Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

[Mod update]

Ground Rules:

If you want to cheer against your Habs so they can improve their draft position do it here.

If you root against the Habs in GDT's or other threads on the Habs board, you may be warned for trolling.

This thread is a sanctuary for tankers.

Don't bring your anti-tank arguments here or you may be warned for trolling.

Tank you for your support.

Tank update:

upload_2021-11-9_8-17-25.png

3 pts up with 1 more GP.
Tied in pts with Chicago.
We are 3rd last.
1 pt behind Ottawa, with 2 more GP.
3 pts behind Seattle, with 1 more GP.
3 pts back of Colorado, with 3 more GP.
4 pts back of Dallas, with 2 more GP.
4 pts back of Boston, with 4 more GP
5 pts back of Vancouver, with 1 more GP.
5 pts back of Pittsburgh, with 3 more GP.

We are 6 pts back of Buffalo with 1 more GP.

Still some work to do to be comfortable in the bottom 10 of the league, but we've played the most games in the league with Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Tank update:

View attachment 478363

3 pts up with 1 more GP.
We are 3rd last.

Still some work to do to be comfortable in the bottom 10 of the league, but we've played the most games in the league with Chicago.

We ALWAYS play the most games than other teams early in season.

Reactions: PhysicX

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Tank update:

View attachment 478363

3 pts up with 1 more GP.
We are 3rd last.

Gonna be tough to out-tank Arizona.

I do think Chicago is going to kick it up a gear at some point.

Reactions: Gjman2019

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Gonna be tough to out-tank Arizona.

I do think Chicago is going to kick it up a gear at some point.

There's no way we out-tank Arizona, that's for sure. I agree on Chicago, but it's a matter of do they kick out of their slump before we do - we are poorly constructed but this isn't a bottom 3 team in the league.

If we can keep the chasm between us and the other bottom feeders large enough before we start 'figuring it out' (i.e. playing .500ish hockey); we should at least keep ourselves in the lottery conversation and out of the buffer zone of losing our own first.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
There's no way we out-tank Arizona, that's for sure. I agree on Chicago, but it's a matter of do they kick out of their slump before we do - we are poorly constructed but this isn't a bottom 3 team in the league.

If we can keep the chasm between us and the other bottom feeders large enough before we start 'figuring it out' (i.e. playing .500ish hockey); we should at least keep ourselves in the lottery conversation and out of the buffer zone of losing our own first.

Yeah, I don’t think we’ll finish bottom-3 but hopefully within or below the buffer of 5-7.

The rest of this month is tough for us and December looks brutal. Doable.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Arizona will not be beat in the tank race. Lock them into the bottom.

Buffalo is coming for us. The roster is too bad, I'm afraid they still end up 2nd last comfortably. They banked some unexpected points but their free fall has begun.

Detroit, I'm hoping they are legitimately better this year and end up around .500 are not far below. I'm jealous of Seider and Raymond, must feel nice to hit on high picks and it seems they're doing that since Yzerman took charge.

Seattle is another threat, I'm not sure we can stay below them. Some of the Cali teams will probably come into play too.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
It's tough when a team is on the cusp of the playoffs, whether to be a buyer or seller. The upside here could be that decision is real easy. The trade deadline could be interesting.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It’s crazy how Montreal squandered such a favourable schedule. They’ll still be playing a few teams currently outside of a playoff spot until the end of the month.

Reactions: Gravity

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
It's tough when a team is on the cusp of the playoffs, whether to be a buyer or seller. The upside here could be that decision is real easy. The trade deadline could be interesting.

It's not tough when you have vision and know where your team actually stands.

Last year it was VERY obvious the Habs had no business being in the playoffs and wouldn't be contenders. But Bergevin still decided to go forward with being buyer instead of selling Danault/Tatar.

I know in the end they made the finals but it was against all odds and we very well knew while it was happening that while it was fun it would mean we'd take a step back in the end.

And it's exactly where we stand today.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Detroit, I'm hoping they are legitimately better this year and end up around .500 are not far below. I'm jealous of Seider and Raymond, must feel nice to hit on high picks and it seems they're doing that since Yzerman took charge.
Did he bring in new people to do the drafting?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
upload_2021-11-10_8-6-4.png

So while we got a point last night, Chicago won so it actually improved our draft position right now.

Arizona is 4 pts behind us with 2 games in hand.
Ottawa is tied in pts with us and have 2 games in hand.
Chicago is 1 pt ahead of us.
Seattle are 2 pts ahead with 1 game in hand.
Colorado are 2 pts ahead with 4 games in hand.
Dallas 3 pts ahead with 3 games in hand.
Vancouver 5 pts ahead with 1 game in hand.
Buffalo 5 pts ahead with 2 games in hand.
Pittsburgh 5 pts ahead with 3 games in hand.
Islanders 5 pts ahead with 4 games in hand.

Based on current positioning we are slotting 1-5 in the draft order pre-lotto with Arizona, Ottawa, Chicago and Seattle. Everyone else has ~3 games separation based on pts and a .500 record with their games in hand.

Dallas & Arizona are the only ones in the bottom 10 right now who play tonight.

For those who are still play-off focused, the Canadiens would need to overcome a 9 pt deficit to Detroit without Toronto and Tampa Bay earning pts in their 2 and 1 game in hand respectively to have a spot in the division.

For wildcard they would need to overcome a 7 pt and 4 game in hand deficit to Philadelphia while leapfrogging 7 other teams.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
It's not tough when you have vision and know where your team actually stands.

Last year it was VERY obvious the Habs had no business being in the playoffs and wouldn't be contenders. But Bergevin still decided to go forward with being buyer instead of selling Danault/Tatar.

I know in the end they made the finals but it was against all odds and we very well knew while it was happening that while it was fun it would mean we'd take a step back in the end.

And it's exactly where we stand today.
So it wasn`t tough for Columbus a couple of years ago?

And it`s always against the odds, so in theory, virtually all teams should be sellers every year, if someone looks at it that way.

It also dépends on how many sellers there are. If there are a bunch, the returns will not be great. Draft picks that may play on your team in 3-5 years (best case scenario) are not great returns.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

There is a way - Arizona just sold their players over the summer, but we could sell in December potentially at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad