Speculation: Culture Change: What kind of team would you like the Canucks to be?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
If you're gonna' lose, lose with toughness. Nothing more frustrating than being a fan of a team that sucks, while also getting bullied and pushed around. Won't be long until you're acting like an Oiler fan.

If they're going young and don't think they will compete, sign guys like Steve Downie right about now.

Wolves never lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Smashmouth-losing!

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
Absolutely. Develop those that need developing in the AHL or Juniors, and develop those that are able to play at the NHL level with sheltered minutes and situations to give them the experience to take over the defensive/offensive duties that the Nucks will require of them for the long haul.

A hybrid model of the Boston model in terms of the players selected, and a Detroit model in terms of how the organization develops them.

Best plan by far, imo.

Detroit hasn't won a cup since 2008.

Boston, LA, Chicago are the new normal.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
If you're gonna' lose, lose with toughness. Nothing more frustrating than being a fan of a team that sucks, while also getting bullied and pushed around. Won't be long until you're acting like an Oiler fan.

If they're going young and don't think they will compete, sign guys like Steve Downie right about now.

Wolves never lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Smashmouth-losing!

If you're going to spend so much time talking about how you want to lose, how about you spend that energy thinking about how we can win? :laugh:

Going around signing guys just because you're losing doesn't sound so smart to me.

Detroit hasn't won a cup since 2008.

Boston, LA, Chicago are the new normal.

What new normal? As far as I know, things have remained the same.

Who do you think Chiarelli named when talking about which organization Boston models themselves after? Detroit, that's who.

All this talk about following a model and its pretty much BS. What all those teams have is skilled players that were developed from within, who play as a team.

Now, that's a model that should be followed.

Just look at who Boston drafted in the first round this year. They didn't draft some big tough guy in the first round, they went for David Pastrnak, a slight, skilled Czech winger.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There is no LA, Boston or Detroit model.
Just get good players and lots of depth. Hang onto your draft picks, draft well and let the kids learn in the minors before throwing them in like the Oilers.

We can't compete with any of those teams but we took huge steps in our prospects the last two years. Probably need two more years of stocking up the pool.

As for the type of team I want . One with some grit that competes hard every night. If they play hard. I'll be satisfied. Start working a couple of young guys in every year and we could have a good team in a couple of years.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
A team that has some high-end offensive talent that can dangle/snipe so that we don't make every backup look like a vezina finalist. Even when this team was damn good, they had trouble scoring goals in the playoffs. No one that could truly snipe or beat someone one-on-one.

Whatever team can win games, but preferably a fast, highly skilled team.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
The Detroit Model was Lidstrom and having 2 insane picks in Zetterberg/Datsyuk. That's it. Lidstrom carried that team for decades.

realist99

May 3, 2010
There is no LA, Boston or Detroit model.
Just get good players and lots of depth. Hang onto your draft picks, draft well and let the kids learn in the minors before throwing them in like the Oilers.

We can't compete with any of those teams but we took huge steps in our prospects the last two years. Probably need two more years of stocking up the pool.

As for the type of team I want . One with some grit that competes hard every night. If they play hard. I'll be satisfied. Start working a couple of young guys in every year and we could have a good team in a couple of years.

100% truth. I loved it when the Vancouver media interviewed Benning for the first time and asked him about the "Boston Way". His response? What is the Boston Way?

In all sports, but especially in a salary cap system you only win by drafting well and developing your players. Having patience and staying the course. Seriously it is not rocket science.

dps

Nov 30, 2011
Defensively responsible and quick transition offense. I want skill spread throughout the line up in its various forms as we don't have any game breakers to load up a single line (unless the sedins bounce back in a big way). Most importantly I want the players on this team to play for each other, night in and night out, through hard work, determination, playing whistle to whistle, and disciplined play.

I for one am glad Benning isn't ***** footing around the issue and is dropping the dead weight so as to keep this emphasis on a fresh start. If you don't wanna be here, or you don't think you need to work as hard as your teammates then gtfo. He mentioned having a strong team culture in Boston and I'm glad he's working on bringing it here. Far to often recently players would check out mentally for games at a time. im sick of it and I'm sure most of you are too. Enough is enough.

kootenayfan

Sep 3, 2005
Southeastern BC
Defensively responsible and quick transition offense. I want skill spread throughout the line up in its various forms as we don't have any game breakers to load up a single line (unless the sedins bounce back in a big way). Most importantly I want the players on this team to play for each other, night in and night out, through hard work, determination, playing whistle to whistle, and disciplined play.

I for one am glad Benning isn't ***** footing around the issue and is dropping the dead weight so as to keep this emphasis on a fresh start. If you don't wanna be here, or you don't think you need to work as hard as your teammates then gtfo. He mentioned having a strong team culture in Boston and I'm glad he's working on bringing it here. Far to often recently players would check out mentally for games at a time. im sick of it and I'm sure most of you are too. Enough is enough.

Welcome to the boards Willie D :) But all kidding aside, i agree 100%.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
A team that on most nights puts a black piece of rubber back of the opposing net more times than the opposition.

A team that isn't afraid to stand up for themselves but doesn't let themselves get carried away.

A team that supports one another and goes all in with their team.

A team who buys into their system and shows heart and compete night in, night out.

Finally, a team who is concerned about the Cup and not about how many people are on the stands or how many of their numbers are from the BC area or any of the other peripherals.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
since benning emphasizes on the word "heavy alot during his interview" being able to compete with the la kings, anahiem ducks of the world. i think his drafting was okay. just restock the prospect pool by drafting better. thats how chicago/la has going for them. kids ON ELC contracts for cheap and contributing. rolling 4 lines. him drafting "big guys" like that 7 foot giant russian dman. once vancouver restocks its prospect pool and see if any of shinkaruk/horvat/jensen are ready to step in and take over the aging "twins" the nucks could be an exciting team to watch in 3-4 years.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Plan:
Transitional year - get youth into the line-up at least part time.
Focus on learning a defensive, high energy, four line system.
Stay in the playoff race as long as possible.
Trade some more vets at the deadline giving youth more opportunity. Get another first rounder for next draft.
Keep all the draft picks.
Save it for McDavid

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I think Benning is making this team a heavy team that has size, skill and grit. But we have to have a little skill at least. I would like some skill on our second line this season. Start with Cammalleri or Moulson on the LW or get a center and play a rookie. Our bottom six looks pretty nice so I am happy with the way Benning is going. I think he is gonna bring some skill in through free agency.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Our first line is our first line hopefully they can bounce back after Torts

??? - ??? - Kassian

I would like to add some skill with Kassian on the line.

---------------------------------------

Higgins - Bonino - Jensen/Vey

I think this will be a good depth line. Higgins and Bonino have the points we need. We will see what Vey can do if he can't do much might as well have Jensen there.

--------------------------------------------

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Matthias has some size and hopefully and I think he can get some points in with Richardson. Richardson is a good Pk'r and can get us some shorties and 4th line points. Dorsett had a good run in the playoffs with the Rangers so he is a good addition to the team.

Overall if we add skill to our 2nd line and run Higgins - Bonino - Jensen/Vey I think we got a good shot at the playoffs. Also we get younger.

I think Benning is going to assess what he has taken out and put in and then see what he can do at the deadline to make the team better. Anyways I am happy with the bottom six.

Last edited:

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
A team that has some high-end offensive talent that can dangle/snipe so that we don't make every backup look like a vezina finalist. Even when this team was damn good, they had trouble scoring goals in the playoffs. No one that could truly snipe or beat someone one-on-one.

Whatever team can win games, but preferably a fast, highly skilled team.

To be fair to us, the goalie that had a shutout in his first game against us also got a shutout in his first ever playoff game.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
If you're going to spend so much time talking about how you want to lose, how about you spend that energy thinking about how we can win? :laugh:

I would love to. Unfortunately the weed out here in Calgary isn't as good as what you guys get on the coast.

Win or lose, I would like to see Downie on the 3rd line RW. Might get him relatively cheap, and if he stays healthy, you've got a valuable asset that will add some skill and grit to the lineup.

Best of all, instead of focusing on Kassisn's classlessness, Oiler fans would have to also put up with Downie and Dorsett too. That's worth 3 years, $3mil a year from where I sit.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I would love to. Unfortunately the weed out here in Calgary isn't as good as what you guys get on the coast.

Win or lose, I would like to see Downie on the 3rd line RW. Might get him relatively cheap, and if he stays healthy, you've got a valuable asset that will add some skill and grit to the lineup.

Best of all, instead of focusing on Kassisn's classlessness, Oiler fans would have to also put up with Downie and Dorsett too. That's worth 3 years, $3mil a year from where I sit.

Why are we concerned about Oilers fans?

Personally, I'd prefer if we didn't become a gong show team...I don't mind having a tough team but I don't want a stupid team I'm embarrassed to watch.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Put together a team that really doesn't have a chance, but generates the most possible income for Aquaman?

As others have said, I think there are enough changes here we need 20 games to see what this team has. There are 30 guys fighting for 23 spots, and about 15 of them already have a spot .... let see if the prospects show anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad