Crosby has 4 goals in his last 27 games. Is he still hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
The Pens are 8-3-2 in their last 13 (after starting 10-3-1 in their first 14), and they've gotten less than 2 PPs/game in their last 13 games. All of which while missing a lot of players due to injury. But yes, continue talking about how the Pens are going to be sliding down the standings.
the slide is obvious to unbiased eye, the beauty of the stats is that you can spin and present them in a fashion to fit the agenda which is all is ok and on track, that's not the case, look at it this way, Pens went 10-2-1 in their first 13games, I cut it at 13 because game 14 was a blow out loss to the Rangers which was the turn around game, at game 14 is when Refs stopped giving out PPs in bunches to the Pens, and the Pens slide began since that game, Pens are 8-4-2 beginning game 14, and in the last 10 games Pens are 5-3-2, and this last 10 games record includes unimpressive 1:0 win against bad Devils teams and lucky point against the Rangers few nights ago... lack of enough PPs is not the only reason, yes number of injuries have an impact as well, no quetsion

But beyond stats, the eye test says Pens are not good 5on5 team and without a bunch of PPs they are .500team give or take in the weakest division, as I said give this another 4weeks and the record will catch up with what I am seeing on the ice and reflect what I am saying today

Last edited:

penguins2946*

the slide is obvious to unbiased eye, the beauty of the stats is that you can spin and present them in a fashion to fit the agenda which is all is ok and on track, that's not the case, look at it this way, Pens went 10-2-1 in their first 13games, I cut it at 13 because game 14 was a blow out loss to the Rangers which was the turn around game, Pens slide began since that game, Pens are 8-4-2 beginning game 14, and in the last 10 games Pens are 5-3-2, and this last 10 games record includes unimpressive 1:0 win against bad Devils teams and lucky point against the Rangers few nights ago...

Huh, it's almost like the Pens started to get a ton of injuries after their impressive start. What a shocker, a team without Hornqvist, Letang, Kunitz and Bennett is a worse team than a team with them. What's a lot more likely and rational is that the Pens had an unsustainable pace to start the season (133 point pace to start the season, then 105 point pace when injuries started happening), and they're coming back down to earth now due to injuries and less PPs getting called. But that's just logic talking. Even in their last 10, they are still at a 98 point pace, which is still good.

But beyond stats, the eye test says Pens are not good 5on5 team and without a bunch of PPs they are .500team give or take in the weakest division, as I said give this another 4weeks and the record will catch up with what I am seeing on the ice and reflect what I am saying today

And that's absolutely stupid and laughable. The Pens are a top team in both ES goals/game and ES goals against/game, and they have been significantly above a .500 team with very little PPs and injuries over the last 10-15 games. But you'll ignore that because it goes against your blatant agenda.

LGP89

Feb 15, 2012
His concussion was minor. What kept him out 10 months was a lingering stress fracture in his neck that caused the same symptoms of a concussion. Probably hundreds of thousands spent on doctor visits, and it was his first visit to a new doctor 9 months after it happened that it was found. Really is a shame...

It's no coincidence that he returned to play fully like 2 weeks after he got the fluid drained in his neck and began treatments for that. I thought this was widely known?

This guy gets it. I don't think Sid's problems in the past or present were too related to a concussion. After he had the neck procedure, he came right back.

I honestly don't think the neck issues are widely known... I think people got too hot and bothered about the big bad C word and generally want to cling onto the bad news for a talking point then to admit there isn't anything wrong.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
bust

honestly he does go through the occasional drought like anyone else, and doesn't have much chemistry with current linemates spaling and downie

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Huh, it's almost like the Pens started to get a ton of injuries after their impressive start. What a shocker, a team without Hornqvist, Letang, Kunitz and Bennett is a worse team than a team with them. What's a lot more likely and rational is that the Pens had an unsustainable pace to start the season (133 point pace to start the season, then 105 point pace when injuries started happening), and they're coming back down to earth now due to injuries and less PPs getting called. But that's just logic talking. Even in their last 10, they are still at a 98 point pace, which is still good.

And that's absolutely stupid and laughable. The Pens are a top team in both ES goals/game and ES goals against/game, and they have been significantly above a .500 team with very little PPs and injuries over the last 10-15 games. But you'll ignore that because it goes against your blatant agenda.
well, first you attack my statement that Pens are in a slide by twisting and spinning the stats, then when I beat you back with the stats you bring up excuses why the slide is happening, I agree that lack of PPs and injuries are the factor not sure why you getting in to a fight when we are saying the same thing here...

getting 12points out of 20 is pretty close to .500 and it will get worse in the next 3-4weeks, at least that's my prediction based on what I see on the ice... not sure why you call statement of simple facts "stupid"

Last edited:

penguins2946*

well, first you attack my statement that Pens are in a slide by twisting and spinning the stats, then when I beat you back with the stats you bring up excuses why the slide is happening, I agree that lack of PPs and injuries are the factor not sure why you getting in to a fight when we are saying the same thing here...

Sliding would be going something like 4-7-3 in 14 games, not going 8-4-2 in 14 games. If Crosby scores 29 points in 14 games, and he goes back down to 19 points in the next 14 games, is he sliding or is he coming back down to Earth? It's pretty clearly the first.

getting 12points out of 20 is pretty close to .500 and it will get worse in the next 3-4weeks, not sure why you call statement of simple facts "stupid", watch more games without rose colored glasses

That's a difference of 98 points and 82 points over a full season. That's not pretty close to .500 at all, that's a pretty drastic difference. No, the things I am calling stupid are the things like the Pens would be a .500 team without the PPs, even though they've been a 105 point team in the last 14 with significantly less PPs than PKs and with injuries.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
thats a risky bet. he need to average .38 goals per game and play in all of the Penguins remaining 55 games (he has never played a full 82 game season). his career average GPG is .45, so it isn't really a lock.

side note - 2 goals in 19 games for the "best player in the world" is nothing?

He's the best player in the world, not the best goal scorer.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Meh..I'm not too worried about Sid right now. He's been getting really good looks every game for the last little while and could've easily doubled his production in the last 10-15 games Eventually they'll start going in.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
What's frustrating for fans the past few games is the lack of wingers and coaching decisions. The downside to Crosby's game is that he is always generous with the puck even when his linemates are never able to dish it back to him. Hornqvist has been a great addition, but he tends to shoot almost all the time whether or not there's a better option, so the puck doesn't get back to Sid either. When the same thing happens to Geno, the guy just tries to make everything happen on his own, and it's incredibly amazing to watch when he can, but even he can't do it all the time.

Us fans have been complaining so much about the top 2 lines, because of a refusal to stack the top line as we only have two top 6 players at this point. It's a bad fit because of a lack of chemistry in linemates.

If you're watching the stat sheet, yeah Crosby's not doing as well as he usually does, if you're watching the games, the effort level is there. Us fans have been treated to 87 and 71 both playing extremely well both at the same time in the past few games. And that's been incredibly great.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Sliding would be going something like 4-7-3 in 14 games, not going 8-4-2 in 14 games. If Crosby scores 29 points in 14 games, and he goes back down to 19 points in the next 14 games, is he sliding or is he coming back down to Earth? It's pretty clearly the first.

That's a difference of 98 points and 82 points over a full season. That's not pretty close to .500 at all, that's a pretty drastic difference. No, the things I am calling stupid are the things like the Pens would be a .500 team without the PPs, even though they've been a 105 point team in the last 14 with significantly less PPs than PKs and with injuries.

Look at his posting history, there's no need to waste your time arguing :laugh:

Dominate Kesler

Oct 4, 2011
Heard alot this offseason about his wrist. 2 goals in his last 19 and only 9 on the year. Shooting % is at 11.5.
Is his wrist still bothering him, or is this what we are going to get from Sid from now on, a 25-30 goal scorer.
I don't think he minds as long as hes racking up the PP assists and/or secondaries.

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
Don't know why people bring up lemieux and gretzky... Crosby is not even comparable to Jagr.
Era Adjusted NHL Point Scoring Leaders

Player|Years Active|Games|Points|Pts/Game
Mario Lemieux|1984-06|915|1518|1.66
Wayne Gretzky|1979-99|1487|2393|1.61
Sidney Crosby|2005-14|550|824|1.50
Peter Forsberg|1994-11|708|947|1.34
Bobby Orr|1966-79|657|877|1.33
Evgeni Malkin|2006-14|518|688|1.33
Alex Ovechkin|2005-14|679|875|1.29
Jaromir Jagr|1990-14|1473|1824|1.24

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Doesn't matter. They'll still choke in the playoffs.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Seriously, stop with this and admit Geno is currently playing better, exactly like Sid was playing better in 2010 for example.
The linemates excuse is getting boring, especially considering Sid has had overall the better linemates this season.

I love how when Geno's linemates are shining, they suddenly become better than Sid's linemates.

Malkin is playing great, but that doesn't change the fact that Comeau has been the Pens' best winger for a while now.

penguins2946*

Doesn't matter. They'll still choke in the playoffs.

How relevant and insightful of a post. Bravo, you've convinced me.

The large majority of the problem was eliminated when Bylsma was fired. Let's see how a non idiot coach does with this roster.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

The large majority of the problem was eliminated when Bylsma was fired. Let's see how a non idiot coach does with this roster.

I eagerly await seeing who the new scapegoat will be next year.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012

Crosby would outscore Gretzky if we time warped him into the modern NHL. He would also destroy Gretzky if we time warped him to the 70s/80s.

penguins2946*

I eagerly await seeing who the new scapegoat will be next year.

So you're just going to copy what I said? How mature of you. Maybe you shouldn't be making posts that are just baiting other people and not at all relevant to the thread. Crazy thought, I know.

The Pens got rid of the biggest problem on the team, let's see how it plays out this year. Bylsma was a terrible coach, Johnston will be a huge plus. No one knows what will happen, but most people are expecting them to do much better.

Monstar Jay*

Crosby would outscore Gretzky if we time warped him into the modern NHL. He would also destroy Gretzky if we time warped him to the 70s/80s.

Crosby would never destroy or even be even with gretzky EVER

Gretzky without the clutch and grab and being alowd the two line pass would score just as much as he did back then today maybe .2 less at most.

You do realize a high 30 year old gretzky with a bad back out scored a 20 year old jagr who is still a 50 point player at 40 years old playing today? Learn some hockey bro

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Sid right now reminds me of Gretzky's later years. Still a great passer/playmaker, but the shot no longer a real threat.

Disturbing for a megastar player in his prime.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

So Crosby is closer to Gretzky than he is to 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad