATTSBURGH, NY- MONTREAL-- Grafton and Sullivan Counties, NH; Clinton, Essex, Franklin Counties, NY; Addison, Caledonia, Chittenden, Essex, Franklin, Grand Isle, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, Rutland, Washington, Windsor Counties, VT

Maine is served by either WCSH Channel 6 in Portland or WLBZ Channel 2 in Bangor

PORTLAND-AUBURN, ME --Androscoggin, Cumberland, Franklin, Kennebec, Knox, Lincoln, Oxford, Sagadahoc, York Counties, ME; Carroll and Coos Counties, NH.

BANGOR, ME -- Hancock,, Penobscot, Piscataquis, Somerset, Waldo, Washington Counties, ME

Berkshire County , MA gets NBC from Channel 13 out of Albany, NY

NESN is available on basic everywhere except Fairfield County, CT as is NBC Sports Boston ( which does NOT carry the NHL )

NBCSN should be available everywhere.

In Atlantic Canada most cable and satellite offers NBC out of Boston

Hope this helps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad