Post-Game Talk: Crosby Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Good game by the Pens overall. That PP goal by Jake/Geno/Rackell was sick!

Jarry...
You guys think it was Jarry vs Ned. It was Jarry vs, "who else could we get as a stable goaltender". There wasn't much out there, and now seeing all these teams looking for goalies, I'm happy with what Dubas did. Even though I would have preferred a shorter contract for Jarry. He didn't have much of a choice.

Ned was a reclamation project, and we are getting the best we could have hoped for from him. Will it last? Who knows. Goalies are a fickle bunch.

Anyways, goaltending isn't the problem right now.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pretty weird to see people getting so heavy about a goalie who's giving pretty great results on average right now.

Go to NST, and 38 goalies have played a 1000+ minutes this season, Jarry is in the top quarter for goals saved above average. Moneypuck do it by games, but call that 17 games and you get 42 goalies and Jarry is once again the top quarter. He's just on the border of being top quarter of those 42 for quality start percentage too per Hockey Reference, with a very healthy .615.

So basically right now he's a top quarter starter/semi-starter and people want to get excited about how he makes mistakes too? Right-o.

Also, as for the argument "but we didn't need him because we got Ned" - hey, it's great we struck gold on Ned, but the goalie reclamation market is fickle and it's better to have 2 goalies playing well than 1. Paying 5 million to get a bit more certainty and get two goalies playing well is a fairly minor sin compared to messing it up altogether.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pretty weird to see people getting so heavy about a goalie who's giving pretty great results on average right now.

Go to NST, and 38 goalies have played a 1000+ minutes this season, Jarry is in the top quarter for goals saved above average. Moneypuck do it by games, but call that 17 games and you get 42 goalies and Jarry is once again the top quarter. He's just on the border of being top quarter of those 42 for quality start percentage too per Hockey Reference, with a very healthy .615.

So basically right now he's a top quarter starter/semi-starter and people want to get excited about how he makes mistakes too? Right-o.

Also, as for the argument "but we didn't need him because we got Ned" - hey, it's great we struck gold on Ned, but the goalie reclamation market is fickle and it's better to have 2 goalies playing well than 1. Paying 5 million to get a bit more certainty and get two goalies playing well is a fairly minor sin compared to messing it up altogether.

Yeah, but have you entertained the idea that he sucks?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, but have you entertained the idea that he sucks?

I have and my conclusion is that I am glad to see we are finally becoming a more sex positive society and are using such terms as a compliment rather than an insult.

Reactions: Gurglesons

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

Jarry...
You guys think it was Jarry vs Ned. It was Jarry vs, "who else could we get as a stable goaltender". There wasn't much out there, and now seeing all these teams looking for goalies, I'm happy with what Dubas did. Even though I would have preferred a shorter contract for Jarry. He didn't have much of a choice.

Ned was a reclamation project, and we are getting the best we could have hoped for from him. Will it last? Who knows. Goalies are a fickle bunch.

Especially when you see what teams are throwing out for goaltending right now. I was perfectly fine with a Jarry/Ned combo.......I was not fine with running back the same Jarry/DeSmith tandem.

If DOC can continue his play and be a fixture in the top 6 for stretches we are looking good there. If we can just get this powerplay taken care of (which has been one of our biggest issues since the playoff slump) this team is going to be pretty strong. It doesn't seem like a terribly difficult ask but for whatever reason its been killing this team for years.

Also the fact that, sure goalies can get hot.....real hot, but hockey fans must know it can get pretty cold pretty quick as well. I am willing to bet we will have to lean on Jarry for stretches here as well in the 2nd half.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It's fine to question Jarry, his contract and whether he should be here.

But the seeming pride and conviction that being unhinged about Jarry makes you a more devout fan is...something you would expect from the dregs of this board. The trolls and troll adjacent.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Give credit to Sully where it's due. I've harped on him about Puustinen's usage/development/confidence, and Sully played Puustinen for the last 40 seconds of the game to test him in a high-pressure defensive situation.

That's exactly what he should have done.

Puustinen had a very strong game, especially defensively. He was first on loose pucks, won 50/50 battles, won a faceoff, and was the lone man back on a Flyers 3-on-1 and broke it up. He was a net positive every time he was on the ice.
He was there to keep Deslauriers in check. He wanted no part of Big Puss.

Reactions: Gurglesons and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is also probably his smallest workload entering the 2nd half, so, hopefully that has a positive effect.

This is also hopefully the year where the team doesn't decide it's got its stars back so it doesn't have to defend for the second half of the season too.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's fine to question Jarry, his contract and whether he should be here.

But the seeming pride and conviction that being unhinged about Jarry makes you a more devout fan is...something you would expect from the dregs of this board. The trolls and troll adjacent.
I’ve been posting on these boards for parts of 3 decades (and there are people here who predate me by many years), trust me, we get unhinged about anything and everything.

• Haha
Reactions: spcastlemagic

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Jarry...

What pisses me off is this need to shit on Jarry to prop up Ned. Both have been good but Jarry is still the number one and we now have a solid 1B and that's what we should be thrilled about. Even the goalies in the Ahl are solid - Hellbeg and Blom are great options.

Jarry has been great. As has Ned. The issue is this team of dipshits would play like shit and get a goalie pulled and then suddenly realize oh shit we screwed our goalie again and magically play defense like they should have out of f***ing guilt. So then what happens is ever piece of shit that wants to hate on Jarry suddenly gets a raging boner to come here and turn it into some Ned is better horse shit.

f***ing tiring to keep seeing. These same morons would pull that shit when DeShit would go on a hot streak.

They can never be happy that now that Jarry is healthy and playing well again, we have a fantastic back up option as well as 2 other great goalie options if anything else happens.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Sometimes I have a hard time determining whether or not HFPens even likes the Penguins. I'm not trying to be funny.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad