Speculation: Culture Change: What kind of team would you like the Canucks to be?

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The kind that they are changing it to now, though I am a bit concerned about the skill level.

palefire

Jun 3, 2005
I want players who are good at hockey and tend to contribute more towards the Canucks scoring goals than they do towards the Canucks allowing goals.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A strong-drafting team deep at every position.

Like what we see from St. Louis/LA/Chicago/TB/St. Louis. Good organizations who have the depth and flexibility to adjust and continue to compete from year to year.

As for play style, I don't even think they know. You have a coach talking about puck possession and a GM talking about 'meat and potatoes'.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
A strong-drafting team deep at every position.

Like what we see from St. Louis/LA/Chicago/TB/St. Louis. Good organizations who have the depth and flexibility to adjust and continue to compete from year to year.

As for play style, I don't even think they know. You have a coach talking about puck possession and a GM talking about 'meat and potatoes'.

I don't even know what 'meat and potatoes' means to be honest, seems like a such a broad descriptor that it's hard for me to read too much into it. I certainly don't think it's a rejection of skill as some others are interpreting it.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I think the way he means "meat and potatoes" is complete. That's the way they go together. You have your meat and your potatoes to makes a meal.

I like to poke fun like everyone else. Having a GM who makes everyone rage so much is pretty fun.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I don't even know what 'meat and potatoes' means to be honest, seems like a such a broad descriptor that it's hard for me to read too much into it. I certainly don't think it's a rejection of skill as some others are interpreting it.

I'm interpreting it to mean a north/south kind of player because that's generally the players he drafted. Certainly, the players he drafted didn't appear to be puck possession type players.

if Willie will be trying to implement a puck possession system, his draft selections seem a little odd.

groovygoodwine

May 8, 2013
I'm interpreting it to mean a north/south kind of player because that's generally the players he drafted. Certainly, the players he drafted didn't appear to be puck possession type players.

if Willie will be trying to implement a puck possession system, his draft selections seem a little odd.

Yeah regardless of "Bruins, Kings, Hawks, Wings" models, they have the puck a lot. Also to point out, while the Bruins and Kings may have big bodies, they also have some very very skilled players.

I'm not really a fan of drafting meat and potatoes if it means we pass on creative players.

How many people would you guys peg as creative playmakers on our current roster + prospects? Sedins... and?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah regardless of "Bruins, Kings, Hawks, Wings" models, they have the puck a lot. Also to point out, while the Bruins and Kings may have big bodies, they also have some very very skilled players.

I'm not really a fan of drafting meat and potatoes if it means we pass on creative players.

How many people would you guys peg as creative playmakers on our current roster + prospects? Sedins... and?

yeah, that's one of thing I did notice with the teams that you mentioned. they were very good at moving the puck despite some of them being big/physical players. Not sure how much of that was because of the system and how much was a product of their own skill level as players

groovygoodwine

May 8, 2013
yeah, that's one of thing I did notice with the teams that you mentioned. they were very good at moving the puck despite some of them being big/physical players. Not sure how much of that was because of the system and how much was a product of their own skill level as players

This is a good point, perhaps a bit of both I'd say. Carter and Kopitar are big bodies, they have some skill as seen through previous seasons and international competitions. Sutter's system seems to have given them an opportunity to use both of these abilities to their advantage.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
I don't really know how to explain it other than saying I want lots of really good players, and able to play different styles of hockey.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i want them to take on the character of the 1989 canucks-- the most pathetic group of weak-kneed losers i've seen in all my years of canuck fandom. dan quinn for vice-president in charge of hockey operations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad