Crosby diagnosed with a concussion

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
You seem to be glossing over the fact that Crosby broke his C1 and C2 vertebrae which caused him to miss as much time as he did. You're also claiming he heals from injury slowly without providing a shred of evidence for that.
I never ignored Sidney broke his vertebrae. I have concern over what is being reported three concussions in six years. I also concern Sidney has only played at least 80 games four time during an 11 year career.

Are concussions an issue with him? Perhaps.

Is that a cause for concern? Perhaps.

Should I, as a fan of hockey, wonder if Sidney should think about quality of life and that retirement could be an option down the road sooner then later? As a human being, I would be nothing but a selfish fan if I didn't.

Concussions are a horrible thing to have to deal with. You just cant diagnose somebodies concussion when you can't even diagnose a concussion if you had one yourself.
A concussion could take years to heal and have horrible side effects. Throw out he's concussion prone from the amount he has had in such a short span, and the risk of permanent damage increases dramatically.

This isn't about scoring titles, being a man or any of that blather. This is about living quality after hockey.

There's a video somewhere of the effects of concussions. I believe everybody deserves life quality of the highest order for their existence on this planet. Sidney has nothing left to prove on the ice and if he walked away, I wouldn't be shocked or sad, but proud of him for thinking about his future.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I never ignored Sidney broke his vertebrae. I have concern over what is being reported three concussions in six years. I also concern Sidney has only played at least 80 games four time during an 11 year career.

Are concussions an issue with him? Perhaps.

Is that a cause for concern? Perhaps.

Should I, as a fan of hockey, wonder if Sidney should think about quality of life and that retirement could be an option down the road sooner then later? As a human being, I would be nothing but a selfish fan if I didn't.

Concussions are a horrible thing to have to deal with. You just cant diagnose somebodies concussion when you can't even diagnose a concussion if you had one yourself.
A concussion could take years to heal and have horrible side effects. Throw out he's concussion prone from the amount he has had in such a short span, and the risk of permanent damage increases dramatically.

This isn't about scoring titles, being a man or any of that blather. This is about living quality after hockey.

There's a video somewhere of the effects of concussions. I believe everybody deserves life quality of the highest order for their existence on this planet. Sidney has nothing left to prove on the ice and if he walked away, I wouldn't be shocked or sad, but proud of him for thinking about his future.

Yes, I know about concussions. I literally got one on Monday night and it got diagnosed at like 2:15 today. I know what concussions are. However, I can clearly see through what you're saying now based on your history of posting with regards to the Penguins and the obvious bias your showing here. The faux concern is really easy to see through when you consider the blatant bias you have shown against Crosby.

Know what a real hockey fan would do? They'd hope that Crosby would get better and would be able to come back to hockey at the fullest level. They wouldn't be wishing for him to retire, they'd be wishing for him to return to the sport he loves.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I just facepalmed so hard. Jesus christ, I don't even know how to respond to this. This is just willingly being ignorant and dismissing legitimate citations because you feel like it :laugh:

Do any of these sources work or are you going to arbitrarily dismiss them too:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sidney-crosby-suffered-neck-injury-1.1143537
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...-penguins-sidney-crosby-raises-many-questions
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/crosby-update-vertebrae-injury-concussion/

And they say he suffered the neck injury on top of the concussion.

What's the point?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Yes, I know about concussions. I literally got one on Monday night and it got diagnosed at like 2:15 today. I know what concussions are. However, I can clearly see through what you're saying now based on your history of posting with regards to the Penguins and the obvious bias your showing here. The faux concern is really easy to see through when you consider the blatant bias you have shown against Crosby.

Know what a real hockey fan would do? They'd hope that Crosby would get better and would be able to come back to hockey at the fullest level. They wouldn't be wishing for him to retire, they'd be wishing for him to return to the sport he loves.
But, what does your concussion have to do with Sidney's?

Bias towards Sidney? I just proclaimed him the best center in hockey in another thread. Concern about somebody's well being Trump's any sport. By saying Sidney has nothing left to prove on the ice, it's actually true. If concussions are an issue, remember, three in six years, then taking the time to properly rest is recommended and if retirement is an option, it shouldn't be over looked.

Sidney is a human being first, hockey player second

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He's going to keep playing. Just like Toews, Bergeron and Letang have despite their own concussions. So it's kind of moot to debate. No doctor is going to stop him or anyone else if they're symptom free.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
He's going to keep playing. Just like Toews, Bergeron and Letang have despite their own concussions. So it's kind of moot to debate. No doctor is going to stop him or anyone else if they're symptom free.
What do those players concussion histories have to do with Sidney's?

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
I just facepalmed so hard. Jesus christ. I dont even no how to respond to this. How anyone can be so foolhardy to point out bias against when they have bias for a certain subject is beyond me.

FWIW, there is no such thing as a "mild" concussion. A concussion is actually defined as "mild brain trauma", so yes, it is serious, in fact it is very serious. There are way to many subjective posts in this thread, but what may be more ignorant, is the subjective replies to these subjective posts, and this goes both ways. No one in here knows what the hell they are talking about really. Only Crosby's brain knows for sure.

Whether Crosby has had 1, 3, 6, or 300 concussions, I gaurandamntee you there is major concern in the Pens camp. Dont read stories and quotes in the media to suit your emotional needs. That is something that happens round these parts regularly.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016

in other words, they want crosby to do what's best for themselves

nobody is "wishing" for him to retire, some people actually care more about crosby the human being than just crosby the hockey player

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Here's a crazy thought - maybe we should leave the decision on whether Sid is healthy enough to play or not to him and his doctors, especially since I can confidently say that nobody here has access to his medical records.

The faux concern and self-righteous outrage from people who have no knowledge of the situation is getting nauseating.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

nobody is "wishing" for him to retire, some people actually care more about crosby the human being than just crosby the hockey player

You realize that a huge number of hockey players get concussions every season right ? And yet for some reason Radek Faksa for example didn't have a thread saying he should retire after his concussion in the World Cup. Probably because this so-called "concern" is actually just a way for people to bring down a player they don't like. Otherwise there'd be 300 concerned comments for a lot more players than just Crosby whose concussion history isn't actually bad.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Of course so you know nothing about his. This is his second concussion, first in almost 6 years, and it's apparently not serious at all. What you're saying actually sounds crazy to me as I know people who've had multiple serious concussions and they're fine. He is not retiring.

I agree that he could very well be fine. I hope so, and I hope he keeps playing. If he decides it's in his best interests to call it quits, I would totally respect his decision.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

No, it really seems like they just don't want to play against Crosby the hockey player/don't like Crosby the hockey player and would rather he retire. Especially when you look at who is advocating for him to consider retirement, that's a pretty easy conclusion to come to.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
You realize that a huge number of hockey players get concussions every season right ? And yet for some reason Radek Faksa for example didn't have a thread saying he should retire after his concussion in the World Cup. Probably because this so-called "concern" is actually just a way for people to bring down a player they don't like. Otherwise there'd be 300 concerned comments for a lot more players than just Crosby whose concussion history isn't actually bad.
Omg......

Concussions are bad. There's no such thing as a not so bad concussion. Whatever brain trauma another player has nothing to do with Sidney's brain. Good lord!!

The fact he has a history of concussions means it's bad. I really dont know what more needs to be said about Sidney's trauma but waking up with headaches is bad.

Never in my life....faux concern? This is about brain trauma. There's no such thing as faux concern when you are concerned about the mental health of a human being.

What if Crosby gets his bell rung one more time and suffers another concussion that takes years to heal? Which causes him years of pain and suffering? Is that worth it? For what?
After the first concussion your brain is never the same in your skull. I don't know just how this point is lost among all this talk about other things other then the topic at hand, Sidney's concussion history. Are motor skills worth losing years later for another scoring title? My lord.....

The nerve of some people....

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
No, it really seems like they just don't want to play against Crosby the hockey player/don't like Crosby the hockey player and would rather he retire. Especially when you look at who is advocating for him to consider retirement, that's a pretty easy conclusion to come to.
(Shakes head)

#illuminaticonfirmed

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I love how nobody seems to be taking into account that between the two concussions (even though the first wasn't really a concussion), he's only missed about a month and change or so of hockey. And most of that came in April 2013 when he broke his jaw.

There's no extra reason to be more concerned with Crosby getting this concussion then there should be concern for any other player getting concussed.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Omg......

Concussions are bad. There's no such thing as a not so bad concussion. Whatever brain trauma another player has nothing to do with Sidney's brain. Good lord!!

The fact he has a history of concussions means it's bad. I really dont know what more needs to be said about Sidney's trauma but waking up with headaches is bad.

Never in my life....faux concern? This is about brain trauma. There's no such thing as faux concern when you are concerned about the mental health of a human being.

What if Crosby gets his bell rung one more time and suffers another concussion that takes years to heal? Which causes him years of pain and suffering? Is that worth it? For what?
After the first concussion your brain is never the same in your skull. I don't know just how this point is lost among all this talk about other things other then the topic at hand, Sidney's concussion history. Are motor skills worth losing years later for another scoring title? My lord.....

The nerve of some people....

This is so ridiculous. If he has any other issues we'll hear about it later. In the meantime it's some alarmist ******** saying that his career might be ruined based on literally nothing. Presumably coming from people that actually watch hockey and know how frequently concussions happen. And yet I'm supposed to believe that it's not because it's Crosby instead of some scrub ? Hedman's had more concussions than he has so I guess that contract extension this summer was a poor decision by the Lightning since his career is basically over. And then you say "Why are you comparing other players' concussions to this ?" Uhh because you're making a big deal out of his and only his with absolutely nothing to back it up. Why aren't you equally "concerned" about these other players ?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
This is so ridiculous. If he has any other issues we'll hear about it later. In the meantime it's some alarmist ******** saying that his career might be ruined based on literally nothing. Presumably coming from people that actually watch hockey and know how frequently concussions happen. And yet I'm supposed to believe that it's not because it's Crosby instead of some scrub ? Hedman's had more concussions than he has so I guess that contract extension this summer was a poor decision by the Lightning since his career is basically over. And then you say "Why are you comparing other players' concussions to this ?" Uhh because you're making a big deal out of his and only his with absolutely nothing to back it up. Why aren't you equally "concerned" about these other players ?
Who says I wasn't?

Imo, anybody, it doesn't matter who, what team, what contact sport, who plays that same contact sport after a second concussion is a fool. It could be Sidney, Toews, Kris Bryant, whomever.

There is a horrible wrestling shoot interview floating around of the garbage wrestlers who used to hit each other in the head with chairs where these guys don even remember events from months, before where they are coached by the interviewer. Twitching, slurred speech, etc. (Granted, they could be under the influence) or the video of the football players who can't even get out of bed and dementia sufferers at an alarming rate. Hockey is a much faster sport with the point of impact also forceful.

Lindros was never the same after his second concussion.

Umberger was never the same after the Campbell hit.

Havlat was never the same after the Kronwall hit.

So, before anybody wants to say I have "faux concern" over Sidney, as a fan of this sport, the one thing I DONT want to see, is Sidney laying on the ice unresponsive from a cheap hit that will have a permanent effect on his well being.

This board.......m

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Well, they're comparable, if not significantly worse.

Bergeron has had more concussions, and Toews tried playing through a concussion in the playoffs a few years ago (I think it was against the Coyotes in 2012).

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Nobody on this board, and I mean nobody has any real insight to what Crosby is going through now, or in the past. I think I'll leave this matter up to the professionals and experts who deal with concussions and other injuries for a living.

If Sid wants to play when he's been fully cleared. Great. It's his and his choice alone.

And if he ever does decide to hang them up earlier than expected, he'll still have accomplished more than 99% of hockey players ever will at the NHL level and has already left a lasting mark on the league and more importantly Pittsburgh.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How do you compare one persons brain trauma to another's?

With a straight face......

I'm using players with similar or worse concussion history who continue to play in the league to explain why Crosby will not seriously consider retiring anytime soon. Do you not understand?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Why don't you tell us since you're the one comparing Crosby's brain to the brain of other players that have sustained multiple concussions and are still playing.
I am comparing Sidney to Sidney, thank you.

Sidney himself said he was waking up with headaches = bad

Not cleared to play= bad

Sidney has had three concussions in six years=bad

This isn't about anybody but Sidney(thread title) Sidney has three recorded instances of brain injury.

Think about that. Three times in his life (documented) he has injured his brain. That, imo, is scary.

Nobody knows if there's brain damage, no matter how small, already in Sidney's brain outside of Sidney and his doctors. That's scary also. How old is he? 29?30? That's a frightening thought to even comprehend for somebody so young. Young enough to question after everything he's accomplished is still playing even worth it?

And btw, if a Toews thread was made I would say the exact same thing. Human being first

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I'm using players with similar or worse concussion history who continue to play in the league to explain why Crosby will not seriously consider retiring anytime soon. Do you not understand?
Because their brain trauma effects Sidney's....how, again?

Or are you trying to say everybody has the same brain, same skull, same meninges, same amount of arachnoid mater, and suffered the exact same brain trauma?

Is that what your actually saying?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad