Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
EZnZ2M9X0AA8ets.jpg

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Some years go by and they're somewhat nondescript. Not this year, no one will forget 2020. We'll all have decisive and profound memories to take away. And probably not fond ones. Hopefully the second half of the year gets much better.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Some years go by and they're somewhat nondescript. Not this year, no one will forget 2020. We'll all have decisive and profound memories to take away. And probably not fond ones. Hopefully the second half of the year gets much better.
I have doubts about things getting much better this year. I'm optimistic about next year though...

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Ahh what was it? Dude is so well spoken. You know those people when they speak they just command the room?

“My heart goes out to George Floyd, his loved ones and all of us who are hurting right now,” Woods wrote. “I have always had the utmost respect for our law enforcement. They train so diligently to understand how, when and where to use force. This shocking tragedy clearly crossed that line. I remember the LA riots and learned that education is the best path forward. We can make our points without burning the very neighborhoods that we live in. I hope that through constructive, honest conversations, we can build a safer, unified society.”

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
“My heart goes out to George Floyd, his loved ones and all of us who are hurting right now,” Woods wrote. “I have always had the utmost respect for our law enforcement. They train so diligently to understand how, when and where to use force. This shocking tragedy clearly crossed that line. I remember the LA riots and learned that education is the best path forward. We can make our points without burning the very neighborhoods that we live in. I hope that through constructive, honest conversations, we can build a safer, unified society.”
That IMO is striking the perfect balance and tone.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

The only voice of reason in this mess.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

Isn’t posting this political statement against site rules?

I understand leaving the Crosby statement up since this is a hockey board, but this seems like a slippery slope.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I remember when basic human decency was treating everybody equal no matter race, gender, age, and sexuality.

It should be. But, fortunately (or maybe unfortunately for some kinds of people) staying silent on matters just isn't acceptable anymore. Staying silent is just as much of a political statement as saying something, so I'm happy to know that Sid is on the right side of history.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It should be. But, fortunately (or maybe unfortunately for some kinds of people) staying silent on matters just isn't acceptable anymore. Staying silent is just as much of a political statement as saying something, so I'm happy to know that Sid is on the right side of history.
So, any player who doesn't say anything on the matter is on the wrong side of History?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
So, any player who doesn't say anything on the matter is on the wrong side of History?

I’d sure like to know how celebrities from the 1960s felt about Bull Connor, for example. :dunno: That does and would color how I view them and whether or not they’re worthy of my adulation.

But you’re missing my larger point- by not saying what you stand for, you’re making a point anyway, and arguably the most damning no matter how this turns out. :dunno: At least have the courage to stand up for your own views during the most turbulent time in global history since the 1930s, no matter what side of the political spectrum you’re on. At the end of the day staying intentionally quiet, whatever you believe in, us itself a condoning of one side or the other, just without the dignity of standing by one’s own views. :dunno:

I get that to some celebrities, it’s a painful thing to put personal beliefs in the open, but that’s unfortunately part of the game. If you don’t take a stand, then you risk being co-opted, or worse, simply because you don’t make it clear what you believe in.

It’s unfair, but the world often is, and often with much harsher consequences than people being angry on the internet.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

I don't need Sid issuing a bunch of words (that likely came from his publicist). To know he's a good human being

So if Jeffrey Dahmer (if he was alive) issued those same words I'd know who he truly was. HIS words won't change my opinion of him

Actions not words are what matters most. Not some pc pandering

Reactions: Ryder71

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That’s fine and all, but words are an important part of the process. And because of Sid’s deeds, I think it’s fair to say that his statement is honest and not pandering.

Let me flip it- do you have a problem with Jagr wearing 68? That’s even more political, even now. :dunno:

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It’s interesting having this conversation about athletes though because they’re much more wrapped up in culture than people who produce culture, sometimes.

Like how can you look at Jackie Robinson or Jesse Owens or Barry McGuigan or Sugar Ray Robinson without seeing the political significance of what they did? But at the same time, it’s easier to overlook say, HP Lovecraft’s weird New England racism and read his stories. It’s not quite a double standard, but it’s interesting how much more athletes mean to us sometimes.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad