Crosby GOTY?

JudgeandJury

Jun 17, 2009
Sure it was. It took a bogus icing call to get the faceoff in the Montreal zone. Then Malkin had to dive head first into Price and push him into the goal while the puck bounced in off the back of Malkin's leg. Then they had to survive a review by Toronto that somehow didn't think it was goalie interference. That's a Triple Lindy type goal compared to two bats of a puck. :laugh:

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Sure it was. It took a bogus icing call to get the faceoff in the Montreal zone. Then Malkin had to dive head first into Price and push him into the goal while the puck bounced in off the back of Malkin's leg. Then they had to survive a review by Toronto that somehow didn't think it was goalie interference. That's a Triple Lindy type goal compared to two bats of a puck. :laugh:

Talk about a reach. Price was completely out of position and the puck already was in the blue paint by the time Malkin made contact with Price.

Goalie interference is becoming a joke because everyone thinks that these goalies aren’t allowed to be touched. Price was not even near the puck to make an attempt to stop what happened. Nor did Malkin thwart him from stopping it from going in.

Every fan base yells goalie interference if shit doesn’t go their way.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
This is pretty much the same goal from 8 years ago. This wasn't even close to GOTY 2010..or at least no one mentions it.

At least someone finally found one that is comparable. The rest that people are saying are "like that" just aren't. This one, he receives a mid-air pass, controlling it with the first bump and knocking it in with the second. Just like Crosby did.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
No. Ton of guys have the hand/eye to score a goal like that. It was the perfect storm of positioning, opportunity, luck, and skill. And he nailed it. Still impressive as hell, but come on. Juggling pucks isn't really that hard.

You're missing the point a bit. Plenty of guys can juggle. But Crosby's tap ALSO functions as a deke around a goalie. I've yet to see a video in all these "comparable" goals where the goalie is in position to make the save, but then the player goes around them with a mid-air tap.

The Grabovski one is a nice attempt, but that's A) only one mid-air tap, and B) it's starting from a position of puck control. Same thing with that nice Sherbatov goal. Crosby doesn't have that benefit. The puck is already bouncing in mid-air when it gets to him, and nothing about it is pre-planned -- it's purely instinctual.

Crosby + Benning = Ovechkin
And it's even not accurate, because Crosby didn't juggle the puck.

Like I said above, that's not the truly impressive part. Not to mention Ovie's touches the ice before he puts it in. In the process, Sid actually goes AROUND the goaltender. Changing the angle in mid-air like that is truly impressive.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
They're nice goals, but neither of them include a mid-air double-tap where the goalie is actually DEKED as part of the play. Which is a crucial difference many seem to be missing.
Did you watch the McDavid one? He double tapped it in the air and it was at full speed, much more impressive.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
At least someone finally found one that is comparable. The rest that people are saying are "like that" just aren't. This one, he receives a mid-air pass, controlling it with the first bump and knocking it in with the second. Just like Crosby did.

And that proof post was met with a "we get it you don't like Crosby" with 4 likes on it.

I guess proof scares some people.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
McDavid had a better one at full speed just a month ago.....

I really like this goal. I think the most impressive part of it is his reflexes. The difference between it and the Crosby goal is McD is reacting to a bounce... every part of Sid's goal was intentional. Unless you're suggesting that McD tipped it into the goalie, so that it would deflect back out, so that he could bat it in. If that's the case, I'd give McDavid's goal the nod.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Did you watch the McDavid one? He double tapped it in the air and it was at full speed, much more impressive.

That was deflected off the ice and then he swatted it out of the air. Players have scored plenty of goals like that over the years.

Nothing like what Crosby did.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

Indeed I have, and like a couple others have mentioned, it's a single bat out of the air, which was very impressive, but not the same situation. Like I've said many times before, the fact that the goalie is actually deked as part of Crosby's goal is a big part of what puts it a cut above all these other "similar" ones.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Kucherov no move goal on Holtby.

That's a cute move in a shootout, but doing what Crosby did during a game while being defended and where Price even tries to swing at the puck and then moves to stop the shot and is still beaten is a much much higher degree of difficulty.

Even you, an epic Pens hater, can appreciate that and admit that it is the best goal of the year, so far.

If Ovy did that, I would have zero issues saying it was the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad