Cut Down Day - What Should Happen

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
There are better player on waivers than Cehlarik this round and have been in previous rounds. He could very well make it through. Then what do you do with him? Keep him and make Providence even more stacked or try and trade him? And for trading him, why would a team move a pick for him when they could have gotten him for free?

Cehlerik's best hope here is to get claimed and get another shot.

If he makes waivers his career is pretty much over. No trade value at this point even as a throw in on a bigger deal.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I doubt Cehlarik gets claimed as he is injured right now anyway. As for Ritchie the only reason he is on the team is that he was one of the off-season signings and Cam most likely has his finger prints on this with his heavy game type of player, that would be fine if he could actually contribute.

Reactions: Blowfish

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I doubt Cehlarik gets claimed as he is injured right now anyway. As for Ritchie the only reason he is on the team is that he was one of the off-season signings and Cam most likely has his finger prints on this with his heavy game type of player, that would be fine if he could actually contribute.
If Ritchie doesn't improve substantially they're going to feel pretty foolish. I'm holding out hope that he's just a player who's apathetic to pre-season. If not, Cam or Donnie or whomever pushed for him is going to look stoopid.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
yeah his spot was so permanent last year that Butch scratched him in game 7 of the finals against his old team.

He might get more rope than a 22 year old kid because of the career he's had and the respect his peers have for him, but there's no reason to believe Cassidy is going to force him into the lineup over a more deserving player.

Then why is Bjork in Providence?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
There are better player on waivers than Cehlarik this round and have been in previous rounds. He could very well make it through. Then what do you do with him? Keep him and make Providence even more stacked or try and trade him? And for trading him, why would a team move a pick for him when they could have gotten him for free?

Cehlarik continues to play better than the other prospects and Backes/Ritchie continue to play like poo and Cehlarik get's another crack.

Reactions: maxl7

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cehlarik continues to play better than the other prospects and Backes/Ritchie continue to play like poo and Cehlarik get's another crack.

Listen I get everybody has their underwear in a bunch because Backes is on the roster but cehlarik absolutely did not player better than him and to lump him in with Ritchie this preseason in terms of performance is incredibly disingenuous. Cehlarik didn’t even play better than him at the NHL level last year imo (which is hard to do), he’s an idiot with and without the puck. Lazy turnovers. Defensive IQ lacking. He’s got size and some skill but no toolbox to put them in

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Listen I get everybody has their underwear in a bunch because Backes is on the roster but cehlarik absolutely did not player better than him and to lump him in with Ritchie this preseason in terms of performance is incredibly disingenuous. Cehlarik didn’t even play better than him at the NHL level last year imo (which is hard to do), he’s an idiot with and without the puck. Lazy turnovers. Defensive IQ lacking. He’s got size and some skill but no toolbox to put them in

Im listening. Cehlarik played 2 early pre season games and plated well. Backes played all games and played well in one game. That’s what I remember.

Cehlarik is not a Cassidy player. That’s cool because I love the system Cassidy has in place.

But Backes and Ritchie don’t fit in that system either

Reactions: PepeBostones

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He played 1 or 2 games then was injured. The games he played he played well.

Can't say I agree with any take that says Cehlarik played well in the games he got into. He wasn't very noticeable. Backes was better. Now, I would have kept Cehlarik up and waived Ritchie, because I'd rather see a guy we drafted stay instead of some scrub who couldn't hack it consistently for a lesser team like the Stars.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Because Bjork getting minutes in Providence and Ritchie in the pressbox in Boston is better (for now) than Bjork in the pressbox in Boston?

But Backes and Ritchie are both in the lineup, and one of them appears to be occupying the 3rd line spot with Coyle and Heinen (I believe Backes ATM). Neither belong on the 3rd line and Bjork looked very good with those two. So how it should have went is Bjork on L3, Backes/Ritchie on Line 4 (until Nordstrom returns) and the other waived; Ritchie because he was the worst player in preseason.

Reactions: Estlin

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
But Backes and Ritchie are both in the lineup, and one of them appears to be occupying the 3rd line spot with Coyle and Heinen (I believe Backes ATM). Neither belong on the 3rd line and Bjork looked very good with those two. So how it should have went is Bjork on L3, Backes/Ritchie on Line 4 (until Nordstrom returns) and the other waived; Ritchie because he was the worst player in preseason.

I'm okay with Bjork getting top line and top PP minutes in Providence to start the year. Injuries will happen, he will be up

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Can't say I agree with any take that says Cehlarik played well in the games he got into. He wasn't very noticeable. Backes was better. Now, I would have kept Cehlarik up and waived Ritchie, because I'd rather see a guy we drafted stay instead of some scrub who couldn't hack it consistently for a lesser team like the Stars.

Cehlarik is only two years younger than Ritchie. How many chances does Cehlarik get without improving his game? At 24 and as an offense only winger that has never actually produced, he is a post prospect.

Ritchie at least can be physical on the 4th line.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Im listening. Cehlarik played 2 early pre season games and plated well. Backes played all games and played well in one game. That’s what I remember.

Cehlarik is not a Cassidy player. That’s cool because I love the system Cassidy has in place.

But Backes and Ritchie don’t fit in that system either
Cehlarik played 2 games the first and the second. He had one strong period between those games and that's it. Meanwhile Backes played in 3 games not all and he had 1 goal and 2 assists. He played in the second, fourth and fifth games. Just like Cehlarik he did not look good in that first game he played but looked good in the last 2.

Reactions: Chief Nine

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Cehlarik is only two years younger than Ritchie. How many chances does Cehlarik get without improving his game? At 24 and as an offense only winger that has never actually produced, he is a post prospect.

Ritchie at least can be physical on the 4th line.

So Cehlarik can offer a little offense to a line and that's not enough, but Ritchie and his zero zone play is? Ritchie isn't even a consistent physical player. He's inconsistent. He's lazy and doesn't bring it nearly enough.

Reactions: Blowfish and maxl7

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He wont take it. He will stay home and be a dad.

I see him taking the Orr route.

Bobby took his root because he was disgusted with the game, the whole Eagleson situation. I don't see Bergeron being disgruntled with the game and can see him in a sort of Veritek/Ortiz roll. Ambassador, part time coach in the minors or going to see local minor or college players. Maybe becoming a GM or assistant GM as his kids get older.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Come on now Lonnie. In a results driven league, you really think ego is going to drive GM decisions (unless you're Chia)? Couldn't it be that Backes looked decent, even good some nights, during this preseason? And we aren't in practices either, and don't know what the team is looking for. What would really look bad is if Backes looked horrible and they still kept him up.

I absolutely believe that money factors into all team's decisions. Not even a doubt in my mind about that. As for Backes and how he looks in preseason, that's great. I hope he does turn it around. I'd say that I'm not as optimistic as you are about it given the lower quality of competition in the preseason than regular, but time will tell...

Reactions: Pia8988

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So Cehlarik can offer a little offense to a line and that's not enough, but Ritchie and his zero zone play is? Ritchie isn't even a consistent physical player. He's inconsistent. He's lazy and doesn't bring it nearly enough.

Neither of them will be playing for this team in the spring. Or even this winter.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I absolutely believe that money factors into all team's decisions. Not even a doubt in my mind about that. As for Backes and how he looks in preseason, that's great. I hope he does turn it around. I'd say that I'm not as optimistic as you are about it given the lower quality of competition in the preseason than regular, but time will tell...
Well, games are about to start, so soon we'll know.:naughty:
I can tell you right now they're already working on prepping the excuse machine for slow and slower.

Reactions: LSCII

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
they're not gonna sign Ritchie and then waive him without him playing an NHL game. And they clearly want to give Backes & his refined skating game a chance before they cut bait. Both guys have a skillset they feel the team lacks after getting bullied in the finals. Bjork is probably better served by finding his game in Providence anyway, so with all those factors combined, here we are. This team isn't going to struggle to score so optimizing the lineup in game 1 is not really necessary. Cassidy is playing the long game and I for one am not worried about it.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
man I'd really like to see them grab Sprong.

It's telling that if they got him off waivers he'd probably already be ahead of Senyshyn in the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad