Crosby releases statement regarding George Floyd's death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey 4 everyone

Sep 29, 2017
so after being asked to make some sort of statement by evander kane in regards to the ongoing unrest and racism in the US, crosby released a statement on twitter via the penguins account addressing the issue of racism.

what happened to george floyd cannot be ignored. racism that exists today in all forms is not acceptable. while i am not able to release to the discrimination that black and minority communities face daily, i will listen and educate myself on how i can help make a different. together we will find solutions through necessary dialogue and a collective effort.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sidney-crosby-comments-racial-injustice-1.5596698

some people were saying crosby shouldnt say anything because he's a private guy generally. but he has now spoken about this. what do we think of him now speaking out?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Cue Evander Kane to bitch and moan about this not being good enough. Seriously f*** that guy. Kane not Floyd that is to clarify.
if kane said anything to crosby that would be news to me. it was the online mob that browbeat him into saying something so they could then critique the thing he never had to say to begin with

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
About as Crosby a statement as there ever was.

Yeah. Anybody trying to shame a response out of Crosby - which is not only improper but pretty f***ing rich coming from Kane considering his personal involvement in controversial encounters - should have expected this. The most bland but supportive statement imaginable.

Hope it was worth it!

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
he said his peace, now he should be left the hell alone. he shouldn't have been "pressured" into saying anything in the first place if he didn't want to. he signed up to be a professional athlete, not an activist. that's the problem with today's wide open social media society.. everyone has to have an opinion on everything, whether it's educated or uneducated, based on truths or based on lies.. you can now be vilified for not having an opinion on something. and when you do share your opinion, especially a public figure like Crosby, it will be dissected and contorted to fit whatever narrative someone wants it to. that's just sickening. this #cancel culture needs to be canceled.

Last edited:

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think it's important for athletes to use their platform to raise awareness about things. The more people who are shouting the message, the harder it is for people to ignore. In situations where people's civil rights are at stake, I do think it's morally reprehensible to stay silent or "not have an opinion." Sure, it's not Sid's job to be a protest leader or a philosopher, but bringing attention to pressing moral issues is a responsibility of major public figures. I'm not in the camp that would have run him out of town if he hadn't said anything, but I get where those people are coming from.

On the statement itself - it's about as milquetoast as you can get, but that's to be expected from Sid. He said the bare minimum, which is what he always does, every time anyone asks him any question about anything, haha. But at least the bare minimum is something. I though Jason Zucker's statement was pretty strong by comparison.

Reactions: Deas

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Needs more vanilla

Note I'm not critiquing it either way. Just silly that Kane whined about it

Evander Kane said:
We need so many more athletes that don’t look like me speaking out about this, having the same amount of outrage that I have inside. And using that to voice their opinion, to voice their frustration. Because that’s the only way it’s going to change. We’ve been outraged for hundreds of years and nothing’s changed. It’s time for guys like Tom Brady and Sidney Crosby and those type of figures to speak up about what is right and, clearly in this case, what is unbelievably wrong. Because that’s the only way we’re going to actually create, unify anger to create that necessary change. Especially when you talk about systematic racism.

That's "whining"?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm happy with the statement.

I'll be happier if I see some action behind the words.

I'm also happy with the idea that at times like these people look to leaders, and Sid is a leader of the hockey community. He didn't ask for it but he is and that does carry a responsibility.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Kane applied strategic pressure. Why didn't he call out his captains and teammates? Couture? Burns? Karlsson?

Not everybody has to comment about things on social media especially someone who doesn't even use it. It's not like anybody can voice their real opinions anyways. If it's not inline with the beehive mentality you are going to get cancelled.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Is there anyone publicly condoning what happened to George Floyd?

No one in their right mind would advocate differently. To me it's like saying water is wet.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
This is one of those times where, looking to people who play sports as profession for insight on a situation they aren't a victim of, is pretty stupid.

I feel that people in the public eye should know they are role models to a degree whether they like it or not. But to expect a white boy outta Nova Scotia to comment anything beyond platitudes is ridiculous. It is setting up for failure.

I wouldn't expect a non-transgender sportsball player to be at all insightful on transgender issues.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
This is one of those times where, looking to people who play sports as profession for insight on a situation they aren't a victim of, is pretty stupid.

I feel that people in the public eye should know they are role models to a degree whether they like it or not. But to expect a white boy outta Nova Scotia to comment anything beyond platitudes is ridiculous. It is setting up for failure.

I wouldn't expect a non-transgender sportsball player to be at all insightful on transgender issues.

People want support from them, not insight.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Kane applied strategic pressure. Why didn't he call out his captains and teammates? Couture? Burns? Karlsson?

Not everybody has to comment about things on social media especially someone who doesn't even use it. It's not like anybody can voice their real opinions anyways. If it's not inline with the beehive mentality you are going to get cancelled.

Couture already spoke out. Karlsson did today, too. Kane picked Brady and Crosby because they are the biggest names in their respective sports.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Crosby can't do much to help across the world so much, but maybe he can help within the sport. Not so much with tweets, but in the locker room and whatnot. I'd hope if this kind of thing was ever an issue in the Pens room that he'd show that it isn't just platitudes, even if we never find out about it.

And like it or not, tons of kids look up to star athletes. It might not help today, but every little bit of positive attitude can help imo. He probably isn't changing jimmy bob's mind, but maybe jimmy bob's son will hear what Sid is saying and think about it a little bit.

Reactions: Shady Machine

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
People want support from them, not insight.

Cool, if true. Seems like the expectation is to give more than just a two sentence 'I stand against bullshit' tweet, though.

Crosby can't do much to help across the world so much, but maybe he can help within the sport. Not so much with tweets, but in the locker room and whatnot. I'd hope if this kind of thing was ever an issue in the Pens room that he'd show that it isn't just platitudes, even if we never find out about it.

And like it or not, tons of kids look up to star athletes. It might not help today, but every little bit of positive attitude can help imo. He probably isn't changing jimmy bob's mind, but maybe jimmy bob's son will hear what Sid is saying and think about it a little bit.

I'd very much assume Crosby would have absolutely ZERO f***ING tolerance for any sort of bullshit like that that.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Massive props to Sid all day every day. But yes.. let's keep this very light on the topic. Not every thread needs to turn into social matters, political matters, coronavirus matters, etc. It's a very very VERY tough time in the world right now but hockey's future is not the forum for the needed discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad