GDT: Cute Emergency! Lil' Avs vs. Baby Sharks

Do you know the way to San Jose? DO YOU!?!?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I ATE DIONNE WARWICK!!!!

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just saw the OT replay. F***ing Karlsson just hung out at the offensive blue line, leaving two forwards back to play defense when the puck was very much in contention. Then he assists on the game winning goal with a brain dead giveaway. This is your Norris favourite. I don't care about Makar not being in the conversation, but how the hell is this guy going to win while being a total disaster defensively?

I can’t be sure but did Karlsson even leave the ice in OT last night?

That last sequence before the MacKinnon goal was about the sloppiest hockey I’ve ever seen. Turnovers all over the damn place.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The bigger concern for me right now is Compher. Dude has fallen off a cliff since the trade deadline. Tonight, Nuke and Malgin were carrying that 2nd line. Wondering if it could be worth trying ERod at 2C
I would expect things to ease up for him when we get our top-6 forwards back (fingers crossed)

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah he's very clearly cherry picking for points trying to hit 100 at this point.

There were multiple horrific defensive plays by him tonight where he was cheating for offense.
It was pretty bad, we need to make sure to use it to our advantage more next game.

I would expect things to ease up for him when we get our top-6 forwards back (fingers crossed)
Getting Lehk back will help, but I'm still not expecting Landy this year.

Even if we do get Landy back JTC is still going to need to be much better than what he's shown the last month and a half.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

:laugh:

If there ever is a country that fits the what people think it is like, what it is really like meme... it is the Bahamas. Love the country and people, but it is the furthest thing from Atlantis when you escape the resorts. Also, to bring this on booze topics... Sands > Kalik

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I thought JTC was fine last night, won the draw that led to the MacKinnon goal and overall played a good defensive game. So glad Bednar FINALLY put Nichushkin on his wing and quit trying to make fetch happen with E-Rod and Malgin/Newhook on JTC's wings. That was pretty much putting the onus on the ginger to drive that line and that's a ridiculous ask.

The 4th line had an okay start but even in limited minutes got absolutely gobsmacked. Meyers was caved in and posted by far the worst underlying numbers, and played by far the fewest minutes in that time. Games like this make me wonder if he even has a future as an NHLer. He lost a puck battle you simply cannot lose--the Sharks player was way outstretched and still managed to keep the puck, Meyers was simply too weak there. That wasn't a 50/50 battle, it was more like 70/30, and I don't care if it was Lorentz who was the other guy, he HAS to be better.

He has NHL speed for sure, but his decision-making still feels a half-step too slow. That and his inability to stay strong on pucks make me think he's a tweener or AAAA guy. He won't stick in the NHL as a defensive guy, he has to be able to put the puck in the net, so far that just isn't happening and I really wonder if it ever will at this point. Yet another frustrating player who seems to have the right mindset and works hard, but just has enough weaknesses in his game to prevent him from being impactful at the NHL level.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You gotta think Mikko goes back
to JT’s wing in the playoffs. He just can’t drive offense as a 2C. Gotta rock this game 1:

Landy*-Mack-Lehk
NIke-JTC-Mikko

*assuming Landy is back. If not put Erod up there I guess.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Mikko was horrendous last night. Selfish selfish plays all over the ice. I get it your looking for that 50th, but we need wins right now for the top spot in the central

Reactions: thedoctor

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I thought JTC was fine last night, won the draw that led to the MacKinnon goal and overall played a good defensive game. So glad Bednar FINALLY put Nichushkin on his wing and quit trying to make fetch happen with E-Rod and Malgin/Newhook on JTC's wings. That was pretty much putting the onus on the ginger to drive that line and that's a ridiculous ask.

The 4th line had an okay start but even in limited minutes got absolutely gobsmacked. Meyers was caved in and posted by far the worst underlying numbers, and played by far the fewest minutes in that time. Games like this make me wonder if he even has a future as an NHLer. He lost a puck battle you simply cannot lose--the Sharks player was way outstretched and still managed to keep the puck, Meyers was simply too weak there. That wasn't a 50/50 battle, it was more like 70/30, and I don't care if it was Lorentz who was the other guy, he HAS to be better.

He has NHL speed for sure, but his decision-making still feels a half-step too slow. That and his inability to stay strong on pucks make me think he's a tweener or AAAA guy. He won't stick in the NHL as a defensive guy, he has to be able to put the puck in the net, so far that just isn't happening and I really wonder if it ever will at this point. Yet another frustrating player who seems to have the right mindset and works hard, but just has enough weaknesses in his game to prevent him from being impactful at the NHL level.
Meyers is cooked here. Worse decision he's ever made was to sign with us.

Never understood why NCAA free agents sign with top end teams, where they are going to be competing for low end 4th line roles and AHL time. If your game isn't suited for 4th line grinder duties, you are going to have a rough time. Meyers can't play a 4th line role, simply doesn't possess the skills needed for that role at the NHL level.

Meyers should have gone somewhere like San Jose or Columbus where he could get a legit shot at minutes. See if you can get some traction on your career and then go from there.

Hopefully Malinski, Polin and Pavel can translate better. Malinski has some nice skating ability and hockey IQ which should help him as a dman, and Pavel seems like he has that 4th line skill set which is where he'll be. I have some reservations on Polin seems kind of like Meyers 2.0.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Mikko was horrendous last night. Selfish selfish plays all over the ice. I get it your looking for that 50th, but we need wins right now for the top spot in the central
Yep. Exactly this. He was trying way too hard to score. Just play the game and I can almost guarantee that he'll get that goal.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Meh, Mikko didn't bother me overall. I don't think he was selfish per se, I don't recall a moment last game where he tried shooting it when he should have passed. It was all the other guys deferring to him to an insane degree that annoyed me. Sammy had a clear shot down the middle on one break and still fed it all the way across to Rants at a bad angle. Toews did that once too. If anything Mikko was a tad too methodical with his shooting, he took time to aim it and didn't let loose with his one-timer for fear of missing the net. I did get a little annoyed when he missed the next by a wide margin in OT that turned into a 2-on-0 the other way, you cannot afford to miss in 3-on-3 hockey. And that's my concern, his accuracy went out the window after the hand injury.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Meyers is cooked here. Worse decision he's ever made was to sign with us.

Never understood why NCAA free agents sign with top end teams, where they are going to be competing for low end 4th line roles and AHL time. If your game isn't suited for 4th line grinder duties, you are going to have a rough time. Meyers can't play a 4th line role, simply doesn't possess the skills needed for that role at the NHL level.

Meyers should have gone somewhere like San Jose or Columbus where he could get a legit shot at minutes. See if you can get some traction on your career and then go from there.

Hopefully Malinski, Polin and Pavel can translate better. Malinski has some nice skating ability and hockey IQ which should help him as a dman, and Pavel seems like he has that 4th line skill set which is where he'll be. I have some reservations on Polin seems kind of like Meyers 2.0.
I don't think the development path has hurt him--I just don't think he's good enough. It's been a bumpy road since injuries have necessitated too many callups, but he wouldn't be worlds better anywhere else either.

He's kinda stuck unfortunately, not skilled enough to be a top six guy, but not strong or scrappy enough to be an effective bottom sixer either. The fact that Newhook, another frustrating player, actually did pretty well with Cogliano and O'Connor and Meyers was an utter disaster tells me just how lagging Meyers is at this point.

It's like he's utterly incapable of playing north-south hockey, but he can't really pull off east-west either.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm glad they won but holy crap was this messy. With 7 games to go I have no idea why they were trying so hard to feed Mikko. He has plenty of time to score ONE goal. Just play your game and it will come. This team needs wins right now so take care of business first. I could see feeding Mikko with one or two games left and they were playing for nothing but 7 games left? Crazy. With RWs being the first tiebreaker I really hope not winning in regulation last night doesn't come back and bite them in the ass.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Messy, but at this point I don't care about style points. They're in. Just no more injuries, please. Plus, the SJS are scrappy - they beat the Yotes, Jets and VKG's in the last week. They're not good, but they can beat anybody that's not 100% focused.

The Avs have run an incredibly difficult injury-ridden, 7 month gauntlet - without their Captain. Doesn't surprise me that they took their foot off the gas last night. Avs look like a team just waiting for the freaking playoffs to start.

Reactions: Turbonium

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I'm glad they won but holy crap was this messy. With 7 games to go I have no idea why they were trying so hard to feed Mikko. He has plenty of time to score ONE goal. Just play your game and it will come. This team needs wins right now so take care of business first. I could see feeding Mikko with one or two games left and they were playing for nothing but 7 games left? Crazy. With RWs being the first tiebreaker I really hope not winning in regulation last night doesn't come back and bite them in the ass.
It would have to be a perfect storm for that to happen.

Even if the Avs had finished the win in regulation, they’re still 2 regular wins behind Dallas.
For Dallas and Colorado to tie in points but with Colorado getting 2 more regulation wins would require very specific results in a very short time frame.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Avs are going to beat the piss out of San Jose on Thursday. Kahkonen made a bunch of saves last night he had no business making, especially on cross-ice one timers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad