Player Discussion Curtis Lazar appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Just read the scouting reports when some question if he will ever be a Nhl player that should say something.

Dude 2/3rds of the people Mackenzie interviewed said at least top 9 player lmao. People are so stuck on that it's hilarious. Of course only stuck on the 1/3 that had questions.

Let me say. That is incredibly high amount of "top 9" votes for a second rounder and an incredibly low amount of "might not play in the NHL consistently" votes for a second rounder.

Oct 10, 2010
Why do we always have to have an appreciation thread every time someone leaves? The title should be " don't let the door hit you on the way out"

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would actually like to see lazar in between stalberg and wingels. We finally built an okay fourth line for lazar to break into and be a little insulated and find his groove and possibly move up the lineup and then nope.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Stop trying to sound like an expert. Name one prospect that passed him. You elude to more than one.

You want him to stop sounding "like an expert" because the other 7 or 8 above him don't sound the same...just not in the Dahlen camp?

That is truly rich.

Anyways, Lazar's play last year already showed him stalling. He was not going to be the player we were told he was going to be. Or wanted him to be. **** happens sometimes and to prove that scouting isn't all that is cracked up to be. After we drafted Lazar, he was in the spotlight and excelled at the WJHC. So this is not on the organization, but on he player "missing". Again, stuff happens.

He just did not translate to the NHL game. And probably won't.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I always appreciate his attitude. Always good and positive.

Ottawa rushed him and he is stalled in development but he can't be sent down to reboot or get some seasoning without being claimed off waivers so the Sens are in a corner.

The trade works for both sides as it give Lazar a reboot that he needs and I hope he develops into a decent player but I don't see that happening soon without the change of scenery.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You want him to stop sounding "like an expert" because the other 7 or 8 above him don't sound the same...just not in the Dahlen camp?

That is truly rich.

Anyways, Lazar's play last year already showed him stalling. He was not going to be the player we were told he was going to be. Or wanted him to be. **** happens sometimes and to prove that scouting isn't all that is cracked up to be. After we drafted Lazar, he was in the spotlight and excelled at the WJHC. So this is not on the organization, but on he player "missing". Again, stuff happens.

Meh. The kid didn't get a chance to handle the puck in high pressure situations for like 2 and a half seasons. I don't under estimate what that can do to somehow who's job is to.... handle hockey pucks in high pressure situations.

Don't drink the Murray koolaid. Unfortunately Murray and his sith apprentice probably don't view lazar as a lesson learned.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Why do we always have to have an appreciation thread every time someone leaves? The title should be " don't let the door hit you on the way out"

Maybe we should have a deprecating thread instead so we can knock the crap out of the player we just traded.

- Yes he was a 1st round pick but we screwed you guys in CGY by getting a 2nd mid-pick. We'd have been happy with a 7th
- Wanna see a trick? Drop some leftovers the kid eats off the floor.
- We never did like that stupid grin he always has on his face he looks like the guy who is the butt of the joke but who doesn't get it
- No need for a Zamboni just wait til you CGY fans see how clean the ice gets after his regular ass wipe shifts
- Your management will have to spend more money fixing the right side boards he loves to get crushed on those
- He'll be better one day.... so he says
- He'll give you a good 3 minutes per game if you don't mind the goal or 2 against

How's that for starters?

If you ever read this... I'm just kidding Lazar I'm on your side and wish you the best in CGY

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

That is truly rich.

Meh. The kid didn't get a chance to handle the puck in high pressure situations for like 2 and a half seasons. I don't under estimate what that can do to somehow who's job is to.... handle hockey pucks in high pressure situations.

Don't drink the Murray koolaid. Unfortunately Murray and his sith apprentice probably don't view lazar as a lesson learned.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Seemed like a phenomenal kid and always gave his best. Seemed to really be affected by slumps and made it worse in a classic "gripping the stick too tight" sense. I hope he settles in and has a long, enjoyable career.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I met Lazar at the grocery store in Stittsville last yr, I didn't bug him but said hi & good luck. He does come across as a very nice young man & I wish him the best.

I met Mark Stone for the third time this past summer on the bus coming back from a REDBLACKS game with a beautiful young blonde. He too seemed very nice & I wished him good luck for the coming yr too. The other time was at Napoli's in Stittsville & the first time was when he first came to Ottawa after his junior season was over in the hallway up where the boxes are where the players & managers always sit.

FreakyBunny

Sep 4, 2006
Ottawa
Sorry if this has already been covered: Was he still on a two way entry level contract and therefore not subject to waivers?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Sorry if this has already been covered: Was he still on a two way entry level contract and therefore not subject to waivers?

He's still on his ELC due to the entry level slide but no Lazar is not waiver exempted and he's an RFA at season's end. That is a bone of contention with many Sens fans. The Sens GM could have let him play more AHL games but brought him up before he was ready and he went over the number of NHL games played that would have kept him waiver exempt. Even when it got close and he wasn't playing well they could have sent him back but didn't! He'd still be a Senator if not for our GM Dorion!

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
In hindsight, Lazar is a kid who matured early, and thus put up good numbers in junior. Once others caught up with him, he wasn't able to take his game to the next level. If Lazar had one aspect of his game that was outstanding, I would be concerned with the trade, but the truth is that he doesn't. Is he lightning fast? No. Is he big? Not particularly. Is he tough? Not really. Great hockey sense? No. How are his hands? Awful. There just isn't any one area where he stands out. He's full of big dreams and confidence like most Millennials, but this isn't the try hard league - it's the get it done league.

Oh, and I was happy to see Brennan pan the trade. That's your guarantee that Dorion did the right thing in shipping him out. The question to ask now is how our scouting staff missed on him, and to learn some lessons from that.

Could not have said it better myself.

His stupid smile killed me slowly. You dont laugh off missed opportunities.

Kid lacked passion. Look at Ek and Alfie ans Spezza. They had fun but they had that fire.

Not this kid.

Good riddance. Happy we are getting rid of the dead weight. We gotta be like the Patriots.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
I too blame Dorion for not leaving Lazar in Bingo like he should have. Also Dorion should have known that with the pressure to win games and make the playoffs any coach including Boucher wouldn't play a kid over vets while he had any other option unless he was overwhelming. That's why Prince and Puempel are gone too.

Yesterday there was no pressure to move Lazar for a near worthless 2nd. He could have been one of the group of extra bodies that will be in the stands when everyone is healthy. As I posted elsewhere next season they only have 9 one way deals at forward including Pageau and Borrows and who knows who Vegas might take. There was room to let Lazar fight for a spot next year after a good summer of training, more maturing and a full camp. If it didn't work missing out on a weak 2nd this summer wouldn't have been much to be concerned about and some type of deal might have still been available elsewhere.

This is 100% on lazar. Look at Dzingel. He created his own opportunity.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Rushing a kid to the NHL to play him 4th line minutes is, well, very very stupid. Oh well, on to the next one.

Especially when you play the kid with plugs. Lazar did get opportunities under Cameron and he scored a bit. I think the coaching change, mono and concussion screwed him this year. Wouldnt be surprised to see him revert back to being a bottom 6er. It seemed the relationship in ottawa might have been a bit tainted with him asking for a trade. It certainly wouldnt have been good if he finished with one point for the whole season

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Could not have said it better myself.

His stupid smile killed me slowly. You dont laugh off missed opportunities.

Kid lacked passion. Look at Ek and Alfie ans Spezza. They had fun but they had that fire.

Not this kid.

Good riddance. Happy we are getting rid of the dead weight. We gotta be like the Patriots.

....so much hate for nothing. :shakehead

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
....so much hate for nothing. :shakehead

He's a little too extreme in his hatred for Lazar, but he does have a point. Lazar seemed too passive, he definitely didn't have that "fire" in him. It's ok to get mad, Lazar was smiling every second, how can you be so snake bitten and not get a bit angry or frustrated? I know it's 1 game, but you can tell Burrows has that will to win, that passion that Lazar lacked.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

That is truly rich.

wtf are you talking about? 1 poster before him mentioned Dahlen in passing. There are certainly no where near 7 or 8 comments about Dahlen..

park your rich

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He's a little too extreme in his hatred for Lazar, but he does have a point. Lazar seemed too passive, he definitely didn't have that "fire" in him. It's ok to get mad, Lazar was smiling every second, how can you be so snake bitten and not get a bit angry or frustrated? I know it's 1 game, but you can tell Burrows has that will to win, that passion that Lazar lacked.

People show passion in different ways. Lazar had looked visibly frustrated on many occasions this year. Just because he tends to smile a lot does not mean he lacks fire.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
This is 100% on lazar. Look at Dzingel. He created his own opportunity.
Lets be fair. Dzingel went though 3 years of college, 3 pro seasons mostly in the AHL with many NHL call-ups before he found a spot. Dzingel took a totally different path and had the opportunity to develop his pro game in the AHL. He'll be 25 in a few days and Lazar just turned 22 last month. 3 full years is a lot of time to grow into your body.

Lazar was expected to jump right from junior to the NHL (Sens management set high expectations when they labelled him an NHL player right away) and while somewhat physically mature his game wasn't and then he got mono at the worst possible time before this season. No training, no camp and no chance to regain his health under the stress to perform at the highest level with a new coach who had to win at all cost.

Yes it was on him but I don't believe that this season is a true indicator of his capabilities. Even if he turns out to be no more than a 3rd line / 4th line tweener, was a poor 2nd rounder enough for a young NHL player who has untapped potential to be better. The pick is much more of a gamble especially when this management throws those away like nickels.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Funny after his firs t~20 games everyone was talking about how engaged he was and that passion was there. Hitting everything. Hunting people down. This team sucked the life out of him.
Now. Did we turn a ppg 30 goal center into a dud. Absolutely not. But we sucked the love of the game of the kid. I've never seen a kid play scared like that. Only other comparable was gagner in Edmonton. Although gagner was and is much more skilled. Just played frightened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad