CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you ...

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Of course, satellite companies will have to agree to a fair market price before it appears on any satellite system. That's a point that seems to get missed by our resident Comcast hater.
since Satellite companies and Comcast already have done that for CSN Chicago, CSN Bay Area, SNY [NY Comcast], CSN New England, CSN Northwest, CSN Washington, CSN California and CSN Baltimore, i don't think it will be an issue - nor do i think the FCC will allow Comcast to try and jack up the cost of CSN Philly

Bernie, your obsession with this issue hasn't gotten any less entertaining...

Jest, i'm not nearly as entertaining as your obsession with insisting that a consumer who is a customer of Comcast cannot also be a customer of a Satellite Company :laugh:

Can someone provide clarification for this. I have the sports pack on Directv right now and get NHL, MLB, and NBA games on regional sports network from markets all over the country, the games are not blacked out.

So if CSN Philly is added and I continue to buy the sports pack, why would games aired on CSN Philly be blacked out?

Like I said I need clarification on all of this please.

what city / market do you live in ?
do you pay for NHL Center Ice ?

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
I live near Harrisburg. I have directv, CSN Washington is considered my "home sports channel" and yes I do pay for NHL center ice.
that's why in addition to getting the CSN and Fox and Root regional sports channels with the 'Sports Pack', you also get the games on those channels.

if you cancel NHL center ice, you'd still get those sports channels, but the games themselves will be blacked out.

what this ruling means to you is that CSN Philly will be added to the sports pack, and the Flyers broadcast feed will available for Flyers games

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
since Satellite companies and Comcast already have done that for CSN Chicago, CSN Bay Area, SNY [NY Comcast], CSN New England, CSN Northwest, CSN Washington, CSN California and CSN Baltimore, i don't think it will be an issue - nor do i think the FCC will allow Comcast to try and jack up the cost of CSN Philly

These are all different products with different values. CSN New England is NOT the same thing as CSN Philly.

Jest, i'm not nearly as entertaining as your obsession with insisting that a consumer who is a customer of Comcast cannot also be a customer of a Satellite Company :laugh:

No, Bernie, what is entertaining is your belief that the scenario you just outlined has any bearing whatsoever on this situation. It is, literally, the dumbest thing I've read on this site and that's something to be proud of.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
It will be interesting what Directv defines as the Philly market. I live in NEPA. Danville. We're considered the NY Market for baseball, Mets and Yanks. I think Pittsburgh for hockey. Only game you get if you don't have Centre Ice is the Pens. We don't get any basketball(no biggie). I hope they change us to the Philly market. Because, I'm a Sox/Bruins fan. NESN is blacked out when we play the Yankees. Have to put up with Michael Kay. Only blacked out for Pens in Hockey. Not sure where Harrisburg would fall in the equation. I think Directv has this hodge podge of what's local because they didn't have CSN Philly. Once they get it, things could change. If you're a Flyers/Phillies/Sixers fan you want Directv to name Philly your local market. You wouldn't have to pay extra for CSN Philly. It's your regional sports channel. Curious what games you get living Harrisburg Fulton. For example, you don't get any games like Bruins/Rangers/Red Wings do you?

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Why is it ONLY Flyers/Phillies feeds out of everybody else in MLB/NHL were never shown?

I mean, Caps/Hawks have CSN, as do Sharks, and I get their feeds...

CSN Philly is built off of the old PRISM network, which ran on land lines as opposed to a satellite feed. This meant that it was grandfathered (rightly or wrongly) into the current system and Comcast was not forced to make a satellite feed available previously.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
These are all different products with different values.

according to who ? you ? that is the dumbest thing I've ever read here, Jest. you topped yourself, after having previously claimed that it was not possible to be a Comcast customer and a DirecTV customer at the same time - something proven to be 100% incorrect.

nobody here claimed that each Comcast RSN has 'the same value', not that we'll ever know if that is true or not, but it is indisputable that they are all Comcast Regional Sports Channels, and all appear on Satellite. DTV has already negotiated w/ Comcast on what 'a fair price' is on all of those channels .... there is no reason to suspect that either Comcast will try to charge an outrageously high fee for CSN Philly, or that the FCC will let them get away with it if they try to.

i think that the precedents set with every other Comcast RSN has a lot more to do with the situation than your unproven claim as to the value of any given Comcast RSN. but you are entitled to your beliefs.

there will be no way to tell on what basis the FCC judges 'a fair price' - you can have your theory, and I'll have mine .......

either way, CSN Philly is coming to the Dish .... and finally Flyers fans nationwide will be able to get CSN Philly on the Dish ....... getting their favorite team's home channel on the Dish .. something Sharks fan, Caps fans, Black Hawks fans etc etc have been able to do for years ..... equality -- finally for the Flyers fans !!

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
It will be interesting what Directv defines as the Philly market. I live in NEPA. Danville. We're considered the NY Market for baseball, Mets and Yanks. I think Pittsburgh for hockey. Only game you get if you don't have Centre Ice is the Pens. We don't get any basketball(no biggie). I hope they change us to the Philly market. Because, I'm a Sox/Bruins fan. NESN is blacked out when we play the Yankees. Have to put up with Michael Kay. Only blacked out for Pens in Hockey. Not sure where Harrisburg would fall in the equation. I think Directv has this hodge podge of what's local because they didn't have CSN Philly. Once they get it, things could change. If you're a Flyers/Phillies/Sixers fan you want Directv to name Philly your local market. You wouldn't have to pay extra for CSN Philly. It's your regional sports channel. Curious what games you get living Harrisburg Fulton. For example, you don't get any games like Bruins/Rangers/Red Wings do you?

i don't think DTV [or any provider] defines a given 'market'

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
according to who ? you ? that is the dumbest thing I've ever read here, Jest. you topped yourself, after having previously claimed that it was not possible to be a Comcast customer and a DirecTV customer at the same time - something proven to be 100% incorrect.

nobody here claimed that each Comcast RSN has 'the same value', not that we'll ever know if that is true or not, but it is indisputable that they are all Comcast Regional Sports Channels, and all appear on Satellite. DTV has already negotiated w/ Comcast on what 'a fair price' is on all of those channels .... there is no reason to suspect that either Comcast will try to charge an outrageously high fee for CSN Philly, or that the FCC will let them get away with it if they try to.

i think that the precedents set with every other Comcast RSN has a lot more to do with the situation than your unproven claim as to the value of any given Comcast RSN. but you are entitled to your beliefs.

there will be no way to tell on what basis the FCC judges 'a fair price' - you can have your theory, and I'll have mine .......

either way, CSN Philly is coming to the Dish .... and finally Flyers fans nationwide will be able to get CSN Philly on the Dish ....... getting their favorite team's home channel on the Dish .. something Sharks fan, Caps fans, Black Hawks fans etc etc have been able to do for years ..... equality -- finally for the Flyers fans !!

Bernie, honestly, you need to stop huffing glue.

CSN New England broadcasts: The Boston Celtics, Connecticut Sun (WNBA), New England Revolution (MLS), Boston Breakers & WPS, and Boston Cannons (MLL)

That's it.

You honestly think CSN New England has the same value as a station that has broadcasting rights for the Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies (on top of all the other regional sports they show)?

No, Bernie, they are not the same product and not worth the same amount. CSN Philly is immensely more valuable. The comparable network in Boston is not CSN New England, but NESN... which shows the Red Sox and Bruins.

Lets pull this out:

you topped yourself, after having previously claimed that it was not possible to be a Comcast customer and a DirecTV customer at the same time - something proven to be 100% incorrect.

I never said that, Bernie. Not once. What I did say was that your belief that Comcast had some obligation to give a flying **** about what someone got on their DirecTV service is an argument on par with the intellectual capacity of a pile of horse manure.

And, no, my argument has not been proven 100% incorrect, which further proves the value of lessons we all should have learned as children concerning the dangers of huffing. You will not find one argument where anyone suggests that Comcast should care about DirecTV service. Not one. What you will find are arguments concerning what the legal definition of fair market practice are in the United States. A distinction that, I admit, is almost certainly way out of your league.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
You honestly think CSN New England has the same value as a station that has broadcasting rights for the Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies (on top of all the other regional sports they show)?

Jest, step away from the crack pipe. now.
you are claiming that you A: know the 'value' of the regional CSNs B: that the 'values' have anything to do with the FCC ruling being upheld.

The price of CSN Philly might just as easily be determined by averaging out the costs of all of the other CSNs -- nobody knows, and, quite frankly, i don't care how 'a fair price' is determined ....... I'm sure the FCC will not let Comcast get away with trying to charge an overly inflated price, thereby preventing DTV from getting CSN Philly.

And, no, my argument has not been proven 100% incorrect

your claim that a 'Comcast Customer' can't also be a DirecTV Customer is, indeed, 100% false --- since I'm one of them;)

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Someone with satellite service is not a Comcast customer! They are a DirecTV or whatever customer.

I have DirecTV. I have Comcast Cable. there are many of us nationwide. I get TV on both. Locals on Comcast. Everything else [including Flyers games] on DTV.

we are, indeed, customers of BOTH.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
I have DirecTV. I have Comcast Cable. there are many of us nationwide. I get TV on both. Locals on Comcast. Everything else [including Flyers games] on DTV.

we are, indeed, customers of BOTH.

And those are two distinct services. I can hire two companies to pick up my garbage, doesn't mean their services are in any way related.

Seriously. Glue.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Jest, step away from the crack pipe. now.
you are claiming that you A: know the 'value' of the regional CSNs B: that the 'values' have anything to do with the FCC ruling being upheld.

The price of CSN Philly might just as easily be determined by averaging out the costs of all of the other CSNs -- nobody knows, and, quite frankly, i don't care how 'a fair price' is determined ....... I'm sure the FCC will not let Comcast get away with trying to charge an overly inflated price, thereby preventing DTV from getting CSN Philly.

your claim that a 'Comcast Customer' can't also be a DirecTV Customer is, indeed, 100% false --- since I'm one of them;)

Right, you don't care. Over your head... And all that really animates you is your ignorance and dislike for Comcast.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
And those are two distinct services. I can hire two companies to pick up my garbage, doesn't mean their services are in any way related.

Seriously. Glue.

'related' ??? .... your claim was never about services being 'related' ... we are not blind here, Jest

you wrote, quite clearly, as to whether or not someone could be a customer of both

Someone with satellite service is not a Comcast customer! They are a DirecTV or whatever customer.

that's like saying "Someone with Garbage Company X service who also has Garbage Company Y service is not a Garbage Company X customer! They are a Garbage Company Y or whatever customer."

and equally absurd, and 100% factually wrong.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
And all that really animates you is your ignorance and dislike for Comcast.

the only thing animated here, is your instance on inventing things ['channel values', and them having some bearing on this situation -- and the notion that a consumer cannot be a TV customer of both Comcast and DTV]

your dislike for this ruling is making you hallucinate

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
'related' ??? .... your claim was never about services being 'related' ... we are not blind here, Jest

you wrote, quite clearly, as to whether or not someone could be a customer of both

that's like saying "Someone with Garbage Company X service who also has Garbage Company Y service is not a Garbage Company X customer! They are a Garbage Company Y or whatever customer."

and equally absurd, and 100% factually wrong.

How have you still not gotten the point after all this time? The point is that while someone CAN be a customer of Garbage company X and Y at the same time, whatever relationship exists between the customer and Garbage Company X has no bearing on the relationship between the customer and Garbage Company Y and vice versa. Also, there are incredibly few people who are customers of both Garbage Companies.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
How have you still not gotten the point after all this time?

nobody is 'missing the point' .... if anything, you don't understand what Jest's claim actually was.

Jest claimed that if you got TV through DirecTV, [even though you also get TV through Comcast] you ceased being a customer of Comcast, and that was the argument he used to try and counter my statement that Comcast does not treat all of it's customers equally:

a Sharks fan [living in texas, for example] who has DTV and Comcast can get CSN Bay Area on Satellite, and watch his home team area CSN on Satellite, while a Flyers fan [living in texas, for example] who has DTV and Comcast cannot get CSN Philly on Satellite, and can't watch his home team area CSN on Satellite.

that is factually correct, and is not open for debate.

why can't the Flyers fan get CSN Philly on Satellite? Because Comcast uses the loophole to keep CSN Philly off the dish.

one fan gets his home team's area CSN on Satellite, the other does not. indisputable.

Comcast is the company who determines this. they are treating 2 of their customers in 2 different manners. indisputable.

they are both Comcast customers. indisputable. regardless of Jest's claim otherwise

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
no, Jest, what everyone else knows is that Comcast is not treating all of their customers equally. indisputable.

they use the loophole to get away with it. that's the whole point of the FCC closing the loophole.

everyone knows this. everyone.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
no, Jest, what everyone else knows is that Comcast is not treating all of their customers equally. indisputable.

they use the loophole to get away with it. that's the whole point of the FCC closing the loophole.

everyone knows this. everyone.

No, Bernie, they are screwing DirecTV customers. The fact that you purchase Comcast service as well is completely irrelevant to them. Just like the fact that you pay two garbage companies is irrelevant to each of em as far as what they do.

Your argument is horse manure.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Jest, they are screwing DTV, Dish and customers of many other providers -- may of which are ALSO Comcast customers.

which means they are not treating all of their customers equally.

Oy. First of all, "many of which are Comcast customers" is a patently false statement. Practically nobody outside of bar owners and you have more than one cable service.

Secondly, we've been through this time and time and time again.

Comcast customers in Philadelphia can get CSN-P
DTV customers in Philadelphia cannot get CSN-P
Customers with both services in Philadelphia can get CSN-P.
Therefore, all Comcast customers in Philadelphia are treated equally.

Comcast customers in Chicago cannot get CSN-P
DTV customers in Chicago cannot get CSN-P
Customers with both services in Chicago cannot get CSN-P.
Therefore, all Comcast customers in Chicago are treated equally.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
And there it is. Dumbest statement on this board. Again.

no, Jest, the dumbest thing on this board is the way you [and dave now, too] are coming up with ways to try and prove that Comcast Customers Nationwide who happen to be Sharks fans [and who can get their home teams local CSN on another provider] are being treated the same as Comcast Customers Nationwide who happen to be Flyers fans [and who cannot get their home teams local CSN on another provider]

Oy. First of all, "many of which are Comcast customers" is a patently false statement. Practically nobody outside of bar owners and you have more than one cable service.

Secondly, we've been through this time and time and time again.

Comcast customers in Philadelphia can get CSN-P
DTV customers in Philadelphia cannot get CSN-P
Customers with both services in Philadelphia can get CSN-P.
Therefore, all Comcast customers in Philadelphia are treated equally.

Comcast customers in Chicago cannot get CSN-P
DTV customers in Chicago cannot get CSN-P
Customers with both services in Chicago cannot get CSN-P.
Therefore, all Comcast customers in Chicago are treated equally.

nope.

Sharks fans who are Comcast customers in Chicago can get CSN Bay Area via other providers
Flyers fans who are Comcast customers in Chicago cannot get CSN Philly via other providers

one group of Comcast customers cab get their home team's area CSN, the other group cannot

i don't see you producing any numbers to disprove my claim.

regardless, you two, if u want to pretend Comcast treats every one of their customers equally, go ahead.

the FCC disagreed, and has now closed the loophole by which comcast has gotten away with it since the '90s

Comcast will now be forced to treat us all equally, regardless of which team we root for - we'll ALL get access to our home team's CSN:handclap:

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
The FCC ruling has absolutely nothing to do with disagreeing with our point. The FCC ruling concerns competition between independent companies, who have zero responsibility to each other's customers.

Seriously, Bernie, your actual complaint about Comcast is beyond dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad