HF Habs: Current Standings Thread - Do it right for Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
You never really know what can happen at trade deadline day - Paul Gaustad once got a first.

So there's an ability on the following to maybe get a first:
Tyler Toffoli
Mike Hoffman
Arturri Lehkonen
Joel Edmundson
Jake Allen
Brendan Gallagher (with retention)
Carey Price (with retention)
Joel Armia (minor retention)
Jeff Petry

I'm not saying they are worth it, but in the right market and the right play, it can happen.

Ahh, ok, fair enough. That would be great but this team has a tendency to let me down...

Safe to say, UFAs will be moved; Chiarot and Kulak I'm sure. Perhaps Wideman as well. I really don't think we'll move Paquette or Perreault, though the latter doesn't bother me. Lehkonen would maybe get us something, especially since he's a RFA.

Those players with term, I don't think we will see them moved at the TDL. Maybe a draft day or offseason trade.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
How realistic is it to be trading players under contract at the trade deadline though?

I haven't closely followed the pasts trade dead lines at all, as I am getting back into NHL hockey, but I remember 15 years ago it was exclusively players that were on their last contract year that were traded to contenders. Has this trend changed recently?

Yes. A lot of GM's, especially of bubble teams, are now wanting guys that they would be able to keep for the following year. It's still rare, but a guy like Lekhonen will have a lot of takers because he will still have some value after the playoffs. Guys with a +1 year like Byron and Drouin will also be desirable...for the same reason... but those deals still seem more complicated so the tradition rentals are still popular!

Reactions: Licou

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Another tank about to join us: the Flyers. They have been atrocious lately. No offense. Leaking defense. And Carter Hart couldn't stop a beach ball.:help:

Reactions: amethyst

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Another tank about to join us: the Flyers. They have been atrocious lately. No offense. Leaking defense. And Carter Hart couldn't stop a beach ball.:help:

Yeah, this is not an easy tank battle by any measure. Teams that should not be this bad are joining teams we know are bad.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
And they are forced into playing Keith Yandle who should've retired 5 years ago as he is one of the worst defenseman in the league, but is hellbent on chasing down our boy Doug Jarvis' ironman record.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I really hope we can draft 1st overall, Wright, Suzuki, Poehling and Evans it's pretty good C core to have.

If not my target is Kemell, Jiricek, Nemec or Slafkovsky. (Miroshnichenko or Yurov can be great draft pick too).

Savoie looks pretty good but i don't know if it's a good idea to have 5"9 forward. We already have Caufield at 5"7 and maybe Farrell at 5"9 if he become a top 6 player.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
upload_2021-12-9_8-14-5.png

Arizona 3 pts back with 2 games in hand
Ottawa tied with 3 games in hand
Islanders 2 pts up with 6 games in hand
Buffalo 4 pts up with 2 games in hand
Chicago 5 pts up with 2 games in hand
Seattle 5 pts up with 2 games in hand
Philly 5 pts up with 3 games in hand
Vancouver 7 pts up
LA 9 pts up with 3 games in hand
NJ 10 pts up with 3 games in hand

Big game tonight where we need to drop to the Blackhawks
Islanders W vs. Nashville would be nice
Seattle W vs. Winnipeg
Kings W vs. Dallas

Reactions: Canadienna

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I really hope we can draft 1st overall, Wright, Suzuki, Poehling and Evans it's pretty good C core to have.

If not my target is Kemell, Jiricek, Nemec or Slafkovsky. (Miroshnichenko or Yurov can be great draft pick too).

Savoie looks pretty good but i don't know if it's a good idea to have 5"9 forward. We already have Caufield at 5"7 and maybe Farrell at 5"9 if he become a top 6 player.

Not drafting Savoie because of Caufield or Farrell is awful logic.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I'd be happy with Jiricek this year and Bedard next year.

But Savoie-Bedard would be insane lmao

Imo we are more likely to sell heavy this year, given that any of the top 3 next year are franchise forwards.

If we sold last year, the calculus would have to be quite different, without a spectacular top 3 ahead.

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
The wjc is going to be insane for us with the high pick we have this year. Were going to be able to look our future first pick! Wooop

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Unless we pick Savoie because, Hockey Canada?

For the record, I agree with Hockey Canada with excluding Savoie. It would have come down to Savoie vs. Bedard and Bedard is a generational talent that you want at least 2 years at the WJC (like McDavid/Crosby). Savoie can play next year, and I'll be blunt in saying, if we play Savoie next year in the NHL we haven't learned anything: send him back for a WJC year with Bedard (and Geekie) and a memorial cup run with Geekie.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I may be wrong but if MTL is not picking 1st, it could set them up for a good D : in the top 5, I could see a guy like Nemec being a great pick (kind of Seider in DET) but I tend to pick Dmen higher in my mocks than where they end up landing.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I may be wrong but if MTL is not picking 1st, it could set them up for a good D : in the top 5, I could see a guy like Nemec being a great pick (kind of Seider in DET) but I tend to pick Dmen higher in my mocks than where they end up landing.

They have to be smart with their pick. Sometimes, as we’ve seen in the past, the consensus first overall pick isn’t the best player and you get roped into picking him because of the what if’s. The Habs should see the bottom of the NHL for at least 2 seasons if they find trade partner for Price and other vets. They better have a plan to do whatever they can to get the players they think will better propel this team out of the darkness.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
They have to be smart with their pick. Sometimes, as we’ve seen in the past, the consensus first overall pick isn’t the best player and you get roped into picking him because of the what if’s. The Habs should see the bottom of the NHL for at least 2 seasons if they find trade partner for Price and other vets. They better have a plan to do whatever they can to get the players they think will better propel this team out of the darkness.

They can hire me for the head of scouting (I have been on fire with my mockdraft in the past ten years ;) ) (JOKE ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad