Cut Down Day - What Should Happen

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I went to Monday and Wednesday, had a coaches view seating-wise , hit training camp and watched the away games best I could

Here is absolutely what should happen if you want to be real - no HF or twitter fantasy world biased shit

Based on
Performance
Options
Stage of development

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-43 or 10
10 or 43- Coyle - Backes*
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Lindholm
Kuhlman- down if carrying 13 F

Who goes down & why
Steen
Studnicka
Frederic
Lauko
Fitzgerald
Shen
Senyshyn

Very very very very impressed with many of their prospects

Step 1
Great - they looked good in camp

Step 2
Develop on and off ice in AHL

If you are that good it will be apparent by Halloween and you will be on fast track

As Bill Parells put best : ‘don’t throw them to the wolves until they are one’

I’m an evaluator I want to see these training camp stars on Sunday afternoon on third game in 40 hours

Waivers
Cehlarik- sadly no room. Free him
Ritchie

DEFENSE
Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Clifton
Kampfer

Down

Zboril
Lauzon
Petrovic

I had a positive view of Zboril and Lauzon

I have no problem with either playing 3rd pair

Zboril was very good Monday- I read otherwise but I’ll stick with my take

Lauzon close

Petrovic I like and would keep - skates well has a nice first burst which I had no idea. Plays hard and clears the area

I’ve read he can’t fight so if players are required to also fight in MMA I probably don’t want him

There it is

Not what I had a week ago that’s for sure

One thing on Senyshyn

If he plays with that much ‘involvement’ he’s got a NHL future

Watching him it’s as if he’s playing a watching game - waiting to join the play as opposed to jumping into it

He’s got the size and skating and shot but it’s useless if you are not involved

My advice would be just that

Stop thinking what and where you are supposed to be doing and where you are supposed to be doing it and join the action

His first period was outstanding/
I had to look twice one time to confirm it was him - he’s always hovering. Last night he was in the middle of it and his feet were moving

I believe he has the smarts and he wants it but he needs to get in there and make it happen not watch it happen

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Apparently some posters are confused by the term "cut".

It's going to be interesting on who management decides to cut.
One way or another things can change really fast with injuries and/or players performance.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
@DKH, you only had 1 game to evaluate Senyshyn.
No shots on net, 2 hits, less than 12 toi.

What are your thoughts on him for this limited viewing?

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Dan--I think your suggested line-up out of camp is right on the money. However, I'm guessing they want to keep Ritchie around in the hope that he can be the big body RW they desire.

We'll soon find out as Coach Cassidy said they want to be down to one group before Saturday.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Dan--I think your line-up out of camp is right on the money. However, I'm guessing they want to keep Ritchie around in the hope that he can be the big body RW they desire.

We'll soon find out as Coach Cassidy said they want to be down to one group before Saturday.

Per Cassidy last night, lots of cuts before practice tomorrow (Friday).

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Sent down:

Jack Studnicka
Oskar Steen
Zach Senyshyn
Ryan Fitzgerald
Pavel Shen
Trent Frederic
Jakub Zboril
Kyle Keyser
Maxime Lagace

Waive:

Brett Ritchie
Peter Cehlarik (try and trade for a pick)

Lineup for next game:

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
DeBrusk -- Lindholm -- Bjork
Heinen -- Coyle -- Kuhlman
Wagner -- Kuraly -- Backes

Krejci = Injured
Nordstrom = Injured

Grzlecyk -- McAvoy
Krug -- Carlo
Lauzon -- Clifton

Kampfer = You know what he is, #7
Chara = Rest

Rask

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Roster hopeful Peter Cehlarik, who was absent from practice the last two days, has an undisclosed lower body injury and could return later this week

Chances remain slim that PTO defenseman Alex Petrovic makes the roster. The 27-year-old, right-shot backliner may have been the only person at Warrior Ice Arena who was bummed when Charlie McAvoy and Carlo re-signed. It pushed him further down the chart. “Had a depressing day,” Cassidy said. “Then I think he got back to playing.” Cassidy called him hard on the puck and dependable, though Cassidy said he needs to move the puck quicker to play in the Bruins’ system. Connor Clifton and Steven Kampfer falling off would open the door for Petrovic to remain with the varsity.

Help wanted on penalty kill

With the defection of Noel Acciari to Florida (first Panthers game in Boston: Nov. 12), the Bruins are down a right-shooting penalty-killer. Cassidy’s corresponding lineup tweak is not insignificant.

In addition to the returning Sean Kuraly, Chris Wagner, and Joakim Nordstrom, Cassidy figures he’ll start off digging into a mixed bag. His evaluation of the unit as a whole is a bit compromised because Nordstrom (foot) has been slowed this camp, and regular defensemen John Moore (shoulder) and Kevan Miller (knee) have not practiced this preseason.
Par Lindholm, a left-stick option, was in Cassidy’s view positionally sound with a sharp stick in his NHL debut last year (Toronto/Winnipeg). He’s also capable at the faceoff dot (50.1 success last year). Danton Heinen, a left shot, and right-shooting Karson Kuhlman and Charlie Coyle could see time on the kill. Cassidy is intrigued by new addition Brett Ritchie, but thinks he could be better on the other side of special teams. “He’s got a long stick,” Cassidy said, “but I think he’s more of a net-front, power-play guy.”

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
@DKH, you only had 1 game to evaluate Senyshyn.
No shots on net, 2 hits, less than 12 toi.

What are your thoughts on him for this limited viewing?
The single easiest guy ever to evaluate

You don’t have to watch him skate or check out his size

Is he in the play or not

If he’s in the play is it conscious or unconscious- did he decide I better do it or is it his makeup his DNA

I think they raised him like veal in the AHL to break habits - star scorer with great shot not sure saw the ice or had any jam - his mindset was offense

Now they break his game down and get him to play 200 feet

Comes with rep as willing learner and great kid

Let’s see what happens

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Don’t have time to get into this too deep because I have some real job work to do, but quickly:

Based on performance in Camp:

63-37-88
74-46-10
43-13-62
50-52-14
26-20

48-73
47-25
33-75

Based on other stuff:

63-37-88
74-46-42/18
43-13-42/18
20-52-14
26-83

33-73
37-25
48-75

This is assuming health for all parties.

I was pleasantly surprised by:

Gaunce, Lindholm, Zboril, Petrovic

Guys who are good enough to be on the team, but will be sent down (at least to start season):

Bjork, Steen, Kuhlman (maybe), Gaunce, Senyshyn, Vaak, Lauzon, Zboril, Petrovic

The biggest screw-job will be Bjork, who has absolutely earned a look over Backes and that slug Ritchie. Next would be Steen, who has been great (but I get letting him get some experience in PRO).

Mic drop...

Lol.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Is he in the play or not

If he’s in the play is it conscious or unconscious- did he decide I better do it or is it his makeup his DNA

I think they raised him like veal in the AHL to break habits - star scorer with great shot not sure saw the ice or had any jam - his mindset was offense

Let’s see what happens
That's great, let's hope he puts it all together in the A
It's up to him now.

Reactions: DKH

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Dead mans boots rules:

You have to be better than the player in the spot your competing for to take his job from him.

Has Bjork been better than Kuhlman? Enough to take his spot on the big club from him? Or does management want to see if Bjork can play 90 days without requiring surgury?

Reactions: BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Liked Senny when I saw him live vs the Devils in NJ. He's always head down, skating hard, working hard for the puck....Saw zero offensive acumen though...It's like they stripped all that skill from him to make a mucker lol.

In fairness to him, why would he ever show them he's still got offensive inclinations? They've been beating those instincts out of him for years now in the minors and showing them will only prolong his misery. :laugh:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
In fairness to him, why would he ever show them he's still got offensive inclinations? They've been beating those instincts out of him for years now in the minors and showing them will only prolong his misery. :laugh:

No sir.

When did Seny ever have any offensive instincts outside juniors?

The first year of Providence Seny would glide past everyone along the boards and toss a weak wrister at goal which either missed or was easily saved.

I propose that Senyhas YET to show he has finishing offensive instincts in the opponents zone.

Enough with the "Claude hates offense" takes. Seny is not Ryan Spooner.

Besides, asking a player to player well without the puck is a requirement to be an NHL forward in Boston(and most NHL teams)

Is Winnipeg wrong for asking Laine to learn to play without the puck?

Reactions: Spooner st

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Dead mans boots rules:

You have to be better than the player in the spot your competing for to take his job from him.

Has Bjork been better than Kuhlman? Enough to take his spot on the big club from him? Or does management want to see if Bjork can play 90 days without requiring surgury?

I think Bjork has been better than Kuhlman, but I think you are a little off base. If the B’s prefer the RH Kuhlman with Krejci, that’s fine, but why isn’t Bjork with Heinen and Coyle on the 3rd line if that’s the case?

He has significantly outperformed both Ritchie and Backes for that spot.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Is he in the play or not

Let’s see what happens
Your evaluation of Senyshyn is precisely what I saw in his NHL time last season. I described it as “stops and starts”... He’d wait for a play to develop and then use his speed to catch up to it.

He was lauded on these boards for his performance and there’s certainly something there. But in my eyes, he is still a ways off. I’d like to see him use his physical attributes to start to dictate the pace of play rather than reacting to it.

I trust @Saxon Eric and @BruinsNetwork will keep us up to speed on his progress in Providence this season.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I think Bjork has been better than Kuhlman, but I think you are a little off base. If the B’s prefer the RH Kuhlman with Krejci, that’s fine, but why isn’t Bjork with Heinen and Coyle on the 3rd line if that’s the case?

He has significantly outperformed both Ritchie and Backes for that spot.

I'll agree with you on that. But I dont think managment is going to give up on Backes and the "Physical 3RW" mold they seem to be stuck on(Neely?)

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
No sir.

When did Seny ever have any offensive instincts outside juniors?

The first year of Providence Seny would glide past everyone along the boards and toss a weak wrister at goal which either missed or was easily saved.

I propose that Senyhas YET to show he has finishing offensive instincts in the opponents zone.

Enough with the "Claude hates offense" takes. Seny is not Ryan Spooner.

Besides, asking a player to player well without the puck is a requirement to be an NHL forward in Boston(and most NHL teams)

Is Winnipeg wrong for asking Laine to learn to play without the puck?

Well that could be all well and good but you just described all the exact reasons you don't take such a major project at fifteenth overall. He was a sniper in juniors. If you take him to turn him into a mucker what the heck was the point? Enhance the skills he has then work on everything else. Maybe let him get some first line time and first line PP time and not give a crap he's putting up a -10 at the end of the season in the AHL? News to the Bruins brass but you're not good 5v5 goal scoring wise. You could use some help there, can't expect the refs to give you 5 PP a game in the play-offs.

Reactions: BTO and Tbaybruin

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Well that could be all well and good but you just described all the exact reasons you don't take such a major project at fifteenth overall. He was a sniper in juniors. If you take him to turn him into a mucker what the heck was the point? Enhance the skills he has then work on everything else. Maybe let him get some first line time and first line PP time and not give a crap he's putting up a -10 at the end of the season in the AHL? News to the Bruins brass but you're not good 5v5 goal scoring wise. You could use some help there, can't expect the refs to give you 5 PP a game in the play-offs.

I think "enhancing his skills" is more on him than the coaches.
Teachers can spend a year explaining Calculus to me, but if I dont put out effort and invest in a lot of study time I'm still going the fail the final exam.

Seny has improved his offensive game, IMO. Just not enough to be in the conversation with guys like Kuhlman and Bjork.

Senyshyn was drafted for his next level speed. They then wanted him to work on both his offense and defense in Providence. Both have improved over the past few years, but not to the same degree as other prospects who are passing him now.

Blaming management for a prospect not making the team seems more like vindictive bitterness to me than being anywhere near actual fact. Was Spooner ruined by Claude? He's had time to play on other teams in other more offensive open styles and STILL has not succeeded. Cant blame the boss if you cant get a promotion when given every chance to do so.

Seny needed to do more this summer.
He hasnt, just like Cehlarik.

Reactions: BMC

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Thank you Dan and everybody who have been to training camp and seen the games in close.

It's been tremendous to read your reports. Especially of course the young players and prospects we're so excited about or at least very hopeful.

Watching a few exhibition games I loved how the Bruins rookies handled themselves against proven NHL players. I think we can rest assured the Bruins prospects are as good a group as any other team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00