CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you ...

John Wayne Gretzky

Dec 14, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Since 90% of this thread is just arguing over trivial ********, I don't feel like sifting through it to get an answer. Will DTV or any other Sat. provider have CSN in time for the coming Flyers season? The loft I live in is technically considered a commercial building so Comcast isn't an option unless I am willing to fork out a ton of money like a sports bar would have to.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
in that they are all sold by BMW, yes .... in case you didn't know:
BMW won't deny a BMW owner who is also a Ford owner the ability to buy another BMW, while permitting a BMW owner who is also a Chevy owner the ability to buy another BMW.

DirecTV is a Satellite TV Service
Comcast is a Cable TV Service

you think i'm the only Comcast Cable customer who also gets NFL Sunday Ticket on DTV ?? and therefore is a customer of both companies ??

seriously ??

is it REALLY that hard to fathom that a consumer could be a customer of both TV providers ??

there are probably hundreds of thousands of the 2 MILLION DTV NFL Sunday ticket subscribers who are also Comcast Customers nationwide.

those who are Sharks fans, get access to CSN Bay Area through DTV [since comcast wont give access themselves on cable]

those who are Flyers fans, cannot get access to CSN Philly through DTV [even though comcast wont give access themselves on cable]

clearly Comcast will not allow all of their customers access to their favorite team's CSN

how you can deny that is beyond me.

regardless of whether you see it my way, the FCC is removing this loophole by which Comcast keeps CSN Philly off the Dishes, and that's all i really care about [even though it wont affect me a bit, just good to see Comcast cant get away with this any longer]

Comcast's role is not to worry about who's a fan of which team. Their role is to provide programming for which they fairly bid on in a regional basis.

Why do you not care that Comcast does not provide more than just regional coverage to Comcast-only customers on their own systems? I have a friend in the DC area. His apartment complex is surrounded by trees, blocking the possibility of satellite service. Why don't you care about him, Bernie?

And I don't deny that there are individual households out there that purchase dual services. I do absolutely deny that they are in anything other than a significant minority. In case you're unaware of the world going on outside your little bubble, the current rate of actual unemployment (which includes people whose benefits have run out, etc.) is something in the range of 20-25%. We're in the worst financial climate since the Great Depression. I simply don't believe very many people are paying multiple tv service bills.

CantSeeColors

Mar 8, 2007
Comcast prevents Flyers fans nationwide from getting CSN Philly, while allowing Sharks fans nationwide to get CSN Bay Area.

Let's get one thing straight. Comcast doesn't allow Sharks fans to get anything. Comcast is forced to provide something to Sharks fans. If it were up to them, none of these people would be allowed to watch Comcast channels on dishes.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Will DTV or any other Sat. provider have CSN in time for the coming Flyers season?

hopefully, but there's nothing definite, really depends on if Comcast can drag this out longer, obviously they are stalling as much as they can.

pretty ironic that they OWN the Flyers, and they are preventing fans of that team from watching CSN Philly ...... what a joke.

do you currently have DTV ? what about Center Ice NHL pkg ?

if so, i can tell you how to get every Flyers game on the dish [regardless of how long Comcast tries to screw you out of getting CSN Philly];)

Let's get one thing straight. Comcast doesn't allow Sharks fans to get anything. Comcast is forced to provide something to Sharks fans. If it were up to them, none of these people would be allowed to watch Comcast channels on dishes.

EXACTLY. and soon they'll be forced to let Flyers fans nationwide do the same

John Wayne Gretzky

Dec 14, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Since 90% of this thread is just arguing over trivial ********, I don't feel like sifting through it to get an answer. Will DTV or any other Sat. provider have CSN in time for the coming Flyers season? The loft I live in is technically considered a commercial building so Comcast isn't an option unless I am willing to fork out a ton of money like a sports bar would have to.

Can someone answer my question?

John Wayne Gretzky

Dec 14, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
hopefully, but there's nothing definite, really depends on if Comcast can drag this out longer, obviously they are stalling as much as they can.

pretty ironic that they OWN the Flyers, and they are preventing fans of that team from watching CSN Philly ...... what a joke.

if so, i can tell you how to get every Flyers game on the dish [regardless of how long Comcast tries to screw you out of getting CSN Philly];)

Thank you sir, now I'd like to know more about this winky face section lol. I live in Philly and the only thing I can get is DTV, had it shut off, still have all the hook ups, just waiting for an announcement on CSN.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st

Customers in San Jose who only pay for Comcast will not be able to get CSN-Philadelphia.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
you can get DTV, and NHL package.

a few weeks later, unplug your DTV reciever for a day & tell them you 'moved' to another area of the country. you'll need to come up with an address [that will be your 'service location'] and tell them not to send bills anymore, since you have signed up for online bill payments / account mgt

that 'city' will be your 'home market' [ie: NOT Philly market]

then, the Flyers won't be blacked out on the NHL package. Ever.

then, when CSN Philly goes 'live' on DTV, you can 'move' back into Philly.

the only drawback for you is if you don't get local channels over the air

the most logical area to pick is the NY City area, as then you'll get more regional channels included in your DTV subscription:

MSG / MSG +
YES
SNY [Comcast Sportsnet of NY]

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
you can get DTV, and NHL package.

a few weeks later, unplug your DTV reciever for a day & tell them you 'moved' to another area of the country. you'll need to come up with an address [that will be your 'service location'] and tell them not to send bills anymore, since you have signed up for online bill payments / account mgt

that 'city' will be your 'home market' [ie: NOT Philly market]

then, the Flyers won't be blacked out on the NHL package. Ever.

then, when CSN Philly goes 'live' on DTV, you can 'move' back into Philly.

the only drawback for you is if you don't get local channels over the air

the most logical area to pick is the NY City area, as then you'll get more regional channels included in your DTV subscription:

MSG / MSG +
YES
SNY [Comcast Sportsnet of NY

Again, this is fraud, and you are technically subject to a significant fine, and possibly jail time.

But (as is typical with your line of debating), you completely ignored my previous post. What if you live in an area that does not have line of sight to a satellite? This is a very common occurrance in apartment complexes.

And guess what? Not everyone can afford to lay down the $150 (or whatever it will cost next season) that the Center Ice package costs.

So I say again. People in San Jose who pay only for Comcast will not receive CSN-Philadelphia.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you ... is the crux of the matter, i am

Bernie, despite what you think, nobody here is disputing the fact that there was a loophole, and that said loophole is closing / closed.

What we have been disputing this whole time is your claim that Comcast customers are being screwed by Comcast.

Comcast customers in San Jose who pay only for Comcast will not be receiving CSN-Philadelphia.

Comcast customers in Chicago who pay only for Comcast will not be receiving CSN-Philadelphia.

Comcast customers in New England who pay only for Comcast will not be receiving CSN-Philadelphia.

Comcast customers in Washington, D.C. who pay only for Comcast will not be receiving CSN-Philadelphia.

and you are technically subject to here me say 'Loophole, THIS, Comca$t'

:handclap:

What a marvelous retort, absolutely steeped in jurisprudence.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
all of that is irrelevant, as this thread is about Comcast preventing Flyers fans nationwide from having access to their favorite teams CSN [Philly] via the DISH. many of those fans are also Comcast customers.

dispute the above all you want, but they are facts.

make unfounded claims about the actual number of consumers this actually affects, or how many of them are, indeed, both DISH and Comcast customers, but that's all you can do: make unfounded claims.

the simple fact is that Comcast does, indeed, use this loophole on everybody in the country that has a DISH. That group also includes customers of Comcast, itself.

/debate.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
all of that is irrelevant, as this thread is about Comcast preventing Flyers fans nationwide from having access to their favorite teams CSN [Philly] via the DISH. many of those fans are also Comcast customers.

dispute the above all you want, but they are facts.

make unfounded claims about the actual number of consumers this actually affects, or how many of them are, indeed, both DISH and Comcast customers, but that's all you can do: make unfounded claims.

the simple fact is that Comcast does, indeed, use this loophole on everybody in the country that has a DISH. That group also includes customers of Comcast, itself.

/debate.

What of my claims are unfounded?

Can customers in San Jose who only receive Comcast get CSN-Philly without breaking any laws?

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
what do 'Comcast Only' customers have to do with this thread ?

nothing.

the simple fact is that Comcast does, indeed, use this now closing, thankfully, loophole on everybody in the country that has a DISH. That group also includes customers of Comcast, itself.

the thread subject is "CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you" .... and that CLEARLY has ZERO to do with 'Comcast Only' customers.

it DOES, however, concern consumers who are customers of both DISH and Comcast.

so, start a new thread about 'Comcast Only' customers if you like. I'm not concerned about them, nor will I waste any of my time on considering or answering you unrelated questions.

you're just trying to cloud this clear issue, like jest, by making silly comparisons, instead of just dealing with / accepting the cold hard fact that Comcast does use this loophole on EVERYBODY in the country. and some of those people ARE Comcast customers.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Hey.. I just came in to say I'm happy I may finally get to see my Flyers (In New York) on their home network CSN Philly on Directv.

Also, I have never been so confused before as I am now after reading this thread. I'm still trying to understand what (other) point Bernie is trying to make other than the loophole fiasco that has finally been resolved.

Just what are you trying to say? Comcast does not care if you are a Directv sub - so why are you angry at them for not providing a channel to it's largest competitor?

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
what do 'Comcast Only' customers have to do with this thread ?

nothing.

the simple fact is that Comcast does, indeed, use this now closing, thankfully, loophole on everybody in the country that has a DISH. That group also includes customers of Comcast, itself.

the thread subject is "CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you" .... and that CLEARLY has ZERO to do with 'Comcast Only' customers.

it DOES, however, concern consumers who are customers of both DISH and Comcast.

so, start a new thread about 'Comcast Only' customers if you like. I'm not concerned about them, nor will I waste any of my time on considering or answering you unrelated questions.

you're just trying to cloud this clear issue, like jest, by making silly comparisons, instead of just dealing with / accepting the cold hard fact that Comcast does use this loophole on EVERYBODY in the country. and some of those people ARE Comcast customers.

That's cool. You're just proving that you believe Comcast should treat you special because you're a DirecTV consumer.

Here's what's been happening over the past year. You've come in here three or four times to proclaim some sort of victory over Comcast with these FCC rulings - none of which neither Jester nor I nor anyone else has disputed. You then go into claims of Comcast screwing its own customers, and every single time someone sets you right through example, you go an claim that we're "clouding the issue" or that "it has nothing to do with what we're talking about" when it absolutely does, because you simply don't like the fact that those examples are completely relevant. All the while you have on several occasions claimed people made statements that they did not make (i.e. you incorrectly claimed a few times in this thread that Jester disputed that people can be customers of two services).

Here's how the world works. Someone makes a claim - be it that there are "many people" who are customers of a satellite service as well as a cable service - or that Company X is screwing customers of Company X. The burden of proof is on the person who makes the claim. But I'm a glutton for punishment, so here I go against my better judgement:

FACT: You've made the claim that Comcast treats its own customers unequally.
FACT: DirecTV customers can currently get all CSN's except CSN-P through DirecTV.
FACT: Comcast customers can get only their regional CSN through Comcast.
FACT: Some people choose to pay for Comcast and DirecTV whereby they can receive all CSN's (except CSN-P) through DirecTV.
FACT: Comcast does not deliver satellite TV service.
FACT: Your DirecTV service and your Comcast service are independent of each other.
FACT: If tomorrow you stopped receiving your Comcast service, it would not change a single thing on your DirecTV service.

CONCLUSION: The fact that you are a Comcast customer has no bearing on what you receive thru DirecTV. Your claim must look at every Comcast customer, not just those who receive satellite service as well. Every Comcast customer is treated the same - they can receive their regional CSN on their Comcast system. Period. What you can receive thru DirecTV has to do with your status as a DirecTV customer - not as a Comcast customer. If you claim that DirecTV/Comcast customers are screwed by Comcast, then you need to explain why Comcast-only customers are NOT being treated unfairly.

You make the claim that Comcast screws its own customers for not providing CSN-P through DirecTV and then say that the fact that Comcast-only customers can't get CSN-P out-of-market is irrelevant. Have you ever wondered why nobody agrees with you?

And I know you're not going to, but I'm going to ask anyway. I'd like to know your opinion on what percentage of households (do not include bars / restauarants) subscribe to terrestrial-based AND satellite-based television service. I just want to know. Curiousity.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Hey.. I just came in to say I'm happy I may finally get to see my Flyers (In New York) on their home network CSN Philly on Directv.

Also, I have never been so confused before as I am now after reading this thread. I'm still trying to understand what (other) point Bernie is trying to make other than the loophole fiasco that has finally been resolved.

Just what are you trying to say? Comcast does not care if you are a Directv sub - so why are you angry at them for not providing a channel to it's largest competitor?

i'm not angry. Jest had previously claimed that a consumer who pays BOTH DTV and Comcast for TV services is not a Comcast customer:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=33964813&postcount=36

i have proven that to be incorrect. and by doing so, proven that Comcast has been using this loophole on some of it's own customers. Jest claimed that they were not doing that.

i'm not sure what point dave is trying to make, as he's talking about 'Comcast Only' customers ..... they don't have a DISH, and that means they have nothing to do with CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad