Crosby releases statement regarding George Floyd's death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
<Raises hand>

My wife gets annoyed because whenever we go to a new city and we come across a statute/memorial I have to stop and read it
Realize I'm in the minority in this.

This guy too. My wife can't stand going to museums with me because I take forever and insist on reading nearly everything.

I knew there'd be some of you :laugh:

Honestly, I did go through a phrase of doing it... but damned if I can remember any of them now.

I went to Berlin last year. Visited the Holocaust memorial there. There were kids playing hide and seek, teenagers jumping on them, people picnicking... I mean, people have their own ideas of respect, but I'm not sure how many people learned a lesson. And if not there...

Well, we're beating a dead horse here. But there we go.

I find museums to be drab, cold, uninspiring and boring. Of course I feel the same way about strip clubs. I'm pretty peculiar I guess.

Basically, if you can't touch it, you don't like it, right?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I knew there'd be some of you :laugh:

Honestly, I did go through a phrase of doing it... but damned if I can remember any of them now.

I went to Berlin last year. Visited the Holocaust memorial there. There were kids playing hide and seek, teenagers jumping on them, people picnicking... I mean, people have their own ideas of respect, but I'm not sure how many people learned a lesson. And if not there...

Well, we're beating a dead horse here. But there we go.

Basically, if you can't touch it, you don't like it, right?
Uh no, not really. lol

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
My opinion is NONE of the statues should be taken down and that some people may be looking for drama where there isn't any. I don't believe for a second that the vast majority of people regardless of race wake up every day feeling oppressed or terrified because there are statues of individuals who fought for the confederacy. That's just outlandish, attention getting and a select few constantly wanting to play the victim. If you're THAT offended, elect individuals who put laws in place to tear all of them down. Good luck with that.

You and I duke'd it out yesterday so I won't get back into it. I'll just say I don't think anyone is saying they feel oppressed just because of those statues (or the confederate flag). It's just another reminder of oppression and they serve very little purpose from an educational perspective.

Anyway, good day.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
How were the Confederate statues used in the past? Don't you realize WHY they were constructed and who constructed them? There was never an intent to educate. They were used to intimidate and justify continued racism.

Jiggy's comparison might seem wild, but it's actually pretty damn comparable.

If you read my responses you would know that I know exactly why they were put in place.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Um. Statues are almost exclusively for CELEBRATING someone or something

Aushwitz was not built as an effigy or celebration. It is maintained in perpetuity as a symbol for how dark and evil man can be. I suppose it could be bulldozed and a plaque put there instead...

How you can compare a statue celebrating a dick in history to a f***ing concentration camp memorial is really confusing. Huge disconnect there.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Ah, your disgust missed the memo..

"Peter Eisenman said he wanted visitors to the memorial to behave freely, and has said he can imagine it as a place where children play between the pillars or picnic on the fringes. He has made it clear that he wants it to be a part of every day life rather than a holy place"

Play Time at the Holocaust Memorial | DW | 13.05.2005

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ah, your disgust missed the memo..

"Peter Eisenman said he wanted visitors to the memorial to behave freely, and has said he can imagine it as a place where children play between the pillars or picnic on the fringes. He has made it clear that he wants it to be a part of every day life rather than a holy place"

Play Time at the Holocaust Memorial | DW | 13.05.2005

*shrugs* As I said, I'm not judging whether they were being respectful i.e. I'm not disgusted. I am speculating whether they took anything from it. Not that walking around looking solemn, or reading all the information panels, proves much either but people's ability to forget important stuff about the remarkable places they visit while doing ordinary things is pretty good.

Okay, I'm a little disgusted that anyone thought encouraging children to run really fast around a place with tons of blind corners and lots of big stone blocks with sharp enough edges was a good idea. But mainly admiring because I don't like kids that much.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I agree. Kids suck hahahaahh their parents are WORSE lol

Reactions: Mr. T

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
*shrugs* As I said, I'm not judging whether they were being respectful i.e. I'm not disgusted. I am speculating whether they took anything from it. Not that walking around looking solemn, or reading all the information panels, proves much either but people's ability to forget important stuff about the remarkable places they visit while doing ordinary things is pretty good.

Okay, I'm a little disgusted that anyone thought encouraging children to run really fast around a place with tons of blind corners and lots of big stone blocks with sharp enough edges was a good idea. But mainly admiring because I don't like kids that much.

I loved that museum, and Berlin’s museums in general...well, Berlin come to think of it...great city...I loved the walks you could take encountering history/ruins outside with lots of reading to do...great stuff

Reactions: Peat

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Um. Statues are almost exclusively for CELEBRATING someone or something

Aushwitz was not built as an effigy or celebration. It is maintained in perpetuity as a symbol for how dark and evil man can be. I suppose it could be bulldozed and a plaque put there instead...

How you can compare a statue celebrating a dick in history to a f***ing concentration camp memorial is really confusing. Huge disconnect there.

I addressed this earlier and it was ignored but you're right. The true comparable to something like Aushwitz here in the states would be plantations (it's not close to a perfect, but it's the closet). No one is demanding those be razed, but they want more awareness of what happened there. Far, far different than statues erected in the 1930s.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I addressed this earlier and it was ignored but you're right. The true comparable to something like Aushwitz here in the states would be plantations (it's not close to a perfect, but it's the closet). No one is demanding those be razed, but they want more awareness of what happened there. Far, far different than statues erected in the 1930s.

This is one thing we can agree on

I should have been more clear in my earlier posts about slave owners and statues. Yes many of those statues were a direct middle finger to black people in the south. I believe those should come down.

My concern about taking other statues down related to guys like George Washington and others who did plenty of good things yet owned slaves since that was normal at the time. Those should remain, but it's more complicated where you draw the line there.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
This is one thing we can agree on

I should have been more clear in my earlier posts about slave owners and statues. Yes many of those statues were a direct middle finger to black people in the south. I believe those should come down.

My concern about taking other statues down related to guys like George Washington and others who did plenty of good things yet owned slaves since that was normal at the time. Those should remain, but it's more complicated where you draw the line there.

I think @Honour Over Glory basically hit on the only way to do it....you present all the facts. Let people make their mind up.

Basically, " Thomas Jefferson was a pivotal founder of what would become the United States of America. He also maintained personal ownership of slaves." etc etc etc

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Thank you for sharing. I had not seen that before and watched the entire clip before commenting.

I, as usual, agree completely with Mr. Burns, as well as James Baldwin. I actually have a signed copy of Go Tell it on the Mountain from him.

I am not sure how that is a counter for what I am saying. It argues strongly my point. That history should be remembered, contextualized and explained. Otherwise the lessons are lost.

Brilliant!

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Sorry for jumping in late saying the same things as a few others @Jaded-Fan

My main take here is that you are rightly concerned about preserving history BUT I think you are concerned about the wrong thing. US history has been taught incorrectly to the benefit of the white majority for hundreds of years. Tearing down these statues, in my estimation, does more to teach accurate history than it does to destroy it.

Now, there are some instances that go too far, but particularly on the Confederacy and Columbus, It's beyond time to tear down and move forward.
I understand the concern over the escalation of removing statues, but for those honoring the Confederacy, no one should object.

1) They were almost all constructed to intimidate Black people, not to tell history. The time periods when these statues were erected illustrate this.

2) The "history" that these statues celebrate is the imaginary Lost Cause, a continuation of white supremacy.

3) The Confererates committed treason. What kind of nation puts up statues to f***ing traitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad