Crosby releases statement regarding George Floyd's death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Cool, if true. Seems like the expectation is to give more than just a two sentence 'I stand against bullshit' tweet, though.

I'd very much assume Crosby would have absolutely ZERO f***ING tolerance for any sort of bullshit like that that.
I would too. But I'm cool with him letting people know that in a time like this. I also get why he would keep it pretty simple though. Dude's pretty private about normal topics let alone controversial stuff.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Massive props to Sid all day every day. But yes.. let's keep this very light on the topic. Not every thread needs to turn into social matters, political matters, coronavirus matters, etc. It's a very very VERY tough time in the world right now but hockey's future is not the forum for the needed discussion.

Just bumping this for the new page :)

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I'm happy with the statement.

I'll be happier if I see some action behind the words.

I'm also happy with the idea that at times like these people look to leaders, and Sid is a leader of the hockey community. He didn't ask for it but he is and that does carry a responsibility.

A few months ago Sid donated new hockey equipment to minority kids in Nova Scotia. The equipment went to Black kids, indigenous kids, and little girls who play hockey. I think Sid can always do something more about racism because most of us can, but he is doing something concrete to address inequality.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I do think @Ogrezilla hit it on the head. Whether we like it or not, people look up to sport stars as role models. I always found it weird/funny because they are not asked to be in that situation. Being good at hockey doesn't make you always the greatest human. But i'm glad this sport is represented by amazing men and women across the globe. Sid is a great representation and there are many others. So if Sid can influence some good here... i'm in. But that's so weird to write.

As always - good on Sid. Amazing leader. He and Mario just seem to always have good strong words while not over-speaking. Very strong leadership skills.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
I don’t understand the notion that Crosby as an elite hockey player - and nothing more, professionally - has any kind of responsibility to release a 4 sentence tweet on a social movement. The guy backs his beliefs with actions. He is constantly engaged in and donating to good causes. Let the guy have his privacy while he can. He doesn’t need a guy like Kane guilting him into saying something over social media that ultimately has a far smaller impact than the actions he already makes to give back to those around him.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don’t understand the notion that Crosby as an elite hockey player - and nothing more, professionally - has any kind of responsibility to release a 4 sentence tweet on a social movement. The guy backs his beliefs with actions. He is constantly engaged in and donating to good causes. Let the guy have his privacy while he can. He doesn’t need a guy like Kane guilting him into saying something over social media that ultimately has a far smaller impact than the actions he already makes to give back to those around him.

Because narcissists on social media (that broadcast their every thought and opinion) don't have any awareness that the vast majority of people aren't like them. So they have this notion in their heads if someone isn't constantly publicly denouncing all the problems that pop up every single day that they then must be in favor of them.

For example, I saw so much crap on just insta were if you didn't post a black box then you were immediately labeled a racist and right wing. That's the binary lens we've devolved into seeing people through. And it's sad.

It's a world were virtue signaling signifies if you're a good person or not... Not actually living your life as a good person.

Last edited:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean... don't miss one simple point. Big time places like ESPN who need clicks are just waiting for athletes to say the wrong thing so they can get some clicks/traffic. It's a sad world to exploit a topic that desperately needs attention because they want someone to say something wrong and take advantage.

It's quite sickening.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Knowing where a player stands on basic human decency is always welcome, and Crosby passes with flying colors.

Amen. Not to make the all-time Sid shrine, but people always put these kids up very high and Sid, as usual, overshot expectations. Dude is legit someone you look to with respect. He has earned it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Amen. Not to make the all-time Sid shrine, but people always put these kids up very high and Sid, as usual, overshot expectations. Dude is legit someone you look to with respect. He has earned it.

I’m not sure why we are allowed to make comments like this and not criticize Crosby’s behavior?

Isn’t this comment inherently political as well?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Because narcissists on social media, that broadcast their every thought and opinion, don't have any awareness that the vast majority of people aren't like them. So they have this notion in their heads if someone isn't constantly publicly denouncing all the problems that pop up every single day that they then must be in favor them.

For example, I saw so much crap on just insta were if you didn't post a black box then you were immediately labeled a racist and right wing. That's the binary lens we've devolved into seeing people through. And it's sad.

It's a world were virtue signaling signifies if you're a good person or not... Not actually living your life as a good person.

I think it largely has to do with the organization making comments about how their game is for everyone and contradicting it through their actions. But to be honest that is a league wide thing.

Kind of like US Hockey releasing a statement while employing scum like Vanbiesbrouck.

I agree with your overall message of people turning this into a social media obligation though.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I’m not sure why we are allowed to make comments like this and not criticize Crosby’s behavior?

Isn’t this comment inherently political as well?

You can take this to private messages with me if you want, but I'm not sure what I said has ANY relation to politics? Like at all. I just value Sidney Crosby as one hell of a human being from what I see. Constantly helping others. A true Pittsburgher that I am very proud of. I don't know him personally but the optics are quite amazing for this kid.

Just think... the camera has been on him since he was 13? That is awesome that he lived up and far surpassed expectations. Being a kid I don't even know how i would have handled all that. Probably not well.

I apologize if i veered off topic. I'm just very very very happy with #87. People like he, Mario, and MANY men and women who play this game make me so proud to be a fan. SO damn proud. And I apologize if i took away from teh thread. Wasn't my intent. This is the Pittsburgh Penguins forum so I just wanted to be a fan boy lol.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You can take this to private messages with me if you want, but I'm not sure what I said has ANY relation to politics? Like at all. I just value Sidney Crosby as one hell of a human being from what I see. Constantly helping others. A true Pittsburgher that I am very proud of. I don't know him personally but the optics are quite amazing for this kid.

Just think... the camera has been on him since he was 13? That is awesome that he lived up and far surpassed expectations. Being a kid I don't even know how i would have handled all that. Probably not well.

I apologize if i veered off topic. I'm just very very very happy with #87. People like he, Mario, and MANY men and women who play this game make me so proud to be a fan. SO damn proud. And I apologize if i took away from teh thread. Wasn't my intent. This is the Pittsburgh Penguins forum so I just wanted to be a fan boy lol.

I’m just honestly surprised this thread is still open. It seems like a way for stans to celebrate Sid.

That being said, I agree Sid is a fantastic community leader and it is clear he learned from Lemieux where most of his charity and good will isn’t done for publicity.

The Penguins org has been largely blessed with its players and is one of the reasons I latched on to the org.

That being said there are clearly some notable examples (2017, Trottier and Stevens on Bellows) that the org should denounce if they truly are “hockey for everyone”.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
The “Sid shouldn’t need to comment” crowd is fair and fine. But he is a role model. He is looked up to and respected. His speaking up may change minds and alter views. Isn’t that worth him putting out a release?

We don't know if this statement was sincere or if it was due to Kane whining

If it's the former, fine. If it's the latter that's the definition of pandering and says more about the PC crowd than it does Sid. We all know who Sid is as a human being and that's all that matters

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I’m just honestly surprised this thread is still open. It seems like a way for stans to celebrate Sid.

That being said, I agree Sid is a fantastic community leader and it is clear he learned from Lemieux where most of his charity and good will isn’t done for publicity.

The Penguins org has been largely blessed with its players and is one of the reasons I latched on to the org.

That being said there are clearly some notable examples (2017, Trottier and Stevens on Bellows) that the org should denounce if they truly are “hockey for everyone”.

Pixie... come on. I understand a lot of things said on the ice are disgusting. Hell.. let's face reality. Every single person on HF had said something stupid they regret or didn't really feel. Man come on. I'd love to put my life on some high ground but in reality i'm a flawed human. I make mistakes. I played hockey and on teh ice i've heard DISGUSTING things between friends who are out after having a beer and hugging. I've watched best friends fist fight and say nasty things. We break... we mend... we try to just get better.

I pray, wish, and pray some more this was such a different world. If you don't want to support the team because some of these moments - I respect your opinion and honestly I completely support you. But man... not everyone is racist. Not everyone is homophobic. There are good people in this world. And it's hard right now.

I will just reiterate one single point. This is not a mandatory board. You have every right to leave. This is hockey's future - Pittsburgh Penguins. Political boards and other discussions are all around the web.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Pixie... come on. I understand a lot of things said on the ice are disgusting. Hell.. let's face reality. Every single person on HF had said something stupid they regret or didn't really feel. Man come on. I'd love to put my life on some high ground but in reality i'm a flawed human. I make mistakes. I played hockey and on teh ice i've heard DISGUSTING things between friends who are out after having a beer and hugging. I've watched best friends fist fight and say nasty things. We break... we mend... we try to just get better.

I pray, wish, and pray some more this was such a different world. If you don't want to support the team because some of these moments - I respect your opinion and honestly I completely support you. But man... not everyone is racist. Not everyone is homophobic. There are good people in this world. And it's hard right now.

I will just reiterate one single point. This is not a mandatory board. You have every right to leave. This is hockey's future - Pittsburgh Penguins. Political boards and other discussions are all around the web.

I don’t think Stevens or Trottier are sexist or homophobic. I don’t think the Pittsburgh organization supports police lives over civilian lives.

But, this movement is about dialogue and self analysis as you pointed out. I think Crosby should expect to answer some topical questions when they return to play. And I expect it to be something that is brought up regularly if we are truly about “changing the game” as the org and players have said they are.

That’s all I’ll say on the matter.

Reactions: vodeni

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I don’t think Stevens or Trottier are sexist or homophobic. I don’t think the Pittsburgh organization supports police lives over civilian lives.

But, this movement is about dialogue and self analysis as you pointed out. I think Crosby should expect to answer some topical questions when they return to play. And I expect it to be something that is brought up regularly if we are truly about “changing the game” as the org and players have said they are.

That’s all I’ll say on the matter.

Crosby isn't compelled to answer any of those questions. Plenty of athletes give a "no comment" and the media/public should respect those stances

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The “Sid shouldn’t need to comment” crowd is fair and fine. But he is a role model. He is looked up to and respected. His speaking up may change minds and alter views. Isn’t that worth him putting out a release?

Cue the old Charles Barkley I’m not your role model clip.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

tumblr_o8xz7rCLzS1vragpoo2_250.gifv

Reactions: Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad