Crosby vs players from 90s

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just because one player is above another, it doesn't mean the lesser player is bad. It boggles my mind when people correctly say that Sid is better than Forsberg (or similar), that people act like Crosby was just photographed taking a dump on his gravestone and whipping his cheeks with is jersey. Jesus people.

Jagr was a cut above those guys. Sid is a cut above those guys. I will even say Ovechkin is a cut above those guys. That's still elite company.

Wayne
Mario
Orr
Howe
Jagr/Crosby

Cases to be made for 6 through 10.

Reactions: Tweed

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Stop reminding me of that Pond of Dreams thing from the 2000 All-Star Game.

krpnY.jpg

Quite clearly the best use of time travel would be a pond hockey tournament of the best players from each generation.

One of the coolest pictures of all time. Honestly wasn't aware of it until I saw it in Gretzky's restaurant in Downtown Toronto, ever since then I've made it a goal of mine to get a framed version. Hopefully with 6 signatures (RIP Gordie)

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Alright. So most seem to think Jagr and Crosby are comparable. But what about Forsberg? Especially in the playoffs. Am I wrong to say id rather have Forsberg than Crosby centering my first line?

Yes. Way wrong.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Crosby's on the same tier as Jagr (I think Jagr was better) but they're both below Gretzky/Lemieux. With that said Crosby/Jagr are better than any other forward from the 90's imo.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby either placed or was on pace for a top 3 scoring finish for 11 straight seasons. None of those players come close to that. Also a 7 time Hart finalist again none of those guys are close

Reactions: ktownhockey

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Crosby is in the same tier as Jagr, which is a tier higher than Sakic/Lindros/Forsberg
Wat?

Before concussions Lindros was most certainly on Gretzky and Lemieuxs level in terms of impact.

There hasn't been a guy like Lindros before or after early Lindros and chances are that type of player will never be seen again.

Reactions: MessierII

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Tiers of NHL legends.

GOAT tier: Gretzky, Mario, Orr, and Howe

Generational talent tier: Crosby, Jagr, Hasek, Richard, Beliveau, and Bobby Hull

Franchise players: Roy, Mikita, Yzerman, Ovechkin, Sakic, Forsberg, Lidstrom, Bourque, Messier, Malkin, Lindros, Esposito, LaFleur, Bossy

Next tier would be consistent all-star level players.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Tiers of NHL legends.

Generational talent tier: Crosby, Jagr, Hasek, Richard, Beliveau, and Bobby Hull

Franchise players: Roy, Mikita, Yzerman, Ovechkin, Sakic, Forsberg, Lidstrom, Bourque, Messier, Malkin, Lindros, Esposito, LaFleur, Bossy

Ovi belongs in a tier above those players.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Ovi belongs in a tier above those players.

I also don't know how you can consider Crosby and Hull "generational" but Ovechkin not. Crosby's resume is closer to all of the "Franchise Player" (not a great name IMO) tier than Jagr's or Hasek's.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I also don't know how you can consider Crosby and Hull "generational" but Ovechkin not. Crosby's resume is closer to all of the "Franchise Player" (not a great name IMO) tier than Jagr's or Hasek's.
In what way is jagr a better hockey player than Sidney Patrick Crosby?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
In what way is jagr a better hockey player than Sidney Patrick Crosby?
Jagr is a better offensive talent but as others have pointed out Sid is better overall or something. I guess I can agree...

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Tiers of NHL legends.

Roy has more of a right being in the GOAT tier than the franchise tier imo

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Tiers of NHL legends.

I would add Roy and Brodeur to the Generational list. Sundin to the franchise list but other than that pretty accurate.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
I would add Roy and Brodeur to the Generational list. Sundin to the franchise list but other than that pretty accurate lists.....

Sundin is not remotely in this conversation, Brodeur more than deserves to be there though.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Sundin is not remotely in this conversation, Brodeur more than deserves to be there though.
Sundin's consistent and long term production absolutely puts him in the franchise list. He made players better around him his entire career and is in the top 30 all time points. He's not on the Generational list but is absolutely on the franchise list

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Crosby is in the same tier as Jagr, which is a tier higher than Sakic/Lindros/Forsberg

Crosby has 1263 points in 984 games (1.28 PPG)

Forsberg had 885 points in 708 games (1.25 PPG)

That's a difference of 2.46 points per 82 game season

Adjusted for era, Crosby has 1400 points in 984 games (1.42 PPG)

Adjusted for era, Forsberg had 977 points in 708 (1.38 PPG)

That's a difference of 3.82 points per 82 game season

That seems like the same tier to me...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad