Speculation: Culture Change: What kind of team would you like the Canucks to be?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Having a serious discussion with a good friend, and colleague of mine.

After the draft is over, this is "His" Plan.

Draft Big two way players
Focus on players who are Canadian / American Only
Do a complete rebuild, Save Salary cap space until a big Free Agent crop.
Push hard for a top 3 pick next year.
Focus very strongly in prospect Development / Play Young kids (horvat/Gaunce/Shinkaruk)

After the draft is over, this is "MY" Plan.

Focus on a Balance of Skill and Size.
Don't just give up and assume a player with smaller stature does not deserve to be in the top 6.
Focus on Drafting the "Best Player Available" Nationality does not matter.
Do a Re-TOOL not a Rebuild. Focus on signing some big name free agents this year. Including Vanek/Moulson/Hiller/Vrbata
Focus on making the playoffs every year, but add new young players in the line up every year. But do not Rush Prospects.

As you can see we both have completely different views on what plan to take.

What is Your plan?

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Just have a plan, stick to it, and execute it. So far so good. Can't get any worse than last year anyway.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Your friend's plan would result in another management turnover, and probably by next year too. Is that what he wants? :naughty:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i want them to score the most goals possible, and allow the least goals possible

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Similar to what the Kings and Hawks have done:

-Draft well, and then sign core players to long term contracts at below market cap hits. Once you have an established and youthful core, bring in 1-2 experienced vets at good cap hits to supplement the core.

-Have atleast one franchise center that is complemented by an elite scoring winger, and/or an extremely good 2nd line center.

-Have a Franchise defenseman. If your goalie is not Top 3 in the league, your Franchise defenseman should be paired with another solid defenseman that is arguably a Top 3 pairing in the entire league.

Focus on good players, whether they are skilled, physical, fast, or whatever, and signing that at long term contracts at below market value. Don't get too obsessed with the idea of only bringing in big physical guys (which is one reason I have excluded "Boston" in teams I want to emulate).

Last edited:

Ventana*

Tank this year, be a cap floor team, get a top 3 pick, get McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin/Kylington/Barzal, Spend hard on Free Agents next offseason, and insert the ready youth into the lineup, drop the Sedins down a line/reduce their ice time, try to make it as a Wildcard team in 2015/2016 and get to at least the 2nd round somehow.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
A team that ignores the fan base.

Pretend they don't exist.

No more open practices, no more town halls. Suspend the message board on CDC.

Realize that the 40 years of mediocrity has nothing to do with the current regime. Realize that this team is past their prime and ignore this impatient fan base.

Build through the prospects and drafts and take your time building a perennial winner that plays like LA or Boston with speed, size, youth and physicality.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
A team that ignores the fan base.

Pretend they don't exist.

No more open practices, no more town halls. Suspend the message board on CDC.

Realize that the 40 years of mediocrity has nothing to do with the current regime. Realize that this team is past their prime and ignore this impatient fan base.

Build through the prospects and drafts and take your time building a perennial winner that plays like LA or Boston with speed, size, youth and physicality.

Realize that the past 40 years of inept ownership and management has nothing to do with fans or of all things a message board lol talk about delusions of grandeur

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I prefer a larger team that's hard to play against, but that doesn't mean I want a bunch of knuckle-draggers. Skill and hockey IQ obviously need to be emphasized, but there's just something about a physical imposing team that I tend to really like.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I still prefer the Detroit model, personally. It makes the game seem less stupid with the whole bigger=better thing.

Absolutely. Develop those that need developing in the AHL or Juniors, and develop those that are able to play at the NHL level with sheltered minutes and situations to give them the experience to take over the defensive/offensive duties that the Nucks will require of them for the long haul.

A hybrid model of the Boston model in terms of the players selected, and a Detroit model in terms of how the organization develops them.

Best plan by far, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad