Crosby vs players from 90s

steleh

Nov 8, 2013
In another thread, Mulletman, yes, him, said that Crosby compared more to the Forsbergs and Bures of the world rather than the generational talents. I'm paraphrasing here but i think this was his point.
The more I thought about it the more I felt i agreed. I thought about Sakic, Forsberg and Jagr, and i don't feel like there's a clear separation between those and Crosby. Sure, Crosby has many individual awards, but he didn't compete against Gretzky or Lemieux. So what I'm saying is I think Crosby is in the same tier of player as Forsberg, Sakic, Jagr and Lindros, and not a once in a generation or top 5 player of all time. Am I braindead?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
In another thread, Mulletman, yes, him, said that Crosby compared more to the Forsbergs and Bures of the world rather than the generational talents. I'm paraphrasing here but i think this was his point.
The more I thought about it the more I felt i agreed. I thought about Sakic, Forsberg and Jagr, and i don't feel like there's a clear separation between those and Crosby. Sure, Crosby has many individual awards, but he didn't compete against Gretzky or Lemieux. So what I'm saying is I think Crosby is in the same tier of player as Forsberg, Sakic, Jagr and Lindros, and not a once in a generation or top 5 player of all time. Am I braindead?

giphy.gif

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He's not as good as Jagr.

steleh

Nov 8, 2013
Crosby is in the same tier as Jagr, which is a tier higher than Sakic/Lindros/Forsberg

I 100% agree with that. I feel like Jagr is very underrated here. Maybe because he went to Russia and he was old when he returned. But from 18-30 he was special. And even with the rangers he was still special.

Reactions: Eisen and hmc1987

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Imo, Crosby is a top10 player of all time. I'd be okay saying that. He is still my favourite hockey player and I hope he can win another Cup.

If Crosby went head-to-head against Gretz he would destroy Wayne. Sid has the body of a man, while Wayne was built like a teenaged girl, sorta like EP40.

90s was my time, so after Lemieux and Jagr I'd be okay saying he's the best Penguin ever.

Reactions: PuckThumper11

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Imo, Crosby is a top10 player of all time. I'd be okay saying that. He is still my favourite hockey player and I hope he can win another Cup.

If Crosby went head-to-head against Gretz he would destroy Wayne. Sid has the body of a man, while Wayne was built like a teenaged girl, sorta like EP40.

90s was my time, so after Lemieux and Jagr I'd be okay saying he's the best Penguin ever.
What about a little 2 on 2. Wayne (age 23) and a plug, versus Sid (age 23) and a plug. First to 10.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Dude those players aren't even on a tier with each other.

The only one of them that compares to Crosby is Jagr.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

This makes no sense pretty sure Messier would destroy Crosby to but yet Gretzky dominated like no other in the time when anything went. Sure he had bodyguards but he still played in an era that was vicious compared to now. Crosby is the best player of the last 10-15 years but because he's the best some make him generational. He's not as he's never dominated as true generational players did. Those would be Gretzky, Mario, Orr and Howe. You could possibly add Hasek to that list. When has Crosby ever dominated the league for any full season compared to how those guys lead the second-place scorers? Before anyone replies but he does more than scoring I realize that but his primary job is scoring. Heck could be argued he's not even the best player on his own team for a few of the years he's played with Malkin. I put Crosby with Sakic, Yzerman and Messier myself. Nothing wrong with being grouped with those players I might add. Cheers.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Stop reminding me of that Pond of Dreams thing from the 2000 All-Star Game.

krpnY.jpg

Quite clearly the best use of time travel would be a pond hockey tournament of the best players from each generation.
Oh ya that was awesome. I like how Mario is as tall as Jagr on skates. and almost as tall as Lindros on skates lol
Ya Dit clapper v Joe malone v Rocket Richard v Orr v Gretzky etc They should do it. If they get a time machine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad