HF Habs: Current Standings Thread - Do it right for Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Objective number one is to ensure that we keep our pick
Your right, everybody (including myself) speak as if the top 10 pick is assured, but we have to remember that the safe zone is actually top 8 in pick since we can drop two spot in the draft with the lottery.

And the Habs are only 5 little points away from 24th place, meaning that a win in Nashville and vs Tampa like it came close too the last two game would have put us only 2 pts away from dangerous territory. Yes, the other bottom teams have game in hands, but still, it's not like we pick-clutched yet.

HUGE loss tonigh.

Last edited:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Well that was a close call....I mean, who do they think they are almost beating the Lightning with that lineup?....Anyways, crisis averted.

Yes, it will be tough to out-tank the Sabres and Coyotes.

This is what a game against the Sabres or Coyotes looks like in my head:

jta9A8X.gif

Reactions: HughesNation

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It's crazy that the way the NHL Draft Lottery is set up, if Montreal finishes 2nd to last in the standings, they have a much higher chance of picking 4th (42.2%) or 3rd (32,2%) than stay in that 2nd overall spot (13.6%)...

Reactions: WinterLion

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's crazy that the way the NHL Draft Lottery is set up, if Montreal finishes 2nd to last in the standings, they have a much higher chance of picking 4th (42.2%) or 3rd (32,2%) than stay in that 2nd overall spot (13.6%)...
Wow...........that's weird....what would be the % of moving up one spot to win the lottery?

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
We’re up against big time competitors for that tanking season. Arizona, Buffalo and Ottawa have a long standing tradition of tanking. They know how to do it Wright. That’s scary.

Reactions: iamtalbot

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Wow...........that's weird....what would be the % of moving up one spot to win the lottery?

12.1%

We have a much better chance of drafting 3rd or 4th at the moment (74.4%) than drafting 1st or 2nd (25.7%)

Reactions: BLONG7

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Unless Gary steps in.............?
Just joking.....drafting first overall while having the draft at the Bell Centre............

Yes, it would be amazing....Too bad Mario Lemieux reincarnated isn't draft eligible...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Unless Gary steps in.............?
Just joking.....drafting first overall while having the draft at the Bell Centre............

With 2 other 1sts and a boat load of picks to move up the draft board.

I'm gonna dream of a Wright + Mateychuk + Mesar combo or
Jiricek + Kasper + Perevalov

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

This is a huge draft for Montreal. I just hope Gorton doesn't "Don Sweeney" this draft like Sweeney did in 2015 for the Bruins. How can you miss on so many good players? Thank god for Carlo and Debrusk....but they could have recharged that whole roster into a cup contender for another 10-15 years with the right picks.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

YES. There is really no advantage in the "full tank"... but's it's fun anyways!

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I know you’ve mentioned two other firsts a few times but maybe I’m slow. Chiarot maybe can net us a first… who was the other? Like I said, maybe I’m slow but I don’t see any realistic trade candidate get us a first this season.

Unless you’re talking about packaging something up with a second?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
This is a huge draft for Montreal. I just hope Gorton doesn't "Don Sweeney" this draft like Sweeney did in 2015 for the Bruins. How can you miss on so many good players? Thank god for Carlo and Debrusk....but they could have recharged that whole roster into a cup contender for another 10-15 years with the right picks.

Passing on Barzal 3 times, imagine that.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not sure I comprehend that well. In the past, the last place team had a 80% chance to loose the 1st OA pick and were also at risk of picking 4th. Seems similar to me with a few tweaks

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Key games for tonight:

Canucks win versus Bruins
Flyers win OT/SO vs Devils

Regardless of outcome, ideally we want the the Stars to have a tough night tonight as they play LAK tomorrow. The more tired and beaten up they are, the better so that LAK can pick up the win.

Not sure I comprehend that well. In the past, the last place team had a 80% chance to loose the 1st OA pick and were also at risk of picking 4th. Seems similar to me with a few tweaks

You’re right. It has been tweaked a little but the concept of having a greater chance of NOT picking in your designated spot remains.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I know you’ve mentioned two other firsts a few times but maybe I’m slow. Chiarot maybe can net us a first… who was the other? Like I said, maybe I’m slow but I don’t see any realistic trade candidate get us a first this season.

Unless you’re talking about packaging something up with a second?

You never really know what can happen at trade deadline day - Paul Gaustad once got a first.

So there's an ability on the following to maybe get a first:
Tyler Toffoli
Mike Hoffman
Arturri Lehkonen
Joel Edmundson
Jake Allen
Brendan Gallagher (with retention)
Carey Price (with retention)
Joel Armia (minor retention)
Jeff Petry

I'm not saying they are worth it, but in the right market and the right play, it can happen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You never really know what can happen at trade deadline day - Paul Gaustad once got a first.

Tyler Toffoli
Mike Hoffman
Arturri Lehkonen
Joel Edmundson
Jake Allen
Jeff Petry

I'm not saying they are worth it, but in the right market and the right play, it can happen.

100% agree. There is a solid chance at recouping 1st rounders with several assets and it applies to this deadline, draft day, off season, during the next season and the next trade deadline.

I would like the Habs to spread out our draft power with any futures we get. Don't put all our eggs in one draft year. If someone wants to give us a 2023 1st for Chiarot, take it. Don't think it will have to be that way with Chiarot and we should get a late 1st this next draft but we need to spread out the draft power. I'm a firm believer in that. Diversity

How many teams are selling and have assets like the Habs to sell? We will see about that and if we are one of the few that are selling and have solid assets to sell, it could be a very good situation for us.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Passing on Barzal 3 times, imagine that.

Yeah, in the following draft year when they took Pastrnak 25th the year prior. I think in many cases, players fall in your hands.

* Barzal with the Islanders.
* Guhle and Caufield with the Habs
* Pastrnak with the Bruins
* Hughes and Petterson with the Canucks
* Raymond with the Wings

So many cases. Lets say the Habs have the 5th pick in 2018. Coyotes probably take KK over Hayton and maybe in that case, we end up drafting Hughes?

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh

Tyler Toffoli
Mike Hoffman
Arturri Lehkonen
Joel Edmundson
Jake Allen
Jeff Petry

How realistic is it to be trading players under contract at the trade deadline though?

I haven't closely followed the pasts trade dead lines at all, as I am getting back into NHL hockey, but I remember 15 years ago it was exclusively players that were on their last contract year that were traded to contenders. Has this trend changed recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad