Post-Game Talk: Crosby Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

That's not answering the question though, is it? Inconsistency isn't an answer to why a team is running hot. Whatever is making them run hot is whatever is making them run hot.

Not to mention this team's problems are different to last year's. Teams aren't inconsistent just because, they're inconsistent for reasons and it's worth digging at them, no?

Rather than just throwing our arms into the air and exclaiming "It's the Penguins!!1!" like we're in a high school play and decided to get over our first major breakup by necking a bottle of wine during make up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Players. Definitely not concept of shit.

That's not answering the question though, is it? Inconsistency isn't an answer to why a team is running hot. Whatever is making them run hot is whatever is making them run hot.

Not to mention this team's problems are different to last year's. Teams aren't inconsistent just because, they're inconsistent for reasons and it's worth digging at them, no?

Rather than just throwing our arms into the air and exclaiming "It's the Penguins!!1!" like we're in a high school play and decided to get over our first major breakup by necking a bottle of wine during make up.

To me this is a lot like last few years. They're inconsistent and this time haven't gone on longer stretches of wins like previous years. I still think they just barely miss and this franchise will be better for it in the long run.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pretty weird to see people getting so heavy about a goalie who's giving pretty great results on average right now.

Go to NST, and 38 goalies have played a 1000+ minutes this season, Jarry is in the top quarter for goals saved above average. Moneypuck do it by games, but call that 17 games and you get 42 goalies and Jarry is once again the top quarter. He's just on the border of being top quarter of those 42 for quality start percentage too per Hockey Reference, with a very healthy .615.

So basically right now he's a top quarter starter/semi-starter and people want to get excited about how he makes mistakes too? Right-o.

Also, as for the argument "but we didn't need him because we got Ned" - hey, it's great we struck gold on Ned, but the goalie reclamation market is fickle and it's better to have 2 goalies playing well than 1. Paying 5 million to get a bit more certainty and get two goalies playing well is a fairly minor sin compared to messing it up altogether.

The issue is you see the hate for Jars and then you point out how unjustified it is. It's why it pisses a few of us off.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

I must be dumber than I thought because I don't see why Jesse says the run can only be attributed to one thing, nor do I understand the point of the reply that simply re-states the premise (Pens = inconsistent).

I think we can all point to a lot of answers, like goaltending, improved forward depth, better combinations, improved powerplay, improved individual play, health, etc and it still might only be attributable to the general randomness of hockey outcomes.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I must be dumber than I thought because I don't see why Jesse says the run can only be attributed to one thing, nor do I understand the point of the reply that simply re-states the premise (Pens = inconsistent).

I think we can all point to a lot of answers, like goaltending, improved forward depth, better combinations, improved powerplay, improved individual play, health, etc and it still might only be attributable to the general randomness of hockey outcomes.

I don't think Jesse is saying it can only be attributed to one thing - if he was, he'd presumably say that one thing, rather than ask what people think it is.

Rather he's posing the question as a hypothetical to see what people think is the most important thing, because obviously everyone's going to see it different. For me the biggest thing is it looks like they're sticking to the system most nights, but I can see cases for improved personnel and personnel finally bedding in too. Goaltending has been good all season so I don't think that's the improvement.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

It's driving #engagement on Twit...er, X.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I don't think Jesse is saying it can only be attributed to one thing - if he was, he'd presumably say that one thing, rather than ask what people think it is.

Rather he's posing the question as a hypothetical to see what people think is the most important thing, because obviously everyone's going to see it different. For me the biggest thing is it looks like they're sticking to the system most nights, but I can see cases for improved personnel and personnel finally bedding in too. Goaltending has been good all season so I don't think that's the improvement.

If anything I see more adjustment every night from Sully as the big thing. Early in the season, he was attached to the old ways, and then around that Colorado game he started to make actual adjustments in game that saw us out system some teams for the first time in a couple years. Little things like wingers staying higher or lower in each zone, swapping lines around that haven't worked for a few games. He's been far less attached to his idea of things this year and I think that's why we've been improving instead of just getting lucky. The PP still sucks, but it seems to be turning a corner, the goalies are better than they were at the start of the year.

I'm not a fan of Sully, but he's been better this year than the last 3 or 4 and I think we're seeing the results.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
If anything I see more adjustment every night from Sully as the big thing. Early in the season, he was attached to the old ways, and then around that Colorado game he started to make actual adjustments in game that saw us out system some teams for the first time in a couple years. Little things like wingers staying higher or lower in each zone, swapping lines around that haven't worked for a few games. He's been far less attached to his idea of things this year and I think that's why we've been improving instead of just getting lucky. The PP still sucks, but it seems to be turning a corner, the goalies are better than they were at the start of the year.

I'm not a fan of Sully, but he's been better this year than the last 3 or 4 and I think we're seeing the results.
I think Sully for the most part will make changes and adjustments they just aren't sudden and sometimes seem extremely late. He's going to favor veteran and proven players over young inexperienced. I don't think he's necessarily wrong in the case and it's just different coaching philosophies.

Just recently if we went off of him making drastic changes Zucker would have been long gone last season before he and Malkin connected.

I like how he handled the DOC situation so far. He knew he had some promise coming into this season but didn't just give him the opportunity. He has meshed well with Eller and didn't immediately pull them apart while continuing to build his confidence.

Now it looks like DOC can fill in for stretches in the top 6 and that's a big need for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad