Speculation: Culture Change: What kind of team would you like the Canucks to be?

goodgrimes

Apr 15, 2012
??? - ??? - Kassian

I would like to add some skill with Kassian on the line.

---------------------------------------

Higgins - Bonino - Jensen/Vey

I think this will be a good depth line. Higgins and Bonino have the points we need. We will see what Vey can do if he can't do much might as well have Jensen there.
You don't think Bonino should have a chance on the second line?

Last edited:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Why are we concerned about Oilers fans?

Personally, I'd prefer if we didn't become a gong show team...I don't mind having a tough team but I don't want a stupid team I'm embarrassed to watch.

Kassian, Downie or Dorsett aren't embarrassing to watch types IMO. They play guys hard, don't take crap and are unpredictable. That's the type of toughness I like to see on a team.

I'm around a ton of Oiler fans. The highlight of last season was Zack Kassian haunting their dreams. Would certainly welcome more of that.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Kassian, Downie or Dorsett aren't embarrassing to watch types IMO. They play guys hard, don't take crap and are unpredictable. That's the type of toughness I like to see on a team.

I'm around a ton of Oiler fans. The highlight of last season was Zack Kassian haunting their dreams. Would certainly welcome more of that.

They all have the potential to be embarrassing...Downie especially. I don't think we need a team with a bunch of loose cannons...I think the fact we already have Sestito, Kassian and now Dorsett is far more than enough meatheads on this team.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
They all have the potential to be embarrassing...Downie especially. I don't think we need a team with a bunch of loose cannons...I think the fact we already have Sestito, Kassian and now Dorsett is far more than enough meatheads on this team.

I'm hoping Dorsett spells the end of Sestito. Dorsett is actually a half decent player. Will be better than all the fighters before him - Rypien, Hordichuk, Sestito etc.

Downie is a loose cannon, but he's toned that side of his game down as he's gotten older. Wouldn't hesitate to add him to the bottom 6.

Would also look at Tootoo as the 13th forward. Not more than a 1 year deal though.

NucksOnly

Go Whitecaps & Lions
Sep 6, 2004
Vancouver
Just a solid team up and down the line up. I don't care if they lose a ton as long as they work their ***** off. I don't want new any new vets ie. Ignila, Erikson or Cammy. We have enough of those to mentor our kids. Play the younger guys, let them make mistakes and learn from them, we'll be better off in long run.

Suffer now, reap the rewards later... Suck now, get McDavid and/or Eichel in the future. A couple top 10 picks would be fabulous if we could pull that off.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I'm hoping Dorsett spells the end of Sestito. Dorsett is actually a half decent player. Will be better than all the fighters before him - Rypien, Hordichuk, Sestito etc.

Downie is a loose cannon, but he's toned that side of his game down as he's gotten older. Wouldn't hesitate to add him to the bottom 6.

Would also look at Tootoo as the 13th forward. Not more than a 1 year deal though.

Tootoo can't even play in the AHL. :shakehead:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Tootoo will get a shot at a 12-13th forward spot next season by some NHL team. If it's a cheap, 1 year deal it's worth the risk IMO. For no other reason than to keep other 4th line players hungry.

Seriously?

Tootoo was a healthy scratch for the Rapids at times.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
You don't think Bonino should have a chance on the second line?

I think both Bonino and Vey should get a chance with Kassian, though I question Vey and Bonino's abilities to anchor a second line. Vey almost seems like he's due for a breakout, though.

A team that is fair... honest... and believes in friendship.

A team that ticks all the boxes.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Just finishing gutting the team for whatever scraps we can scrounge up, write the UFA market off a bad joke full of overpriced geriatrics wanting long term deals and NTCs, and tank for a top 3 pick.

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
I want to see more youth in the line-up. Ages ago we tried the Red Wings style of keeping our prospects down for ages until we finally bring them up. It didn't really work out.

Pretty much every other team has their 1st rounds in their line up getting NHL experience. We should be doing the same, to a degree.

And aside from that, just a team that puts the all their effort in to try their best on a nightly basis. I think Desjardins will go a long way to achieving that. Win, lose or shootout I want to know that the players never mailed it in. Then I'm fine with however they perform.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
The team I want:
  • Overall - big, fast, skilled, deep and smart.
  • A team that constantly pressures the puck in all three zones.
  • A team with size and speed throughout the line up, not just one "heavy" or "speedy" line.
  • A possession oriented team that dictates the pace of play and controls zone time.
  • Deep, balanced scoring that can't be shut down by a marking a single player or by one key injury.
  • Strong down the centre - #1C, Top D pairing, Goal.

We had 90% of this in 2010-11, but multiple compounding injuries pretty much gutted the team by the SCF. You could argue that we didn't have a #1 Norris calibre defenseman, but Christian Ehrhoff, Alex Edler and Kevin Bieksa combined to fill that role.

We are a ways from that model now, so how to get back there?

My Plan:
  • Don't panic or blindly follow trends. LA, Chicago and Boston are not trends, they simply play a style that suits their personnel. We should do the same.
  • Maintain moderate expectations for 2014-15 season. Compete, but don't go all in with silly trades or UFA signings.
  • Work with Lack and Markstrom in goal this season. If they really struggle early on, we can trade or sign a veteran backup, but don't give up on them prematurely.
  • Absolutely do not commit term or NTC/NMC to free agents forwards over the age of 30. They will simply occupy roster spots and delay the development of our younger players.
  • Do not trade away ANY of our young forwards - Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, Jensen, Fox, Vey, etc. at this point, unless the return is young and stellar.
  • Add a veteran puck moving defender who can play top 4 minutes. Targets for July 1 include Christian Ehrhoff, Matt Niskanen, Andrej Meszaros, others? If they all want term or NTCs than hold off.
  • Acquire a future #1C in the next 2 years. Easier said than done. We are very deep with youth on the wings and have a number of 2-way centres. We can possibly trade some of these assets for a playmaking C, but before we do that, we have to develop them to maximize their value. It's also important to see what these guys have.
  • Draft skill - size is important, but as long as a player has "prototypical" NHL size, it's not a concern. For forwards "prototypical" means 5'10" to 6'4" and 175lb to 220lb. For defence, add an inch and 10lb.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Detroit hasn't won a cup since 2008.

Boston, LA, Chicago are the new normal.

The Detroit model is about fostering solid players to join the team when they've spent enough time developing in the minors or juniors, and not to rush them into the league. They also scout extremely well. That's the Detroit model, and it's a good one, despite the fact that they're in a transition themelves and may not win a championship for a some years still. When they do though, they'll be a threat for years because of what they carefully develop from within.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The team I want:
  • Overall - big, fast, skilled, deep and smart.
  • A team that constantly pressures the puck in all three zones.
  • A team with size and speed throughout the line up, not just one "heavy" or "speedy" line.
  • A possession oriented team that dictates the pace of play and controls zone time.
  • Deep, balanced scoring that can't be shut down by a marking a single player or by one key injury.
  • Strong down the centre - #1C, Top D pairing, Goal.

We had 90% of this in 2010-11, but multiple compounding injuries pretty much gutted the team by the SCF. You could argue that we didn't have a #1 Norris calibre defenseman, but Christian Ehrhoff, Alex Edler and Kevin Bieksa combined to fill that role.

We are a ways from that model now, so how to get back there?

My Plan:
  • Don't panic or blindly follow trends. LA, Chicago and Boston are not trends, they simply play a style that suits their personnel. We should do the same.
  • Maintain moderate expectations for 2014-15 season. Compete, but don't go all in with silly trades or UFA signings.
  • Work with Lack and Markstrom in goal this season. If they really struggle early on, we can trade or sign a veteran backup, but don't give up on them prematurely.
  • Absolutely do not commit term or NTC/NMC to free agents forwards over the age of 30. They will simply occupy roster spots and delay the development of our younger players.
  • Do not trade away ANY of our young forwards - Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, Jensen, Fox, Vey, etc. at this point, unless the return is young and stellar.
  • Add a veteran puck moving defender who can play top 4 minutes. Targets for July 1 include Christian Ehrhoff, Matt Niskanen, Andrej Meszaros, others? If they all want term or NTCs than hold off.
  • Acquire a future #1C in the next 2 years. Easier said than done. We are very deep with youth on the wings and have a number of 2-way centers. We can possibly trade some of these assets for a playmaking C, but before we do that, we have to develop them to maximize their value. It's also important to see what these guys have.
  • Draft skill - size is important, but as long as a player has "prototypical" NHL size, it's not a concern. For forwards "prototypical" means 5'10" to 6'4" and 175lb to 220lb. For defense, add an inch and 10lb.

Nice post

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
The team I want:

Agreed.

But I wouldn't mind a few splashes on the UFA market to keep us competitive. The biggest thing here is term. I don't want anything more than a 2 year contract for aging players or obviously NMC/NTCs. That'll mean the price goes up, but that's why we've cleared cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad