Post-Game Talk: Crow Thrower against the Ill Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Starting with Columbus, I want to see less fancy passing, more guys crashing the net and Holtby in net to finish out the season. No more ******* around.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
He never did to begin with sooooo

I mean, we all know deep down that he has minimal puck skills. But some level of forechecking ability or strong board play should develop at some point, right?

He isn't even laying out big hits right now. He could probably stand to take a few games off.

tmljeh19*

I mean, we all know deep down that he has minimal puck skills. But some level of forechecking ability or strong board play should develop at some point, right?

He isn't even laying out big hits right now. He could probably stand to take a few games off.

He could stand to be on a different time. He should be traded while he has any value whatsoever

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
We've morphed into last year's team.
Last year's team was heavier.

If they get bounced in the first round it should spark a wholesale re-evaluation of all of their organizational assumptions about this core group and the way they do business generally. Hopefully they don't get that level of a wake-up call but at the very least there's a curve coming that they're not out ahead of. They'll adjust, they'll be engaged but the bad habits they'll have to fight won't leave them with much margin. A smarter team should realize this and have a sharper understanding of habits and execution being daily tasks that can't be glossed over and are never quite perfected. That their motivation has lagged so severely based on their standings placement may be typical enough but it's not promising.

tmljeh19*

If they get bounced in the first round it should spark a wholesale re-evaluation of all of their organizational assumptions about this core group and the way they do business generally. Hopefully they don't get that level of a wake-up call but at the very least there's a curve coming that they're not out ahead of. They'll adjust, they'll be engaged but the bad habits they'll have to fight won't leave them with much margin. A smarter team should realize this and have a sharper understanding of habits and execution being daily tasks that can't be glossed over and are never quite perfected. That their motivation has lagged so severely based on their standings placement may be typical enough but it's not promising.

That was beautifully said :handclap:

tmljeh19*

At this point I don't want Holtby to get the record. It'd just be more blind optimism that'll come crashing down come playoff time.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I swear a lot of you need to watch teams other than the Caps play. This Caps team is good. Sure they are not playing as well right now as they did earlier in the season but my god those of you calling for a first round exit are ridiculous. We are by far the best team in the East.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I swear a lot of you need to watch teams other than the Caps play. This Caps team is good. Sure they are not playing as well right now as they did earlier in the season but my god those of you calling for a first round exit are ridiculous. We are by far the best team in the East.

This board has some weird assumption that every other team in the league is at the top of their game night in and night out.

Except the bad teams that we beat, obviously.

Mackinnonen

Sep 6, 2015
This team hasn't played to its full potential since the snowstorm. Lets hope to god that changes come playoff time.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Blues fan, thought it was a pretty even game between two good teams. Good luck in the PO's.

Many teams that have things wrapped up early lately struggle late and end up with the trophy. There's no formula and as a Blues fan I can attest to that. Theyve gone into the PO's just about any way possible.

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Blues fan, thought it was a pretty even game between two good teams. Good luck in the PO's.

Many teams that have things wrapped up early lately struggle late and end up with the trophy. There's no formula and as a Blues fan I can attest to that. Theyve gone into the PO's just about any way possible.

So have the Caps, didn't win either of us any cups. Remember how great the end of the Caps 08 season was?

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Blues fan. Reading your boards is so much like reading the Blues boards, lol. If we are winning it isn't because we are any good and it doesn't really matter because we all know what will happen come playoff time, lol. If we lose it is just like everyone expected, our goalies suck, our players suck, and our coaches should have all been fired last year. Caps fans share a lot in common with Blues fans it seems. Good luck, would love to see you beat a lot of the arrogant teams from the East!!!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

His game is about all out effort. It stands to reason he's going to look bad when the team is on cruise control.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Thank you for the kind words, and good luck to your team in the playoffs. Please beat the Hawks, I can't stand them anymore.

You're right about momentum from the end of the regular season not carrying over to the playoffs. Ottawa entered the playoffs as the hottest team in the league and fell apart in the 1st round last year.

What matters is how the team performs in Game 1 of the first round and every game after that. If the Caps do well this spring, no one will remember this game.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Seems many on here have gone from speculating on a SCF to wondering what will happen if we lose in the first round :whaaa?:

:laugh:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Look, I'm as reluctant to buy in as the next Caps fan, but you really should learn to enjoy a good thing when you have it. They're positioned as best as a team can be. They were a ****ing bounce away from the ECF last year in Trotz year 1.

They've been leading the NHL by 15-20 points since Feb, playing hungry teams.

They're going to win the Presidents, likely the Adams, Richard and Vezina.

Organizational assesment? Srsly.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

From a team preparation and development standpoint should they flame out early, yes, absolutely. That's assuming the ultimate goal is indeed the Cup and excellence rather than the President's Trophy and whatever comes fairly easy. They would also likely have the primary assist leader in Kuznetsov and a fairly highly regarded defenseman in Carlson. If all of that only amounts to the same as last year or less then what kind of strides will they have made organizationally? How else would they get better without stepping back and asking some tough questions?

Of course, let's not get ahead of ourselves. When their back is up against the wall and the stakes are clear maybe these issues go away. I find it hard to believe at this point that they suddenly magically will. They'll have their own amassed rust to work off and the later it's still present the more of a concern it should be. They ought to get up for the Philly game and their final four games at the very least but overall it's tiresome making excuses for a core group that has gone through them so for long.

tmljeh19*

Look, I'm as reluctant to buy in as the next Caps fan, but you really should learn to enjoy a good thing when you have it. They're positioned as best as a team can be. They were a ****ing bounce away from the ECF last year in Trotz year 1.

And they were a great save away from that not mattering at all. This organization is so full of excuses that it's trickled down to the fan base and its sad. If they get outted in the first or the second round then changes need to be made. Period.

I don't care about all the fancy trophies they win if it's not the cup. I'd trade every single one of those for it. So the plan is, if we lose, let's try it all over again with the same guys and the same approach?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Sometimes games look worse than they actually are. The Caps ran into a good goaltending performance and had some poor goaltending of their own. Yeah, they had some defensive breakdowns but honestly systematically they looked fine. Mental mistakes can be fixed rather quickly as opposed to talent deficiencies or systems issues.

Two things: break up Orlov and Orpik. It's a pair that just doesn't work despite the advanced stats (see guys I'm not all stats!) Also, despite Backstrom and Ovechkin looking pretty good tonight I still want too see 8-92-77 and 65-19-14. Why not try these lines? They were incredibly effective at the beginning of the season. Maybe they won't be effective again, but I feel like they should at least try it.

Also this is exactly why the Caps should have acquired a third line winger at the deadline. Many people here said "why break up the best line on the team?" Well, the advanced stats said they were not going to keep it up and now look. They are the worst line on the team.

It's no time to panic if you're a fan, but I think Trotz has to make a change in his line combinations because he's not really maximizing the talent on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad