Post-Game Talk: Crow Thrower against the Ill Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
Didn't get a chance to watch the game, but from watching the highlights:

Looked Orlov goofed up tonight and Grubby let in a goal that he might have wanted back.

It also looked like Allen made some great saves. WSH had more than a few great chances/looks.

To me it looked like a goalie that stole the game. Or at least put them in a great position to win. That's playoff hockey. Not a disaster.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't get a chance to watch the game, but from watching the highlights:

Looked Orlov goofed up tonight and Grubby let in a goal that he might have wanted back.

It also looked like Allen made some great saves. WSH had more than a few great chances/looks.

To me it looked like a goalie that stole the game. Or at least put them in a great position to win. That's playoff hockey. Not a disaster.

That what we're afraid of....:cry:

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i have the feeling wat we see now is wat we get. at best it will be inconsistent performance. on the other hand, all cup winning teams had bad games in the regular season... if i would be a rookie fan i would panik now, i guess i have to see the first game of the playoffs to be sure.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Sometimes games look worse than they actually are. The Caps ran into a good goaltending performance and had some poor goaltending of their own. Yeah, they had some defensive breakdowns but honestly systematically they looked fine. Mental mistakes can be fixed rather quickly as opposed to talent deficiencies or systems issues.

Two things: break up Orlov and Orpik. It's a pair that just doesn't work despite the advanced stats (see guys I'm not all stats!) Also, despite Backstrom and Ovechkin looking pretty good tonight I still want too see 8-92-77 and 65-19-14. Why not try these lines? They were incredibly effective at the beginning of the season. Maybe they won't be effective again, but I feel like they should at least try it.

Also this is exactly why the Caps should have acquired a third line winger at the deadline. Many people here said "why break up the best line on the team?" Well, the advanced stats said they were not going to keep it up and now look. They are the worst line on the team.

It's no time to panic if you're a fan, but I think Trotz has to make a change in his line combinations because he's not really maximizing the talent on the team.

I think they should scratch Orlov for a game and put Chorney in with Schmidt, or at least reduce Orlov's minutes. He played 21:09 last night, second only to Niskanen. Both were -2. Part of me wonders, though, if what we're actually seeing is a strategy by the coaching staff to get the team playing better when not giving it their all. If you put Carlson and Orpik back together now, for example, and it failed you'd have nothing up your sleeves come playoffs. Both of them are playing better at the moment, and I think Schmidt has been better with Carly these couple of games. I just wish it didn't have to be Orlov and Orpik as a result. I wonder too if this is a precursor to Orlov contract talks in the offseason - can they sign him to a Top 4 role or not?

Out of interest, save for his arguably better hitting ability, does anyone here think Orlov is actually better defensively than Chorney? At least at the moment?

As for your other points:

The Ovi-Backstrom line seems to be the only one Williams isn't scoring on, even if he's improved it. At this point he'd be more help to the team being on the second or third.

Again, there was no 65-19-14 line at the start of the season, there was 90-19-14. People are using Marcus and Bura interchanging and I don't get why - Marcus has scored a tonne of goals away from Kuzy; Andre didn't and hasn't. And considering 8-19-14 and 65-19-77 weren't anything great, I don't see reason that 65-92-14 would work. Don't try and help Ovechkin (who really shouldn't need help) by taking Andre out at the knees.

The third line is the worst on the team? Which third line would that be? In recent games we've had:
25-90-43
25-83-90
25-90-83
25-10-90
25-90-14
25-83-43

And for at least two stints this season, 25-10-43 which I think managed just one goal in multiple games together.

By my count that's six different players, and only one consistency. Yet I bet it's Willy you're wanting to have been replaced. What do we do about Chimera? I thought Marcus was strong when he was 2LW and Chimera already strong on 3LW - put them together and they worked well, and greatly improved Willy. I think Marcus is looking strong, despite not scoring much, but Chimera's become surprisingly invisible of late. I think it'd be worth putting Williams with them a bit longer to see if they can both find their grooves again.

One thing that desperately needs to happen: Kuzy, Backstrom, Oshie and Johansson need to shoot more, and more consistently. They're all good or very good playmakers, but there's still too much deference going on. At this point, screw Ovi. Let him find his own goals.

And surprisingly, I think Galiev deserves more ice time. Yeah, he's not scoring - but our entire forward corps is now two games without a goal. He looked good last night despite a tricky opponent. Here's my question: what's Galiev's role, ideally? Is it playmaker, or scorer? I feel like part of his problem this season is he plays mostly on checking lines, which isn't his primary skill, and when in the top six it's not clear which role he should assume. Still, might be interesting to see 25-90-49 for a game. I feel like Galiev's got one goal coming this season, however unlikely that seems.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
Pretty much looking like Philly, Isles or Wings in first round.

All three pretty much have equal looking schedules based on the opponents they face. Will come down to their head to head games.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The Caps may not have the fortitude to break regular season records (wins, points, winning percentages, etc), but that doesnt mean that they will flame out.

It's probably a little scary for some, to count on this team, hence the negative nancies and the quasi freak outs.

It is what it is. I personally think it will be a good playoff run, as long as they play the "right" first round opponent to get their groove back. Wings, Flyers, Isles. I only see the Bruins as a possible trip up team (due to Rask and Chara).

The rest of then "problem" teams will be in 2nd round and beyond. Assuming Caps can win the first round, that should help to focus the team and get them ready for Pens/Rags, etc.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Pretty much looking like Philly, Isles or Wings in first round.

All three pretty much have equal looking schedules based on the opponents they face. Will come down to their head to head games.

Bruins are far more likely than the Isles. Bruins have played 2 more games, and have 1 less point.

It's really looking like Bruins or Wings will be #3 in Atlantic, with the loser having to beat our Philly for WC #2.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
The Caps may not have the fortitude to break regular season records (wins, points, winning percentages, etc), but that doesnt mean that they will flame out.

It's probably a little scary for some, to count on this team, hence the negative nancies and the quasi freak outs.

It is what it is. I personally think it will be a good playoff run, as long as they play the "right" first round opponent to get their groove back. Wings, Flyers, Isles. I only see the Bruins as a possible trip up team (due to Rask and Chara).

The rest of then "problem" teams will be in 2nd round and beyond. Assuming Caps can win the first round, that should help to focus the team and get them ready for Pens/Rags, etc.

I forgot about the Bruins. They only have 6 games left and could be a possible first round match-up for the
Caps. They're at 88 points now while Philly is at 85 in 8th place with 2 games in hand on Boston.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
How important is practice, when the way we will play in the playoffs is never practiced? I never see playoff level hitting in practice. I am not sure I have seen practice hitting at all in the modern era.

I know, injury concerns etc.... but when opening every series by ramping up the hitting, which often continues throughout much of the series, shouldn't it be practiced?

Hitting simply has to be done in games if a playoff style is to be practiced. It looked like St Louis got the better of us hitting last night. I hope we start soon. Hitting is the proverbial switch, lets be reality.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I'm very curious how they'll start the playoffs considering how this season has went. I won't be surprised if they stumble in the first two games against a team who had to fight for a playoff spot every night down the stretch.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Hitting in a regular season game doesn't make as much sense as it does in the playoffs, so to me it isn't a big concern they're not doing that now.

Going for a big hit takes you out of the play and leaves a lot of space for your teammates to cover, especially if the hit isn't a successful. It's also an injury-risk for the player making the hit.
The benefits of hitting; slowing a player down (i.e getting hurt) or have him caughing up the puck the next time he sees someone baring down on him is more beneficial in the longterm, like in a playoff series. Because in the regular season you don't face that player again in a long time so if that player missing games or turning pucks over, it's of no good to you.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Blues fan here. I watch a lot of hockey, and I would pick Washington out of the East. I think last night had more to do with a subpar performance from your back-up goalie and a Blues team that is playing for first place right now. When you pretty much have the Presidents Trophy wrapped up its hard to find that same level of passion.

Your board is funny with all the neurosis, reads a lot like the Blues' board. But the Caps are my Eastern rooting interest in the playoffs. Good luck (and see you in St Louis prior to that).

Thanks for the 2 points. I can tell you we needed it a lot more than you did.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Blues fan here. I watch a lot of hockey, and I would pick Washington out of the East. I think last night had more to do with a subpar performance from your back-up goalie and a Blues team that is playing for first place right now. When you pretty much have the Presidents Trophy wrapped up its hard to find that same level of passion.

Your board is funny with all the neurosis, reads a lot like the Blues' board. But the Caps are my Eastern rooting interest in the playoffs. Good luck (and see you in St Louis prior to that).

Thanks for the 2 points. I can tell you we needed it a lot more than you did.

So you're telling me that Blues fans also become insane when the Blues get their ***** kicked? Blues and Caps are cut from the same cloth, 40 years of losing, underachieving and disappointment will do that to us.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
CejDSgKW8AEhD-r.jpg

CejASCcW8AAj7IL.jpg

POSITIVITY

PandaMan

Mar 25, 2016
Caps Central, VA
Newbie from another world (board)

I hate when the Caps lose. Ruins my mood, but I find I don't care today. No injuries? Good. Next.

Worst part of this game for me is the misery on the board. The pleasure some posters take in the losing is unbearable.

I agree with this sentiment exactly. I cruised over here from another board because it was full of "Cap Fans" who are just absolutely negative and trash talking the Caps when Caps lose a game.
I don't get it. They are not going to win every game. They have won more games than any other team this year. They are the best team this year so far. They are the best Caps team ever assembled. Yet, they lose a relatively meaningless games and you'd think by reading these boards they were Toronto.
Would you be happier to be in Flyers position; playing well, but MAYBE making the playoffs?

Caps are just coasting waiting for the regular season to be over. Aside from Holtby setting a record, what's left to play for? They are just waiting for playoffs to start. It sucks to watch when they don't seem to care, and I have some worries about this like everyone else, but I'm not counting them out in the first round because they don't care about the next 8 games.

The caps did not play great, but they played a decent game. They generated offense. They had chances to score. The blues netminder had a fantastic (and lucky) game.

The Blues were better tonight. Next game please.

And for those who say they have seen this all before, I say you have not. This is NOT the team that always chokes in the playoffs. This is a different team. It is the same organization, but it is not the same team. This is the best Caps team in history (IMO) They have the best goaltender in the league. They have the best goal scorer on the planet. They have improved their roster greatly. They have a good coach. They have a good GM. They have a chance!

GO CAPS

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree with this sentiment exactly. I cruised over here from another board because it was full of "Cap Fans" who are just absolutely negative and trash talking the Caps when Caps lose a game.
I don't get it. They are not going to win every game. They have won more games than any other team this year. They are the best team this year so far. They are the best Caps team ever assembled. Yet, they lose a relatively meaningless games and you'd think by reading these boards they were Toronto.
Would you be happier to be in Flyers position; playing well, but MAYBE making the playoffs?

Caps are just coasting waiting for the regular season to be over. Aside from Holtby setting a record, what's left to play for? They are just waiting for playoffs to start. It sucks to watch when they don't seem to care, and I have some worries about this like everyone else, but I'm not counting them out in the first round because they don't care about the next 8 games.

The caps did not play great, but they played a decent game. They generated offense. They had chances to score. The blues netminder had a fantastic (and lucky) game.

The Blues were better tonight. Next game please.

And for those who say they have seen this all before, I say you have not. This is NOT the team that always chokes in the playoffs. This is a different team. It is the same organization, but it is not the same team. This is the best Caps team in history (IMO) They have the best goaltender in the league. They have the best goal scorer on the planet. They have improved their roster greatly. They have a good coach. They have a good GM. They have a chance!

GO CAPS

Well that's one hell of a first post. Nicely done. :yo:

We all know nothing is guaranteed. We've seen great Caps teams sputter in the postseason. It could happen again. But why worry about it? This team represents probably the best CHANCE at a Cup. It's never a lock no matter how good you are on paper or in the regular season. We can only wait and see.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
With the whole coasting topic lately, I do have high hopes that they make a legitimate run and short of a cup final appearance would be disappointing considering how good the roster is. I just want it to be playoffs already, I just want the emotional rollercoaster that is playoff hockey again!

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
People are channeling a lot of negative anxiety as a defense mechanism against once again having their hopes crushed. It's understandable - but ultimately it seems to me be contrary to the point of being a fan. Part of the fun of being a fan is to have a semi-emotional, roller-coaster experience about something that ultimately really doesn't matter that much.

I really like the game of hockey. And I'm attached to the Washington Caps - they get me emotionally invested in what is by far the most interesting and rewarding spectator sport going. But I don't think it's useful to erect a wall of negativity as a defense against the possibility of being let down again - the risk of that happening is a key part of the fan experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad